Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of manufacturer 'promotion' or 'special offer' would it take to make you seriously think about buying a new rifle or shotgun this year? Free ammo, shooting accessories, a guided hunt, a shopping spree, interest free financing, a field test trial period, something nice for the wife... ???

We are the shooters. Brainstorm with me and let me know all your wild and crazy ideas. Think out of the box. Help me out here because I might actually be able to help turn some of these ideas into reality.

Respond to this thread, or PM, or email me direct.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow, long time lurker, huh? Welcome here, glad you posted.

For me, I'm a student, so how about money towards my loans? For that matter, how about cheaper prices (without sacrificing quality - why pay less when you get garbage?). A student could always buy stuff for cheap, and be more motivated to do so if he/she could afford to eat for the rest of the week too. :p

Right now, it would matter what companies offered, I just need a job! :s

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Well, it's Tuesday, right? I mean...that's enough for me, sometimes. If it's not Tuesday, how about you throw in the reloading dies, 100 brass and 1 box o' bullets, my choice, for an additional $20?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I once got a flyer from Bass Pro in Columbia MO offering Stevens 200s in .30-06 and .270 for $199. I called up and said I wanted one. They laughed - "we sold all we had in about 30 minutes". However, they said they would order one for me at that price if I could wait a few weeks. I was torn on the caliber choice, but went with the 06. (I should have done one each, but I figured they must be junk rifles for that price and one was enough).

Well, they were simply tried and true Savage 110s with a plastic stock. I did a trigger job and scoped it with quality bases, rings and scope. Heck, the optics package was worth way more than the gun cost me. It shot 1.5" to 2" groups at first. I figured you get what you pay for. Then at about the 40 round mark on the third shooting session, I started getting these real little key-hole groups with a pet load. Once that barrel was broke in, it became the best shooting rifle I own. I may get a Houge overmolded stock for it. When you only have $199 in the gun, you can afford some upgrades.

So a deal like that (or close) would get me to buy no doubt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the only thing that would matter to me is if i can afford it. i buy what i want not what companies try to make look good with promotion if its right its right if its not its not. more money more guns and ammo.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the "Free Stuff" bit...I find too often it's stuff I don't want to begin with. I would rather have a sale, or to be more realistic, even a coupon (which I don't like as much) for the purchase of an additional gun, as long as it's a half decent amount off?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,718 Posts
A brick of primers might help, these days!

·
The Shadow
7,936 Posts
Think of the old Bud Dry comercials...
Why ask Why?
Never needed anything more than, "well, I'm bored and want another one"

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Well, it's Tuesday, right? I mean...that's enough for me

Yea pretty much...

1979 prices wouldn't hurt me much either. No stupid paperwork or waiting periods for my less free friends would be pretty sweet too.

Heck, if I have money in my pocket there is a good chance I'm buying a gun. Special stuff to go with it rarely sways me (unless it is a suppressor :) ).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It would be enough for me to know I was doing business with a company committed to honest value and that followed the principals of our nation.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If it was a caliber I don't currently load for, a set of dies would be neat.

Also, they could give you a choice: Dies if you don't have them, bullets or primers of similar value if you do.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
if i had the what i called gun money,,back when i had some exstra money..
guns weren t about money for me..i carried my stash all the time..
if i got it in my head i wanted one..id shop a bit... but more than likely before too long ..the gun i was interested in,, would follow me home..
Id look one day ..sleep on it an go back an get it ,,if i still wanted it that bad ,,the next mourning..slim
i wouldn t hold your breath hailstone..but it oughta be so..

·
Registered
816 Posts
How about this: Buy a rifle at regular price and get $100 off a new Leupold scope of your choice. It would have to be an instant savings though, none of that rebate junk. I always hate the rebate thing, you have to do X,Y and Z by this certain date and then wait 8-10 weeks to see the money. Most of the time they are just hoping you won't send the paperwork in on time or you will forget about it during the waiting period.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nothing extra but a fair price for the gun I wanted is all I ask.
I buy what I want when I want so no enticement other then a good price is going to sway me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How about buy one get one free for equal or lesser value.

Or buy a new X model new and get a used Y model from the shop purchased for free or a heavy discount. The manufacturer of the new rifle could rebate the shop for the price of the used one. Win Win for the shop and consumer.

I also like the free reloading dies and supplies idea or a couple boxes of ammo for those that do not reload.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I already bought a new gun this year. Looking for another at the moment. But it would be nice if they did throw in a set of dies or a couple of boxes of ammo. Or a discount off of quality glass to put on the new gun. Not some cheap junk they slap on combos now.

Darin

·
Banned
101 Posts
Anyone who wants to sell me something with a gimmick attached, must be hiding something. Here is something out of the box for ya......Try selling a quality product that doesn't need icing on it.

Genius.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Anyone who wants to sell me something with a gimmick attached, must be hiding something. Here is something out of the box for ya......Try selling a quality product that doesn't need icing on it.

Genius.
In an economy like this, selling even a quality product, for a fair price, can be challenging to a merchandiser, especially when the item in question is not exactly a "requirement" for daily living. I own more than a few guns and have several others in mind that I want, but I freely admit that during these troubling times, I'm somewhat reluctant to spend money buying more guns, when I could conceivably be laid off, with very little notice.

Anyway, it's called "marketing"...and in uncertain times, it is more important than ever, if you want to sell your product. If someone offered you a pre-64 Model 70 for $500 and threw in a set of dies or a decent scope, it doesn't degrade the quality of the product, it just makes it easier for you to justify letting go of your hard-earned cash. For people who pay attention, during times like this, you can get some really sweet deals on great guns, and maybe get a little extra in the deal. The OP may be the owner of a gun-shop and trying to do some market research to see what he can do to sell a few more guns this year.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts