Shooters Forum banner

What should I get or what would get or recomend?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why not get a new AR upper in a different caliber?

I left out a few like the .17 and the .243 and ths wssms and whispers and ? I added the pse cross bow just cause I seen one today and was wondering if you would get one just for ? FUN? It seems cool enough and it shoots well. I only shot it a 1/2 dozen times. I also left out the .308 and the .223 cause thoses are givens! Most of these caliber ideas were from a magazine I was reading on AR's.:) Heard a rumor that some one on this site is making a 35 rem upper? How a bout a .416 Barrett or Cheytac. Oh I forgot the 6.8 spc too darn that seemed like a good one too! That's what I get for putting a bow and arrow upper on a gun nut forum!:(

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
You could buy my Target .223 upper...:)

I'm going with the 6.8 SPC after I sell the .223.

What lower do you have now? The AR 10 or AR 15?

·
Banned
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both! Every one needs at least two! Of each :)

·
Banned
217 Posts
I'm building at least 2 more complete ar's, one a pistol and one a car.

Past the .223/ 5.56 I see two cartridges that really shine. First the .458 Socom. This is the equivelent of the .45-70 and is good for almost any game larger than deer.

The second is the .300/.221, or .300 whisper, or .300 fireball. What ever you want to call it, this cartridge is a .308 that likes extremely heavy (240 grain) 30 caliber bullets, and suppressors. It is about as powerfull as the .30-30 Winchester.

Both of these rounds allow you to use standard military magazines for the 5.56 NATO. This is not a small concideration. With mags going for $15 to $30 each never mind the "which kind are these?" factor.

After these I plan to make uppers in .204 Ruger and one of the 6.5 cartridges. Not sure which one though, they are all pretty good.

Regards
Gene

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
For a AR15 lower my next upper would be a 6.8mm SPC. This would be used for deer hunting in NC. I already have a .22LR conversion and a 14.5" bbl upper in 5.56x45mm. I will built a complete M16A2 variant for DCM matches.

If I had a AR10 in .308 then the next would be a coustom barrel in .358 Winchester.

CD

·
Banned
61 Posts
Dum question for a .450 and .458

Say can hard cast bullets be fired in these gas operated rifles? Maybe there is no point with the .458 solids?

I have a Fulton Armory service rifle upper and a .300/.221, they both work very good. I built the lower from a DPMS at a gun show.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have always been cautious of using lead bullets in gas operated guns.

I don;t know if I'm right or not, but I have chosen not to try it.

I suppose, realistically, you would probably just have to clean the gas system more often.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a 223, 6.8SPC, 300 Whisper and a 450 Bushmaster, all with their own lowers. I also have another lower sitting around while I get parts for a 9mm build. There are many that you can do, what are you looking to do with it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts