Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is kind of along the same lines of the "what will you be using on opening day" thread, but i was thinking that some peeps like to use one weapon for everything, while others like to utilize the entire aresnal, if they can.

for myself, it breaks down like this:

WHITETAIL DEER
marlin m336cs .30/30
simmons 44mag 2-7x44mm scope
remington 150-grain core-lokt ammo

MULE DEER
herter's mj9 .308
tasco world class plus 3-9x44mm scope
federal 165-grain sierra gameking ammo

PRONGHORN ANTELOPE*
cz m550 american .275 rigby
leupold 3.5-10x50mm scope (unless jim needs it back!)
winchester 140-grain powerpoint ammo

ELK**
herter's mj9 .308
tasco world class plus 3-9x44mm scope
federal 165-grain sierra gameking ammo

*i plan to get an OTC doe tag, but haven't finalized these plans yet.

** IF i go.....

how about the rest of you guys?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
I hope to get in a little bowhunting for deer soon (season is open now).

Then I'll be taking IDShooter Jr. turkey hunting mid-September, using a 20ga Winchester pump. (I might take my bow along, but it's primarily his hunt)

If no deer with the bow, I'll take the 30-06 during the October elk/deer season in unit 4. (Win 70, 4X Leupold, 180gr Hornady handloads)

If no deer by the end of that season, I'll use the Marlin 336A with 170gr Speer handloads for the November deer season.(Lyman receiver sight on that one)

After that, it's coyotes with whatever strikes my fancy...

Sounds like a lot, but in truth I'll only be able to fit in a few days hunting around my work/school schedule. Wish me luck, I could use the meat!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,999 Posts
Haven't made up my mind yet - need some range time to sort the wheat from the chaff!! :confused:

·
Banned
41 Posts
Here it is:

Sept. ELK
60# Reflex
2216 Gamgetter / 125grn. Mechanical

Nov. Mule deer
Browning A-Bolt SS Stalker
Leup 3x9x50mm
150grn. Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads

Nov. White-tail
Custom 7mm-08
Nikon 3x9x40mm
140grn. Nosler Bal. Tip Federal Premium

7 MORE DAYS,
JB

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
All the pigs I can stand to shoot. I just rotate through the rifles/loads.....

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Mike,

The thing with pigs is hard for me to figure out. We still have lots of country folk that raise pigs for their own use and to sell at market. They keep feeder pigs a long time and you know some of them get away. Even though we feed a lot of corn for the deer those pigs never get far from the barnyard. You would think that through the years a wild population would have took hold but it has not. Other areas of the state, S.C., are overrun with the things. Mostly along the wild river bottoms.

I was just thinking. I guess we don't want them everywhere but the odd one every once in a while whould be neet. Most of my attention right now has turned to dog. We have a bad domestic dog problem. I don't like to shoot em but we have no choice. More dogs than deer. That is not a good situation.

Keep whacking those pigs!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Oh! I forgot tas.

.308 H&R Ultra with bushnel 3 x 9

30.06 Slide gun

1894 and SBH in 44 mag

57# Jeffery's Recurve or Old 45# Ben Pierson Recurve

FOR THE DEER

Single Six 22 with BSA 2x for small critters

10/22 for long range small critters.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The only rifle you will catch me in the woods with is a .22 for squirrels or a ML. No CF rifles allowed for deer. Bummer. Rifles shoot too far, but it is OK and legal to shoot a 30-06 in a 15" Encore. I've hunted for years with a .45-70, .309 JDJ, and .50 AK in my Contender and Encores, but rifles need not apply. But those same rounds in a rifle, too dangerous. Tell me the inmates are not running the asylum.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Win model 670 30-06 for deer, if i decide to hunt here in Alabama, a shotgun loaded with buckshot (not my choice)
Andy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Chief,

I suspect that the reason the pigs don't stray far from the farms is hormonal. The big boars aren't going to go far from the females.... I have heard of pig farms having problems with wild boars breaking IN to the pens....

Big Bore, that is insane, I agree, some of the laws make no sense at all. Grew up in Missouri where centerfire rifles are just fine on game. Across the border in Iowa and Illinois it was shotgun only. Tell me that there was 10 cents difference in the hunting areas of those states..... frankly, the rifle that you can hit with is less of a danger than the shotgun where people spray slugs around at random (have known a few hunters who admitted to shooting at game with shotguns when it was out of range and/or moving too fast).

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Fo me It's gonna be either my:

45 colt Winnie trapper for deer and bear
265Keith BTB or the 300's from BTB. <OR>

Marlin 38-55 for deer and bear
250gr. Barnes.

Pistol accompanyment will be the S&W Mountain gun in 45 colt using the 300gr. BTB's (about 1000fps)

For the Coyotes....
Howa lightning in .243 with factory Federal ammo 80gr.
Nikka-Stirling 3-9X 42mm

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
.Been thnking about this...are four long guns that haven't taken game for me yet. Havethreen well tewsted,but haven't been in the game field (at least for me). None of htem have a scope...whicih is OK by me as I gave ypu scoped rifles two years ago and started only hunting with IRON. (open...tang peep...reciever). Guess it's becasue i live in close cover (seamp) and have grown to like hunting close to home.

50/70 Gov....all 36" of barrel and 515gr. of lead ( a N.Y. Contract Rolling Block). a bit much for deer, but dead is dead. Have the first hunt already set for late Oct....if time for a second, wiull take out the .401WSL (it;s been out before).

10gr. percussion.double. Spend a good bit of time getting a .735" round ball 9just at 600gr.) to shoot from the left barrel. the right holds OOO buck. Get inside of 60 yards, and there isn't much I won't kill with (and 60yards is a pretty far bit in deep cover).

32-20 Marlin 27. Figure I'll use it for small game this year.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Though I didn't get to shoot, I've already been on a Dall Sheep, moose, grizzly & black bear hunt with my Ruger No.1 in 338 Win Mag.

Hoping for a weekend moose hunt in the next couple of weeks with the same rifle.

Maybe a deer and brown bear combo a bit later in the Prince William Sound carrying the 1895 Winchester in 411 Hawk.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,999 Posts
Alyeska -

We're all gonna be mighty disappointed if you don't figure some way to un-virgin that 1895 .411 Hawk! :D

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Deer

Early
Bow, carbon arrows, and NON-mechanical broadheads

Gun season
Ruger Bisley .41 Mag & Ruger Blackhawk Hunter .41Mag w/2x Leupold (I've got to blood it) This is like bow hunting for me, but the range is extended to 50-75yds instead of 30-40yds. 210gr Keith SWC at 1450fps will get it done.

Muzzleloader season
T/C Black Diamond w/Williams peep and Hornady Great Plains bullet with 80grs Pryodex RS (or black if I can find some and it's a good load) No 11 caps.

Late gun season
I'm gonna just look in the safe and see what looks good. .270 Weatherby in M70 will likely get the nod. 130gr Scirroco at 3300+fps will reach out, but I've yet to collect an animal with that load. The tempatation to take the .340 out is always there, and may be given in to.

In the area I'm hunting I can only have two tags that allow for a buck, those will be my muzzleloader and archery tags. Beyond that, I can hunt for three months with whatever weapon is in season and take as many deer as I want to eat, or purchase tags.

Winter-
The coyotes had better watch out! I likely have the .416 Rigby up and running. :) Think it will put them down? Failing that, I'll hunt with whatever I have at hand, which is most usually a .41 Mag of some sort in a revolver.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
kdub,
Believe me, if I get an opportunity to take it out this fall I'm going. When I returned from the sheep hunt I had a message from work sending me out for a couple of days to Yakutat for some closeout work. Things are really busy 'round here at this time of year.

I'm hoping to get to Hinchinbrook or Montague this late fall or early winter for a deer and brown bear hunt. If I do, the Hawk is going with me. :)

·
Banned
35 Posts
Hi all,
Sept-nov bow deer
reflex 62lb
beeman carbons with 100gr muzzy three blades

nov gun deer
remm 700 adl in .300 win mag
150 gr corelokt softpooint

ruger superblackhawk .44 mag
7-1/2 in barrel

Still shooting different rounds to decide. Any suggestions would help out alot
Good luck to all this season and good luck to our prey.
Nathan

·
Banned
126 Posts
While not totally decided at this point, I will probably use the following:

Antelope: Ruger No.1 in .257 Roberts; Leupold 2-7X w/ dot. 120 gr. Nosler partitions, 48 gr. 4350 at 2,900 fps.

Mule Deer: probably the same

Elk: Browning Model 71 in .450 Alaskan; 400 gr. Rem bullet with 58 gr. 3031 for 2,000 fps.
Backup will be a Browning 71 in .348 Win; 250 gr. Barnes, 53 gr. RL-15 for 2,200 fps. I've thought about taking it for deer also. Have to see.

dclark

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mule deer: CVA 50 cal percusson, 170 gr RB w/60 gr equiv Pyrodex. That's next weekend!

Elk: 375 Winchester, 250gr LFN BTB over 35.7gr RL-7 in WW 38-55 cases, for dark timber (Puma Hills).

Elk: 7mm Rem Mag, 175gr Nosler Part with some TBD charge of RL-25 in WW cases, for the open spaces (South Park). Haven't finished working up loads for this one yet. My cheap Simmons 44 Mag scope shook itself loose internally while beginning to work up these loads. Just got it back from warranty repair yesterday and need to sight it back in before getting started again.

As a side note, I've preached the virtues of the cheap scope in the past but now that one finally broke, after only 250 rounds, I've been giving this further consideration. I suspect that it's mostly related to recoil as the 7mm is my hardest kicking bolt gun, which is the only rifle type I have scoped.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Bart,
since your scope is off, you may want to evaluate your mounting options also. If you're using a windage type base, you might want to look into a dual dovetail style. I know they all work, but some always work. I've had trouble more than once with the Redfield windage style bases that used to come with the M70 Winchesters. I've been switching over to dual dovetails or Leupold QR's, and have no problems yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts