Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Christian by choice I have learned to be satisfied whith what I have and where I'm at , at the time I'm there. I have been around the world and to Most of the States of the union. The one thing I have found is, If I have Faith, my favorite pistola, a good wife, a well behaved dog, and good friends, then thats the place to be. [no special order intended in that list ] So what are some special things to you in your neck of the woods? OH! I forgot I live in a log cabin on 60 acres. That always helps.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If we are talking about a hunting place, the best thing about mine at the moment is the people. It sure is not the abundance of game.

·
Registered
37 Posts
life

TOO START OUT WITH MY LOVE FOR CHRIST IS WHAT KEEPS ME GOING THEN MY WIFE THEN MY KIDS. AM GOING TO DO SHOURT OF A FOURTH STEP HERE SO PLEASE FOR GIVE ME . AM A EX ALC. AN DOPER GOT CLEAN IN3.3.90 BUT DID NOT NO GOD HAD TWO GRILS AN FIRED FRIST WIFE MOVED TO A.Z. WITH FRIST WIFE TO WORK THINGS OUT SHE LEFT ONCE MORE AN A.Z. GAVE MY GRILS TO HER. MOVED TO FLAGSTAFF AN FOUND AA AN THAY SAID MAKE SOME THING YOU GOD. SO WHEN I DO SOME THING I TRY TO DO IT RIGHT SO I STARTED TO READ THE BIBBLE AN HAD LOTS OF THINGS I DIDNOT UNDER STAND SO WHENT TO CHERCH AN MENT NEW WIFE AN HAVE A SONHE'S 2.5 AN CANT WHAYT TO TAKE HIM WITH ME AN THE GRILS. GOT HIT I MY DRIVERS SIDE DOOR 3MOUNTS BACK AN ROLD MY SUBBEREN 3 TIMES BLUE UP T 9 AN FRACHER T8 T7 C6 IN MY NECK COULD NOT MOVE FRIST DAY THEN MOVE MENT CAME BACK AN DOC.S USED EPOXY TO GLUE ME BACK TO GATHER AN ALL WORKING SO FARE IF GOD DOES NOT HAVE A PLANE Y AM I HERE P.S. AM NOT WORKING NOW THATS HOW I FOUND THIS SITE I DO NOT WIGHT TO MUCH BECASE I SPEEL REAL BAD BUT READ EVERY DAY. AN TEDS RIGHT GET HI ON BLOD AN GUTS NOT DRUGS GOD BLESS

·
Registered
37 Posts
LAND

I LIVE ON RANCH 37 MILES OUT SIDE FLAGSTAFF AN OWN 40AC OF MY OWN. MY HOUSE IS SLOLER. HAVE 4 HORSE AN MISS FALLING OFF THEM CLOSES NABER IS ABOUT .5 MILE NEXT IS 2 MILES BOY DO I LOVE THIS PLACE. AN BOY AM I GLAD 1 WIFE IS GONE NOW

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris, It sounds like you have a real nice Place there in Arizona. How far are you into gunsmithing? Have you gone to school for it or learned it on your own? Keep on reading Gods word and some great thing will come your way.
Bob.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Free-range pork. See attached.

We got LOTS of wild piggies in Texas, and no closed season or bag limits.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Mike, I'm starting to covet your pig haven. God says not to cast your pearls before swine but I bet it's ok to use cast bullets into swine. What makes those Oikers so plentiful any how? And do you actually eat those beasties? I would looooove to come down to texas and do a little shooting with my 480 Ruger on those little puppies. I understand they can be some what pissy if they catch a hunter unaware? If I planted some of those rotor routers here in Wasington State, the local fish and game would probably hang me from the highest tree. Do they have a smaller version I could sneek in, " NOT "
Bob

·
36,233 Posts
Joel, that hoist is the handiest thing I own. I bought it last Saturday and had a hog in the air about 5 hours later. Man.... what an improvement over wrestling with a muddy, stinky pig. Big smile on my face as I effortlessly cranked it up in the air!

Anybody interested in these, hit this web site and then look for the link "hunting accessories":

www.hickbuilt.com

This guy lives in central Texas between Austin and San Antonio, I am extremely pleased with this product and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the stock to make one of those in about 2 hours, simple but effective. I think Ill make mine with a little longer arm and fix it somehow so it will swival into my truck. Thanks for the the picture.
Bob

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bob,

I've heard they have pigs that have gone "feral" over on the coast by Forks. Heard that last year. Not sure if it's accurate, but heard there was no season, state wanted them shot up quick so they didn't get out of control. Might have to call Fish and Game and find out. Always trying to do my part to help out the state ;)

·
36,233 Posts
Thought long about the swivel, but honestly after using the hoist, don't think that it is necessary for several reasons. Now, one thing that was done (which is not evident from the photos) is that it breaks down right below the crank. So, you can actually put it together to the side or back.

When I had the pig up in the air, I just grabbed one front leg, hit the release, and walked it up into the bed - simple.

The other thing that occurred to me later, put the hoist together so that the boom is over the bed, not out over the ground, then just crank pig up into truck! You can put the tailgate down with this one, no problem.

Anyway, with a swivel, you would just have to make sure that it did not have a lot of slop. I guess a long piece of pipe that fits inside the tubing would not only make a swivel, but you could use it for the break-down feature as well.

If you are going to build your own, make sure the tubing, pulleys, crank, and cable are heavy-duty enough for the critters in your area. Good luck and post a picture if you get one made.

·
Registered
37 Posts
pooter

on the gun smting al baker from baker precision firearms is teching me but am going to try to get state comp to send me to school lost my job over my back but i carryed inc. in case a thing like this happed. have bult a copple of guns a 358STA on enfeld 4570 on cismes muser. frad wells gave me bearl an toke a savge7mag an put it mill an opened it up made new magazen an gotme a 7stw shots grate for too shots then it goes all over bael to small? best is my 243 neck was shot out so set it back an made it 243imp shot .5 grope. now if i can just hit a coyoty. seem to do ok with steal but tuch wood an i fall apart. whent to school for body repaer think i wood get it but i dont but i do not give up if it gods will il get it well got to go feed got a tip for god loveing couples it a book by H.NORMAN WRIGHT QUIET TIMES FOR COUPLES ITS A DAILY DEVOTIONAL it has help me an my wife get talking more god bless

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
MikeG said:
Free-range pork. See attached.

We got LOTS of wild piggies in Texas, and no closed season or bag limits.
Mike,
I put a reese hitch insert on my jeep just for pigs. I had a gambel welded together in order to winch up the pig an swing in up into the jeep.
WWW.TEXAS HUNTERPRODUCTS.COM, out of San Antonio sells a good 600# winch with air clutch for about $65.00. I put two of them on my elephant sized game pole made with 6" drill stem.
I never thought it mattered with deer, but if you hang three or four porkers on it, you definiltey need the strengh.

The winches have made it easy. I like to hang them over night if its cold. Game poles look so much better with something hanging on them.

I talk about hogs more than deer because they are just more fun to hunt. Sometimes my bunch gets way to serious about deer. But with hogs, you can hunt them however you want.

Have you ever used strawberry jello or molasses for an attractant?
Also killed a sow with small piglets. They stayed there until we could get four of them down. Best eating I've had of all wildgame. Sounds kinda heartless but split open and grilled, they were great.

A good friend and hunting buddy of mine swears that he was calling coyotes with a cottontail squeel and called up a big boar. I believe him. Just one of those guys that never lies.
That's all of my pig stories.
Good Luck,
Tom

·
36,233 Posts
I haven't tried any 'flavored' baits. Here's a rather interesting thread on www.texasboars.com message board:

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2803

You can see my take on it as well.....

Hmmm, the picture I had on my earlier post disappeared. Here's a link to the web site where Hank sells his game hoists.

http://www.hickbuilt.com/gamehoist.html

A buddy of mine shot a pig that weighted 285lbs, field dressed. His hoist (same model as mine) had a pretty fair bend in it when the pig was off the ground. I'd say that's the only limitation of the hoist, over 300lbs isn't a good idea. Anyway, not sure I want to have that problem!

Couldn't find the air winch on the site you listed.

I've heard of pigs coming into squeals also. A friend of mine swears by molassas. We'll have to get together and swap hog stories sometime.

It's rarely cold enough down here to let anything hang all night. I'm sure you get a few nights a year where you can, though.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
MikeG said:
I haven't tried any 'flavored' baits. Here's a rather interesting thread on www.texasboars.com message board:

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2803

You can see my take on it as well.....

Hmmm, the picture I had on my earlier post disappeared. Here's a link to the web site where Hank sells his game hoists.

http://www.hickbuilt.com/gamehoist.html

A buddy of mine shot a pig that weighted 285lbs, field dressed. His hoist (same model as mine) had a pretty fair bend in it when the pig was off the ground. I'd say that's the only limitation of the hoist, over 300lbs isn't a good idea. Anyway, not sure I want to have that problem!

Couldn't find the air winch on the site you listed.

I've heard of pigs coming into squeals also. A friend of mine swears by molassas. We'll have to get together and swap hog stories sometime.

It's rarely cold enough down here to let anything hang all night. I'm sure you get a few nights a year where you can, though.
It's over in accessories, comes with a galvanized 25' 600# cable.
By the way the Texas Boar site is good !

Opening week-end here was shirt sleeve weather, but by December, most of the part time hunters are home watching the Cowboys loose, me and a few die-hards are still out. In JAck County at 1500' elevation, we get some cold weather.

25 to 40 degrees overnight usually by December. Bet the guys from the North are laughing about that.

Tom

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,959 Posts
MikeG -

We're gonna find out! :D

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
"What's the best one thing about your place..."

That God in heaven above chose me to be the caretaker of this little patch of earth.

I took this picture during bow season as I walked out of the San Antonio River bottom on my Hondo Creek Ranch. That's the moon above and the sun set about 30 minutes ago. In that brush that forms the horizon are whitetail deer begining the rut. Feral hogs foraging pecans and acorns. Javelina eating prickly pear and Rio Grande Turkeys going to roost. The coyote, gray fox, bobcat, and mountain lion have started the hunt while the racoons and ringtails are keeping to the tree tops because of it. The badgers and skunks... well nothing messes with them...

Thanks Lord!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,959 Posts
Nice sentiments, Ranch Dog -

You've got a nice place, there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts