Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in a previous post I am trying to sort through some handloading supplies I inherited and I am wondering about some different powders. I have a bottle of Blue Dot and a bottle of Hodgdon H110 and I want to know what the best use of these powders would be. Would these powders be safe and useful for any of the calibers I have dies for = 38/357, 45, 9mm, 30-06, and .223/5.56. If not then what would be the right caliber round to put these powders into service. I would like to avoid buying a new gun and die just to put this powder to good use. I have much to learn about burn rates and pressures so I appreciate all your help and patience with me and thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
H110 is the same powder as WW296, and it's a great powder for use in the .357mag. A word of caution here though. H110/WW296 cannot be "loaded down". It's a powder with a very narrow band of use. It's not recommended to load this powder for anything other than magnum loads in a handgun. It is also useful in a 410 ga shotgun. Please look at a loading manual before determining how much to use in your handgun. If you don't have access to a loading manual, visit Hodgdon's on line loading site. You can enter the caliber you want to use, the bullet, and select the powders they recommend. It's a very useful web site. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
nsb gave you the skinny on H110. Great magnum powder. I pretty much only used 296 (same powder) for .357 and .44 Mag. and only that powder for .410 shotgun.

Blue Dot can be used with the 9 mm and 45 ACP. Get an Alliant Guide, or go to their website.

Neither of those powders are suitable for the rifles you listed.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
H-110 is a great powder for reloading .44 Magnum, .38 Special, or .357 Mag. ammunition. However it is too hot for reloading anything like .223 or for the .30-06.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,570 Posts
Was there by chance a reloading manual in this box of stuff you inherited? If not, I'd look into getting one. The on-line sites are great for quick data searches, but a manual has TONS more information.

Lyman's 50th is a great manual.

RJ

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Blue Dot is a shotshell powder originally designed for magnum shotshell loads. In pistols, it does a great job for medium heavy to heavy bullet loads in rounds like 9mm, .38 Super, .357 Mag, .44 Spl, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .45 ACP. Blue Dot is NOT a powder for target or light loads,

If you want to get fairly heavy loads in the larger bore rounds like .44 and .45, BD will get you there without all the muzzle blast and recoil of the H110 loads.

Some of my favorite field loads with Blue Dot:

8.8 gr under 230 gr. in .45 ACP. +P level, do not exceed.
10 gr. under 250 gr. cast SWC in .44 Spl, 1000 fps.
11 gr. under 250 gr. cast SWC in .44 Mag, 1000 fps.
13 gr. under 265 WFN cast in .45 Colt, 1150 fps, RUGER ONLY.

Reactions: Headspaced

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,870 Posts
Again - a reloading manual, thoroughly read, will answer just about all the questions you have about reloading and components. You would be unwise to attempt such without a good reference manual and to rely on internet members offering personal loading information. What is safe in their firearms may be hazardous in yours.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Again - a reloading manual, thoroughly read, will answer just about all the questions you have about reloading and components. You would be unwise to attempt such without a good reference manual and to rely on internet members offering personal loading information. What is safe in their firearms may be hazardous in yours.
True, as far as it goes. You're not going to find much data on Blue Dot in the manuals. And it goes without saying that you should reduce any load 5-10% and work back up to make sure it is safe in your gun.

Of those loads I listed, only the .45 ACP is on the warm side. The .44 loads are medium pressure, and the .45 Colt is from the Alliant website.

Reactions: Headspaced

·
Registered
96 Posts
H110 is also good in 300 Blackout

Reactions: GeronPG

·
Registered
514 Posts
....And it goes without saying that you should reduce any load 5-10% and work back up to make sure it is safe in your gun....
Uh, not according to Winchester. They have stated for years not to reduce loads with W296 by more than 2%.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have seen a" CAUTION" posted in Alliant manuals that say NOT to use Blue Dot with 125gr .357 loads for whatever reason; so as others have said, "read the manuals carefully". I particularly like it in the .45 Colt ("cowboy loads") and the "heavier" 12ga shot shell loads. I find the H110/296 is too slow for "small" cases and too "fast" for large cases, which includes most of your calibers (excepting 357).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
H110 is the same powder as WW296, and it's a great powder for use in the .357mag. A word of caution here though. H110/WW296 cannot be "loaded down". It's a powder with a very narrow band of use. It's not recommended to load this powder for anything other than magnum loads in a handgun. It is also useful in a 410 ga shotgun. Please look at a loading manual before determining how much to use in your handgun. If you don't have access to a loading manual, visit Hodgdon's on line loading site. You can enter the caliber you want to use, the bullet, and select the powders they recommend. It's a very useful web site. Good luck.
I have a Speer handloading manual that is about 20 years old so I am definitely looking to get a current manual, any suggestions for a new manual?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,870 Posts
Lyman 50th Edition is my go-to manual. Have the current Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Accurate Arms and a couple others. Always fall back to the Lyman for best results.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Was there by chance a reloading manual in this box of stuff you inherited? If not, I'd look into getting one. The on-line sites are great for quick data searches, but a manual has TONS more information.

Lyman's 50th is a great manual.

RJ
First step! I would recommend a copy of The ABC's of Reloading to see what reloading is all about. It is a popular text that will tell you the "how to", show the equipment needed and explain components. For load/powder data, I would suggest the Lyman 50th as a start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lyman 50th Edition is my go-to manual. Have the current Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Accurate Arms and a couple others. Always fall back to the Lyman for best results.
First step! I would recommend a copy of The ABC's of Reloading to see what reloading is all about. It is a popular text that will tell you the "how to", show the equipment needed and explain components. For load/powder data, I would suggest the Lyman 50th as a start.
Just ordered Lyman 50th, Thanks again

1 - 20 of 46 Posts