Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
A vibratory type. Using media, one is as good as the other.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I guess a lot depends on what you define as “best”. If you like shinier than new brass, the SS pins/beads seem to do the job. Personally, I just want clean brass as fast and easy as possible, so my HF ultrasonic cleaner with lemishine and dish detergent works for me. I am sure you will get many different answers.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have used the vibratory and tumbling type and there are some differences between the two.
Vibratory cleaners are slower and noisier than a tumbler but they are cheaper. The vibratory tumbler seems to spread more dust.
I use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler that is commonly used with steel pins and water. I use it dry with walnut media that I buy from the local feed and grain store in 25 pound bags for $15. Soap and water with steel pins cleans and polishes like new but takes longer and adds steps to the process I don't want to mess with. I can clean several hundred rounds of brass in an hour and a half and be loading them.
All the different types work and you need to choose what you are willing to put up with and how much clean you need.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thumbler's Tumbler UV-18 Vibratory Tumbler - Industrial Model .

I have both a rotary and a vibratory models and much prefer doing brass cases in the vibratory with treated Walnut shell polishing media (from Midway USA) to any other method .
The model UV-18 is large capacity and the indutrial version is built for hard and long use .
Gary

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
In my past, I started with a 'Vibratek' and dry media and I reloaded alot. As in from one five gallon bucket to another and it couldn't keep up with my needs. I then went to the largest, I could find, RCBS tumbler "sidewinder', I think? And went totally to liquid cleaning. Much faster just as good. The steel pin method intrigues me, I have no experience with that method, but it sounds "neat".

·
Registered
621 Posts
The liquid and pin media does an excellent job of cleaning brass. It takes a tad longer than dry media (30 to 90 minutes) and then you have to rinse (another half hour) and dry the cases. If you use an oven to dry the cases it only adds a half hour or maybe one hour to the cleaning process. I can process a lot of ammo in the time used to complete the process.
I use buckets to hold my fired brass, my cleaned brass and my prepared brass because I typically clean more brass than I shoot at any one time. When I get enough fired brass I run it through the tumbler and empty it into the 'cleaned' bucket. I take it from the cleaned bucket and prepare the brass and toss it in the prepared bucket. When I sit down to reload the brass is ready to prime, charge and seat the bullet. I am never spending time on brass to rinse or dry. I am old and set in my ways - been doing this for about 50+ years - so my method is habitual. It is no more right or wrong than anyone's. It is just the way I do it. Find what you like and works for you and make it a habit so you make good ammo all the time.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,467 Posts
Dry vibratory for simplicity and speed. No mess and not much dust with the right amount of Flitz in it.

I have mine out in the garage so noise is not a problem.

I like simple.

RJ

Reactions: gunpa and gwpercle

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a vibratory and a Thumbler tumbler Mod B. I use the tumbler more and have it on a timer. Wet tumbling looks good but more involved than I want.

·
11,467 Posts
I have a vibratory and a Thumbler tumbler Mod B. I use the tumbler more and have it on a timer. Wet tumbling looks good but more involved than I want.
Yep, timers are good. I've left my Lyman vibratory on for an unintended 16+ hours, never got the brass any cleaner or hurt it any either 😁

RJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dry vibratory for simplicity and speed. No mess and not much dust with the right amount of Flitz in it.

I have mine out in the garage so noise is not a problem.

I like simple.

RJ
How often do you change your media and which unit do you use

·
11,467 Posts
Oh, sorry.

I have a Lyman 1200 (?) I use corn cob mostly with a cap full off Flitz added periodically when it seems that it "takes longer" to get the job done. I don't really "change" it, just add to it as it seems I spill a lot. If it looks "black" I'll pitch it.

RJ

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have only used Thumbler's tumblers. I have a smaller one and a B. Only ones I've ever used except for a Cement Mixer. I don't do that volume anymore. :D I really like stainless pins and chips, but since the Pandemic, I've had nothing but time. Walnut hulls with Jeweler's Rouge or Frankfurt cleaning compound is just fine too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, sorry.

I have a Lyman 1200 (?) I use corn cob mostly with a cap full off Flitz added periodically when it seems that it "takes longer" to get the job done. I don't really "change" it, just add to it as it seems I spill a lot. If it looks "black" I'll pitch it.

RJ
Thanks for the help
Is the timer part of the unit of something seperate

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I also use a Lyman 1200 vibratory on a timer. You can get really inexpensive timers off of ebay. They plug into the electrical outlet, the tumbler plugs into the timer. Think I got mine for under $10. Mine has a start button on it with 3 or 4 lights in a row. each push of the start button moves the light across the timer in (I think) 30 minute intervals. Works great and is really cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also use a Lyman 1200 vibratory on a timer. You can get really inexpensive timers off of ebay. They plug into the electrical outlet, the tumbler plugs into the timer. Think I got mine for under $10. Mine has a start button on it with 3 or 4 lights in a row. each push of the start button moves the light across the timer in (I think) 30 minute intervals. Works great and is really cheap.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks for the help

I bought it seperate and have had a couple over the yrs from hardware stores or flea bay.

Yep, timers are good. I've left my Lyman vibratory on for an unintended 16+ hours, never got the brass any cleaner or hurt it any either 😁

RJ
Yep, that's why I put mine on a timer.
You ever use a splash of mineral spirits in your corncob media? A fellow showed me that yr's ago to aid in the cleaning. Only about a tsp in my tumbler with the corncob media. Tumbler is about 1/2 full of media.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I found it easy to make a timer for the case cleaner. I purchased a 1 hr bathroom fan timer, mounting it in a utility box, adding a corded plug, for the power, and corded recepticle, for the tumbler, controlled by the timer. Works great, simple to use. Just spin the timer, for any desired time up to an hour. One hour is more than sufficient for the vibratory cleaner. Might not be enough time for the rotary tumbler though. Total cost, less than $20.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
EZ answer. The best one is the one that cleans brass well enough to satisfy you! Only way your gonna find that one is try them all yourself! There is no best of anythng!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts