Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this website, and deciding I couldn't live without a .444 Marlin, I finally purchased one last year. I must say, I haven't looked back, or regretted my decision at all. This is easiestly the most inherently accurate levergun I've ever owned.

Right out of the box, groups of 1.2"-1.5" were obtained at 100 yds., for groups of 3, with Marshall's proven load of 330 gr LFNDCGC over 56.0 grs. H335, WLRP, stuffed in Rem. brass for 2200 fps. A buddy was so impressed, he bought one, and duplicated the results.

Now a few months ago, I received a Saeco 265 gr GC .44 bullet mould. Thought this would be just the ticket for my .44 mag 1894s. I remember reading a post by Marshall on ReL 7 and his 280 gr WFN bullet loaded in the .444 .

So I loaded this bullet over 54.0 grs ReL 7 and avg. 2525 fps, and groups of three were 1.5" at 100 yds.

My question is this, what load would you guys choose for deer ? Tough decision. If only all my problems were so  negligible.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For deer, i doubt there's a nickel's worth of difference.  Dead is dead.  For elk, I would use the 330.

dclark

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
For deer I think that I would go to the 265's to flatten trajectory a little, and recoil is quite a bit less I would imagine.

Or whichever is the most accurate.  Sounds like that isn't an issue, fortunately!

·
Registered
223 Posts
It may not matter, but I would use a bullet with a little wider meplat than the SAECO 265.  How about Lee430310?  They're easy to cast and at less than a double sawbuck, you've got yourself a 44-300WFN look-a-like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts