Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year I saw a lot of zombie targets, do you guys like to use these? Or, do you prefer NRA standard style targets? I am curious about what everyone likes to use and why.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
Tin cans, dirt clods and rocks make up most of my grandson and my targets. I do shot a lot of silhouette targets.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

For sighting in I shoot paper plates with either a 1" circle or an "L" marked on 'em with a magic marker.... just depending on the gun I'm using and the type of sights.

For load development I use the sight-in targets with the 4 squares around the big one in the center.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Welcome tj.

I like the 'Shoot-N-C' targets that you can see hits in the black with most 6x+ power scopes or higher power binocs, depending on caliber in use. They are self-sticky too. Other than that, 8x11 or 8x17 piece of paper and a black Sharpie felt marker traced around a drink cup and filled-in, stapled to the target stand.

I haven't bought a zombie target, and probably won't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Targets...

I use one-inch hollow circles for 100-yard centerfire groups from a bench, 5 circles per page on standard copy paper. For the big-bore "cowboy" guns like the single shot 45-70 etc I use 3/8-inch steel gongs, 18 X 18, 12 X 12 etc hanging from plant hangers duct-taped to steel posts that I drive into the ground with a post driver. They ring forever! They work well for the 1911 too, with lead bullets. Set 'em up at various distances. Make small ones for .22 LR etc. For off the wall fun targets, I use fruit, vegetables, potatoes, gourds, charcoal, 4 X 4 wood cubes, nerf balls, old pots and pans from the thrift store, rubber toys from the dollar store, clay pigeons, about anything except aluminum cans (they're no fun). For paper targets I used to always use small crosses that I would print out, but I like the small circles better - - easier to center the crosshairs on them. But now I'm talking very accurate target and varmint rifles with high-power scopes from the bench again. I've never had much use for the big bullseye targets they sell in the stores.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Furry ones. Welcome.

Deck

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My most favorite target was coffee can lids. I'd put a black or red sticker in the center and nail the can lid to a stump or section of 2 by 4 out at a 100 or 200 yards.
I had some incrediable 5 shot groups out of my 243.
My other favorite is the red plastic yogurt lids. They make great targets for pistol and rifle.
I decorate a pistol siluette target with the red lids for heart and brain shots out out at 500 yards.

Jim

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Paper tgts, some zombie tgts for the grandson, steel tgts for the .22LR and steel dualing tree for pistols.

CD

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I like these, but I will print some out from target sites too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like the shoot-n-see targets, golf balls, tannerite, pop bottles and this plate rack I made to practice for GSSF matches.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I've been using the Redfield by Outers for 20+ yrs. they're pictured above with the 4 small Diamonds and 1 large diamond.
In my opinion they're the best for sighting in, unlike round targets, you've got a refererence for your crosshairs with
the points of the diamonds.

·
Banned
997 Posts
Targets I Like:

Playing cards are fun:

Homemade 1" squares from an Excel Spread sheet help your aim:

Shoot-N-C are great for spotting:

AND walking sight-ins to POA:

Oh Yeah - 30-06 cases!!!

PS: Charcoal brickets are also a good fun target - They go puff in a cloud of black dust when hit and require no clean-up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah!

Ray, I love that Ace of Spades! I'm gonna try that. Gotta go find a deck of cards....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Targets

Bullseye targets. Whichever are appropriate for the distance and position.

Pete

·
Registered
342 Posts
I buy blaze orange copy paper ($5 for 500 sheets) and cut into 3 inch circles for 100 yds or 6 inch circles for 200 yards. I put these on white paper (old house plans, Tyvek, or freezer paper). The orange bull is very visable and the target has no black areas to hide a bullet hole.

Attachments

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,462 Posts
Pigs!!!!!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Hard to get a cloverleaf group though.
((:)D)))

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Ray, you shouldn't do that to 30-06 cases!:p

I like Mike's choice of pig targets the best though. Not much accuracy data to be gained, but terminal performance data is good!:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts