Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what would you think about Browning producing their fine BLR in a new cartridge? We're talking the fine, versatile .35 Whelen! I've always thought that the BLR and BAR platforms were perfect for a medium non-magnum round like the .338/06 or .35 Whelen. But, as good as the .338/06 is, it has simply never caught on except with those willing to go through the difficulties (expense?) of owning such a fine, but unappreciated round.

I own both the .338/06 and .35 Whelen and do realize that the .35W is the much more common of the two and also is one very fine round. I've owned at least one rifle chambered in .35W for over 20 yrs now and have taken a good bit of game with the round. (I also own one .338/06, but haven't taken any game with it as yet)

Sorry to have gotten off subject there for a minute, but if you really think you'd be interested in seeing the BLR produced in .35W perhaps you might take a minute and send Browning a note saying so. I've heard (from a little birdie) that Browning might actually be contemplating such a release and I, for one, would welcome it with open arms.:D:D

I believe that a BLR in .35 Whelen with 20" barrel would be one fine handling and lethal rifle for a lot of North American game. I own a bunch of different calibers for big game hunting; somewhere over 30 total. But if I was told I could only have one cartridge(GASP!:eek:) to hunt all big game with for the rest of my time above grass, it would, without any doubt, be the .35 Whelen.

What says you??:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
that's a good idea. Here's another...350 rem Mag. I believe the BLR is chambered in 300 WSM, so why not the 350 Rem mag? Actually one of the first short mags developed.

It runs at higher pressure than the 35 WHelen and throws the same bullets out faster. With a full length BLR magazine, there'd be no problem in seating the bullet so that it doesn't protrude into the case...a minor problem that is usually pointed out by detractor's of the cartridge.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a good idea. Here's another...350 rem Mag. I believe the BLR is chambered in 300 WSM, so why not the 350 Rem mag? Actually one of the first short mags developed.

It runs at higher pressure than the 35 WHelen and throws the same bullets out faster. With a full length BLR magazine, there'd be no problem in seating the bullet so that it doesn't protrude into the case...a minor problem that is usually pointed out by detractor's of the cartridge.

I'd think it has to do with the even lower interest, overall in the .350RM. I also own a .350RM and ammunition for it is much harder to find and runs a lot more than for the .35 Whelen. I wouldn't argue that it's as good a round, but I truly doubt they'd have near as much interest as with a BLR/.35W. The BLR is chambered in .300WSM as well as in the .325WSM (I own one of these). The same barrel used for the .358Win (1:12" twist) plus the magazine for the '06 would make the .35W an easy make, apparently.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I tend to think of lever guns as being lighter than a bolt-action, usually with a stock design that is not quite a friendly, when it comes to recoil. I'm not sure that I'd like to shoot a 35W from a lever-action a whole lot. I like the lower recoil, in those guns, of a 30/30 or a magnum pistol round. Call me a sissy, but when I shoot something with the power of a 35W, I prefer a stock and action well-suited to it. Also, longer-range cartridges benefit from greater accuracy potential, another place where the lever-gun usually isn't quite as good as a bolt.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'd think it has to do with the even lower interest, overall in the .350RM. I also own a .350RM and ammunition for it is much harder to find and runs a lot more than for the .35 Whelen. I wouldn't argue that it's as good a round, but I truly doubt they'd have near as much interest as with a BLR/.35W. The BLR is chambered in .300WSM as well as in the .325WSM (I own one of these). The same barrel used for the .358Win (1:12" twist) plus the magazine for the '06 would make the .35W an easy make, apparently.
good points!

Here's the best idea...blow out the 325 WSM case for 358 bullets and rechamber the 358 Win barrel for the wildcat!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'd like to see them take a step back in time and bring back the 8MM-06. Great little round born out of necessity and I just happen to be a fan of the 32 caliber rifle in any shape or form.

150 grain to 250 grain, cute little deer to big furry critters with large heads, what more can a feller ask for?

I'd like to try a 250 gr SP in front of 62 grains of 4831. It's supposed to get close to 2400 fps and that's a lot of thumping for a BLR. I would love to get one if they made it. I would think out to 200 or 300 yards the bullet drop wouldn't be much different than a 30-06 with just that wee bit of extra punch.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree that the BAR would be a great platform to build the 35 Whelen on but I really dont share your enthusiasm for the BLR. The reason being that BLRs chambered for long action cartridges like the .30-06 really do not handle at all like the slick little short action BLRs. The are heavy, dont point nearly as well, and the lever throw on them is a bit too long IMO. I own a BLR in .308 Win and have shot one in .30-06 just so you know im not talking out of my @**.

Im sure you already know this but they already chamber the BLR in .358 Win which I would love to run into. At woods ranges it really isnt that much of a step down from the Whelen. But like I said, the BAR would be a whole different ball game. If they come out with that one you can bet I will be the first in line...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tend to think of lever guns as being lighter than a bolt-action, usually with a stock design that is not quite a friendly, when it comes to recoil. I'm not sure that I'd like to shoot a 35W from a lever-action a whole lot. I like the lower recoil, in those guns, of a 30/30 or a magnum pistol round. Call me a sissy, but when I shoot something with the power of a 35W, I prefer a stock and action well-suited to it. Also, longer-range cartridges benefit from greater accuracy potential, another place where the lever-gun usually isn't quite as good as a bolt.
I can certainly relate to your opinion, but after owning several BLRs over the years including a .358Win, .325WSM and .450M, I think the BLR stock design is pretty decent for controlling recoil. In rifles that weighs in at 7lbs even (.450) and under that (.325), the recoil is not all that bad. I'd also say that my experience shows the BLR with it's front rotating bolt lock-up is about as accurate as an average out of the box bolt rifle. The detachable box magazine also does away with the biggest flaw found in many lever rifles (IMO), that darn tube magazine. Much easier to load and unload and, of course, allows any type bullets to be used.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that the BAR would be a great platform to build the 35 Whelen on but I really dont share your enthusiasm for the BLR. The reason being that BLRs chambered for long action cartridges like the .30-06 really do not handle at all like the slick little short action BLRs. The are heavy, dont point nearly as well, and the lever throw on them is a bit too long IMO. I own a BLR in .308 Win and have shot one in .30-06 just so you know im not talking out of my @**.

Im sure you already know this but they already chamber the BLR in .358 Win which I would love to run into. At woods ranges it really isnt that much of a step down from the Whelen. But like I said, the BAR would be a whole different ball game. If they come out with that one you can bet I will be the first in line...
I agree with your mention of a S/A BLR feeling like a better rifle. But the fact that they are not going to go to 22 or 24" with barrel length and would leave it at 20" apparently (like the .358) makes it a decent compromise for me. I actually do own a steel BLR in .358 and love it. I've hoped for a BAR in .35W for a very long time, long enough that I'm now on my second Remington semi so chambered now. I way prefer a BAR to any of the Remington models.

·
Registered
620 Posts
TNhunter,

I too contimplated picking up a 750 Woodmaster carbine in 35 Whellen. I just couldnt do it. Im not one to settle and settling is an understatement when comparing any Remington autoloader (7400 or Woodmaster) to the BAR.

Just out of curiousity are your BLRs the straight stocked '81 or pistol grip models?

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Now of all those calibers that were mentioned previously, I do believe that the 35-Whelen would have a very good chance at being produced by Browning. In a BAR I think it would be to heavy, unless you went the alloy route which I personally don't care for the alloy rifles. I do have a BAR in the .338 Win mag ( to pretty to shoot really or take to the woods) and a Bar in the 25-06 but I like my model 70 Winchester featherweight with Hogue stock a lot more for hunting in my area.

Well I will be going over to visit a friend or two at Browning next month and I just may very well chit chat a bit about that BLR and the 35-Whelen (sharing my opinion) with some of the fella's over in Arnold, MO. If Browning did come out with such a rifle, I would put my Remington up for sale in a heartbeat and bring home one of those BLR's you betcha.;)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TNhunter,

I too contimplated picking up a 750 Woodmaster carbine in 35 Whellen. I just couldnt do it. Im not one to settle and settling is an understatement when comparing any Remington autoloader (7400 or Woodmaster) to the BAR.

Just out of curiousity are your BLRs the straight stocked '81 or pistol grip models?
I couldn't agree more with your opinion of the 750/7400 vs the BAR. I have owned several BARs and still have four, at this time. NONE has ever jammed on me, ever! If I had the change, perhaps I would rebarrel (re-bore??) a BAR, but I'd figure either to be more $$ than my NIB 750 ($500).

I've also owned perhaps 6 or 7 BLRs, from 7/08 to .450M and still have the three I've mentioned. My steel/.358 is a straight grip, my .325 a pistol grip with 22" barrel and the .450 is another straight grip and has a 20" barrel. Ask me today, I'd say I like the looks of the pistol grip, with it's schnabel forend tip best. Ask tomorrow, who the heck knows what I'd say! (how's that for sitting on the fence!)
:D:D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Straight grip or pistol, truth is once I get the gun up to firing position I have no idea what grip is on the gun and could care less. I have both and it really makes no difference in shootability to me. I'd have to look at each gun as you asked me to tell you what kind of stock I have on it.

As far as the long case in the BLR, not a problem if you are used to it and before you hit the woods you should have had some serious shooting time with it. People short stroke 30-30's too, I have had to take a few apart in hunting camp to get them unjammed because the kid shooting it was used to shooting his 22 and not the 30-30. Old man gave him what for and the third time was undoing the jam for him. Kid didn't say a word and I admired his restraint.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tnhunter,

Sounds like you and I are just about on the same page as far as rifles go. I have been called a rifle snob before and I probably will be again but I am a firm believer that Browning just does it better.

Grump,

Its true that the straight vs. pistol grip isnt a huge issue, nor is the long vs. short action BLRs in virtually any hunting situation, certainly isnt an issue at the range. However, the way I hunt with my BLR is either still hunting or as a poster or pusher on drives and to me the straight grip and shorter lever throw just naturally lend themselves to faster shooting and quicker/more natural pointing on moving deer.

By the way, which part of WI are you from?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Having used BLR's since the early 1970's, and being down to only three at this time, I have to agree with hillstadj wholeheartedly. The BAR (I've enjoyed a couple) is the platform for the Whelen. For my tastes, the BLR long action is simply awkward and ungainly (even if I did have thoughts of a custom .458).

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
It sure is. I've always found it interesting those who claiming heavy recoil in the 358 Win. Shooting my BLR, for me it doesn't recoil any more then my Rem M700 270.
Some people are just more tolerant of recoil but for the loads shown below, the 358Win has ~20% more recoil energy. Combine that with the typical lever-action stock, with the excessive drop, both heel and comb, and you certainly "should" feel more recoil from your 358. Maybe your 700 is a lighter gun and the 358 heavier?

Cartridge-------Weight Recoil
.270 Win./130gr 8.0----16.5lbs
.358 Win. /200gr 8.0----20.9lbs

Regardless, people expect a lever gun to be lightweight, handy, quick-pointing and many shooters absolutely do not want, or need, one to kick as hard as a 270 Win. The 30/30 in the model '94 is/was so successful because it gets the job done at the ranges it is used at, without belting the shooter around. The fact that it has been so successful has a lot to do with WHY medium-bore lever-action rifles have never sold well, and probably never will. Even in a lighter gun, the 30/30 has just a little over half as much recoil as the 358 Win. If both will easily take a deer at ~100 yards, (which is the farthest you might see one while hunting in thick stuff) which would you choose?

Cartridge----Weight Recoil
.30-30/170gr 7.5----11.0lbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts