Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of you came across some stunning deals either via the internet or at your local gun store. so what were they? I plan on buying a rifle soon but I often wonder if I should wait til after the holidays when there are better deals to be had. I don't foresee myself going hunting this deer season so I can definitely wait. I keep coming across some great used rifles locally but can't seem to pull the trigger yet. I guess the cheap bastard in me is hoping to score my dream rifle for a bargain basement price :D. okay, I know that's wishful thinking on my part but it could happen

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
It's been a while, maybe 10 years now, but I found a very nice post '64 (1966) M70 in 30/06 for $285. The rifle has really nice wood, now wears a scope that cost more than the rifle and will shoot sub MOA when I hold up my part. All I ever did was clean it and scope it. The push feed M70s are not as desirable to many shooters/hunters, but will make a great rifle for those who will try one. I wouldn't mind finding another 10 of them!:D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Couple years back I picked up a Model 70 Classic .300 Weatherby (that's the Express length, CRF action) with a Swift 4-12 (basically a throw-away scope) for $450.

You can build nearly any DGR chambering your heart desires on that action!!! The gun goes for about twice that on GunBroker.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
A few months back, I got a Ted Williams Model 53 .3006 for $265. This is a Sears-branded post-64 Winchester Model 70. They supposedly had nondescript hardwood stocks -- this one has walnut. Plain walnut, but walnut. It was also absolutely new-in-box, never fired, and pristine in every way. Opening that box was like opening a time capsule from 1970!

Does it shoot? Well, Wal Mart Remington 150 gr. ammo shoots 5-shot groups so close to MOA that I will not bother with handloading for it, at least until the deer season ends and the hard winter sets in.

Ten years back, I also found a beautifully-crafted Mauser 98 sporter in .30-06 for $250. Some European craftsman in the immediate pre-war period really outdid himself on this one. To the gunshop owner, it was just an "old gun". I threw my money at him, grabbed the rifle, and ran.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I got a Remington model 8 in .35 Remington for $50 USD and a L.C. Smith live pidgeon grade 12 gauge, single select trigger, auto ejectors for $35 USD. Another time I got a S&W 6906 for $125 USD and a S&W 686 (new in box) for $75.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Here's a good one:
My first high-powered hunting rifle came unexpectedly in 1982 or 83. A working acquaintance was going through a divorce and wanted to sell his 7MM Rem Mag. It was a Remington 700CDL, mint condition, with jeweled bolt, leather sling, a Redfield-Widefield Rangefinder scope, and a nice canvas case. It also came with 4-1/4 boxes of ammunition. Price? $275

Like "uh" idiot, I sold it 3 years later for $350.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I guess it would be three Siamese Mausers for $15.00 each back in 1984. One is now a .444 Marlin, one is still original, and the other is going to be 8mm on a necked down .45/70. The rifleing was mirror bright on two of them, and the blueing had very little wear showing. All three are Nagoya Arsenal marked.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
This is not as good as some of the gun deals in the previous posts, but considering the accuracy I am getting out of the gun, my $199 Stevens 200 .30-06 purchased from a Bass Pro sale is #1 this list for me to date. It's ugly, it weighs like 5 lbs so it kicks like the devil, but it is probably the only sporter barreled rifle I own that prints sub 1" groups consistently.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
In the early 90's I was making my rounds of the pawn shops in Redwood City, CA, looking for fishing equipment. On that day I found a 5-ball bearing Diawa ($120 reel) for $35 and I put $50 down on a Model 70 FWT in 25-'06. Another $175 and it was mine, so a total of $225. This is the one that shot 4-5" groups at 100 until I relieved the designed pressure points in the forend of the rifle. I later sold it for $450, including the dies and some components, so I maybe made a little on it, but I used that money for the 6.5JDJ Contender barrel. I shot that gun earlier today, so the story kinda comes full circle. :)

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
Ahh, good memories! Several come to mind for me. A pre-'64 mod 70 featherweight 30-06, with a Kohlmorgan 4x scope, for $480, about 15 years ago from a local gun shop. From the same shop several years later, a mint Rem mod 600 in 350 Rem mag for $300. Then, a pre-'64 30-06 std wt with a rusted out barrel, for $300. That's now an 8mm-06.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
My 25/06 M77MKII (with Leupold VariXII 3-9x40) was free. Of rifles I've paid for, probably my Rem 700 ADL's tie, both were $300, one was new in .204 Ruger, one was used in .25/06 - both shoot exceptionally well.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Remington 700 BDL in 223 Remington $108.95 out the door PX Naval Station Guam. Remington 700 ADL in 17 Remington $106.95 out the door PX Indian Head Naval Station Maryland. Unfortunately those were retail prices in 1971!! Sure look exceptional compared todays prices but then a dollar went farther. My branch of service was Army but all my time in service except three months was on naval bases.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well, maybe this rifle would qualify, but then maybe not.

Back quite awhile ago, a friend bought a use RUGER "flat bolt" 77 chambered for 243win.

Just a plain Jane rifle, but wow did it shoot well.

Told him if he ever sold it, give me first chance.

Some years later, Frank contacted me to say the rifle was up for sale to help finance a rifle for his wife.

I was in business at that point in time, making a living but no big bucks, so decided I'd better not.

Not to long after that, the wife and I were both working at the shop as usual when she told me Frank was going to bring something by and "don't say anything.

Sharon bought that rifle for me, and it and the wife are still with me today.

It is one of those you don't sell.

Keep it coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
571 Posts
While I was tossing and turning in bed one night before buying a rifle I couldnt settle on, there was a picture the Lord gave me a picture in my mind (I'm a believer) of a black rifle sitting in a gun cabinet at the local Kmart. Next morning I couldnt hurry quick enough. It was on clearance for 347.00, the rifle was a Savage .270win, synthetic stock and cheap simmons scope. Now I know that might not mean much to ya'll.....but that rifle is the most uncanny in accuracy I've ever seen. It will shoot groups in the sub-half minute out to 300yds. No exaggeration. That's why it's still such a good deal to me. I call it the Black Widow, it's a deer killing machine. I've since bought others but that was my first and still is my most accurate. And with a tupperware stock it's just a real good deal. The guys at our range wouldnt shoot with me at the 200yd range.:D

·
Banned
604 Posts
Typically, the best time to buy a used rifle is after deer season and before Christmas. Another good time to look for one is around tax time. Seems a lot of people will sell a rifle so the kids can have a Christmas. Lord knows I've done it myself a time or two. A lot of businesses that deal in firearms will sell at a discount around inventory time. Good luck. They're out there, just have to be patient and look.

·
Inactive account
380 Posts
Couple of years ago I found and bought a nice used Bushnell scoped Ruger 77 tang safety rifle in 270 at a Gander Mt store for $210. Then there is my excellent condition 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block for $35 and the unissued 30-06 Danish Madsen M47 rifle made for Columbia in the 50s that was $45, but these two were bought back in the late 60s.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.