Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Loads and powder you like for .44special loads?

·
Registered
842 Posts
.44Spl Loads

I use 7gr CFE Pistol powder behind 200gr JHP and 6.5gr CFE behind 240gr JSP. Both have given good accuracy, though I like the 240gr load the best. Accurate and close to 800 fps in my 5.5" barreled revolver.:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
Any loads solicited from forum members should be regarded as pressure untested loadings and viewed as general information only. A wise person reviews published data by a reliable manufacturing source to obtain such information.

Reactions: Maeus and Darkker

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Red Dot or Green Dot under a Speer 240gr LSWC.

No leading at .44 Special speeds. First rate accuracy. > 1000 loads/lb of powder.

·
Registered
Police Officer Retired
82 Posts
I have one of the older model Charter Arms Bulldog 44’s and I know it is somewhat of a “thin clad” so to speak and would appreciate any 44 Specials loads to favor this relic.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS UNVERIFIED LOAD DATA AND ANY DATA USED SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. If you fail to start low and work up it's your fault should something happen.

Dad's favorite for his S&W 21 was 4 1/2 grains of Bullseye behind a 429421. Lymans 50th shows 4.2-4.8 grains for that bullet in WW cases with CCI300 primers.

RJ

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have one of the older model Charter Arms Bulldog 44’s and I know it is somewhat of a “thin clad” so to speak and would appreciate any 44 Specials loads to favor this relic.
In my opinion, Unique is certainly one of the very best powders for .44 special. My S&W 624 seems to shoot 240 grain LSWC better than any other. I would think that a starting load (according to Alliant's website) and a 240 grain pill would work great. Although in the Charter, I would possibly try as light as 180 grainers, as the lighter bullet should reduce pressure somewhat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have only my M629 in 44 caliber from which much prefer to shoot stout magnum loads as I too, am a recoil junkie. However, I do load up a mild and fairly accurate 44 Spcl round for others to enjoy without all that recoil and report. It consists of a 5.5gr charge of Universal on top of a 200gr Brazos Precision PC RNFP LG which runs at 640fps out of a 6.5" bbl. Note that I've found that Universal performs similarly to Unique in my firearms but meters so much better.
WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS UNVERIFIED LOAD DATA AND ANY DATA USED SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. If you fail to start low and work up it's your fault should something happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts