Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is because yeterday I put a 94 on layaway at a good price. Its a little rough but at $199 I couldn't resist. It is a pre-safety angle eject 30-30 and I'm just curious about its age. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, the angle eject came out in 1978 and was known as the 5th model. I believe that was in .375 win, big bore. In 1983 the sixth model came out and without a safety also known as a model 6A.
In .30, I believe the earliest would be 1978 for your gun
6B = button saftey
6C = tang saftey

·
Banned
738 Posts
The reason I ask is because yeterday I put a 94 on layaway at a good price. Its a little rough but at $199 I couldn't resist. It is a pre-safety angle eject 30-30 and I'm just curious about its age. Thanks Dave
Dave,

The info I have shows the AE being introduced in 1983, with the cross bolt safety being introduced in 1992. I do not have serial numbers to go with these dates.

$199.00 is a very good price. You did well.

Joe

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info fellows, I was just trying to get an idea of its age. I don't know the serial number, it'll be a month or so before I can afford to get it off lay-away, than I will know it. $199 is a real good price for a 94 here in NC, especially at Gander Mountain. Most go for around $399, of course this one is a bit rougher. It has some places where the blueing is worn off, a little rust and the wood has some small dings but it seemed to function fine. Gander gives a 1 year warranty on their used guns which is a good thing. The only thing I could find wrong with it was that it was missing the screw on the barrel band. I'll replace the screw, touch up the bluing the best I can, strip the wood, finish it with linseed oil and install some type of reciever sight. I can't wait it'll be my first 30-30. Will it replace my beloved 45 colt trapper? I doubt it. But I'm still excited for this run of the mill 94 in a cartridge thats barely suitable for a coyote(ain't that what the experts say). I'm no expert so I figure I'll kill a deer or two with it this fall. Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that's the first I've heard of anyone doing that.
You pay for it in the price whether you like it or not. I often see the used guns $50 more than the identical new one across the aisle. So I guess its not exactly free like they lead most to believe. Dave

·
Registered
154 Posts
The closest s/n that i can find for the AE is approx 5,200,000. It was in 1983.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is about what my records show. We could supply much more info if we had a serial number.

IIRC, the 1983 catalog (which I was looking at yesterday) mentioned AE as new that year.

I know this is a controversial opinion, but as far as user 94s go, my favorites are the pre-safety AE 94s. They aren't the nicest, and they aren't the prettiest, and they aren't the best made necessarily, and they aren't straight from JMB's drafting table* but they are darned fine users.

* TC Johnson and other Winchester engineers changed most of JMB's designs to greater or lesser degrees to adapt them to production anyway, so probably none of the JBM/Win models are truly pure JMB... :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
JNewell, Why do you like the pre-safety AE so well ? I like my 45 trapper for the option of optics. Most people frown when you mention angle eject, I don't. Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes AEs. Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's not a strong preference, but:

1. I've never had one of my AEs toss a shell onto the top of my head :D

2. I like the rebounding hammer (with apologies to the purists) - the rifle is much more nearly drop-safe, and there is no chance of a mistake (or broken parts) involving use of the half-cock notch.

I also think that in general the manufacturing quality in that period was quite good. Not pre-war (as in WW2) quality, but very good. Everyone thinks of pre-64 as a magic period but in fact the quality was sliding through the 50s and early 60s.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's not a strong preference, but:

1. I've never had one of my AEs toss a shell onto the top of my head :D

2. I like the rebounding hammer (with apologies to the purists) - the rifle is much more nearly drop-safe, and there is no chance of a mistake (or broken parts) involving use of the half-cock notch.

I also think that in general the manufacturing quality in that period was quite good. Not pre-war (as in WW2) quality, but very good. Everyone thinks of pre-64 as a magic period but in fact the quality was sliding through the 50s and early 60s.
I agree, and the early 80's rifles were the best of the post '64 94s. USRA went in to chapter 11 in 1986 and the quality began to slip. Then in the late 90's the labor issues began to surface (which eventually destroyed USRA) and quality decreased rapidly until plant closure in '06.
MHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts