Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me an old, small .22 short single-action revolver. I have no idea what it is. There is no manufacturer on it but it does have a SN of 1288. It's an 8-shot with an octagon barrel. It was once stainless but is in rough shape. The black grips look like plastic and have a dog's head on them at the top. It has a trigger with no guard, much like an early Derringer. It is almost 6.5" and the barrel is 2.25". I can't figure out how to post photos, but I can send them along. Any ideas at all?

Thanks.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I think that there were several manufacturers who used the dog head as a logo, Merwin/Hulbert and Velo Dog come to mind. The finish is/was probably nickle rather than stainless.

For pics, you need to be a forum member for 10 days and have a minimum of 25 posts. Since you're shy on both counts, upload your pics to an offsite host such as Photobucket, then leave a link to those photos here in this thread.

Try to read the top of the barrel, many of the older gun makers used that area to put company info.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Most likely it is a Satruday Night special. If you look closely, is that barrel actually lined with a steel barrel over nickle plated metal?

With out a picturres is it virtually impossible to make a resonable guess.
Many manufacturers made birdshead grips.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Take the stocks off and see if there are any markings under them.

If not.... I would exercise caution in shooting it. You never know.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
the 22 short was introduced in the early 1870s IIIRC and within a decade the long rifle and the long were developed. There is a very short window in which 22 short revolvers were made; as soon as the lr came out the short chamber was basically abandon. Only target pistols and cheap SNS were made in short chambers since about 1900. the reason so many SNS were made it to keep the gun together, avoiding the higher forces of the long rifle cartridge.
can you get photos in photobucket and then post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More info

Thanks for the great replies, folks. I did something I never want to do...I used solvent on the gun and uncovered some info on the top of the barrel and frame. Thanks for the suggestion. It says: PAT. MCH 26, 71 MAY 27, 79 and BLUE JACKET 1 1/2

I'm sure not going to fire it, but it is interesting. I'll see about loading some photos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts