Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After catching the BIG BOAR bug from Tangs last thread I went to rugers web site to take another look at the #1 in .458 Lott and it seems they switched it out for the 450/400 NE. was it not selling enough or is the NE just more popular, as I dont know a thing about this cartridge. any of you guys up to speed on this?

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
the nitro express is a storied older cartridge, maybe they just decided to make a run of them for a while... the lott is a beast and i can't see it selling in great numbers.

i think that it's great that they are making a few runs of different calibers from time to time. ruger has added the 300 H&H to the #1 line for 2010, it's going to be a medium sporter and i fully intend to snag one of them in a hurry! i've wanted to try a #1 and have wanted a 300 H&H for just about forever so this is a rare oppertunity to kill both birds with one stone!

·
Registered
571 Posts
the nitro express is a storied older cartridge, maybe they just decided to make a run of them for a while... the lott is a beast and i can't see it selling in great numbers.

i think that it's great that they are making a few runs of different calibers from time to time. ruger has added the 300 H&H to the #1 line for 2010, it's going to be a medium sporter and i fully intend to snag one of them in a hurry! i've wanted to try a #1 and have wanted a 300 H&H for just about forever so this is a rare oppertunity to kill both birds with one stone!
Two birds? Teradactyl and tyrannadon??

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Just like any company, they have to keep changing things due to demand and slow sales. They have to keep innovating or they'll choke. With the #1 in .416 Ruger, I highly doubt you would need the 458 Lott, unless it was a collector item.

·
Banned
199 Posts
The ruger no 1 is a classic single shot rifle so IMO it's nice to see it being chambered in some classic hunting cartridges. I reckon a no 1 in 450/400 NE would be a beautiful rifle and I'm also pleased to see them making them now in .405 and 9.3x74mm. .300 H&H would be the icing on the cake.

Also bear in mind that the no 1 is a fairly lightweight rig compared to a lot of African bolt repeaters and I think in .458 Lott it would be an absolute pig. I've used a no 1 in .45/70 using the modern loading data and Hornady's 500gn soft nose projectile and the recoil was stiff, almost on par with the .458 from a Brno. Each to their own, but having shot some .458 Win Mags and a .500 Jeffery, I no longer want to own anything that kicks that hard. The various .375's and .416's are good big game rounds and don't hurt as much to shoot!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If they would just quit the "bead blasted to keep from spooking game" line of crap. Lazy building if you ask me.

Amen ! How does a deer know a shiney gun from water on leaves and trees ?

I polished my .300 Win Mag MkII to a mirror finish.

Sorry I threw the bug on ya ! I have the need for a big bore badly. Is the .416 considered a big bore ? I cant wait for them to make a .458 Ruger in the 20" Hawkeye.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have wanted a .458 Lott #1 for a long time now, you know just to have. Maybe Ill consider another big boar or find a nice used one in the Lott.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hope your fillngs are good in my opinion the 458 Lott and the .378 Wby are very hard kickers for caliber. I realy did not see any different reaction on game animals between the 450/500,404 Jeffries ,the Lott or the .458 Win mag. You have to step up to the .475 or a .500 to realy see a difference in the bush as far as reaction to a chest shot, but big bores go boom so welcome to the recoil junkies club.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not to worried about on game performance a I will most likely never get the chance to go on safari. But for some reason the .458 Lott has always been a standout to me, maybe because of the history, and yes there are bigger but just having and shooting it would be the thrill. I think deer in Maine would not know the difference between the Lott and a 500 NE.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have the need for a big bore badly. Is the .416 considered a big bore ? I cant wait for them to make a .458 Ruger in the 20" Hawkeye.
You've got to get to at least .35 Caliber to be a big bore.

Yes, thats right, Mr. Bigbore himself doesn't even own one...yet!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I have that itch that so far only the 45-70 could scratch, until now. I love big boars but now I want one that will make me have to change my pants after shooting one round.:D
with that kind of rifle you only need one shot.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

The Brits even consider the .375 Holland and Holland a medium bore. A cartridge suitable for women and children, they say.
And they invented it!

;)

I LIKE my M77 RSM .416 Rigby.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i guess everyone knows i own and love the no. 1 chaimbered in .458 lott. i wanted it because i can load 350 grain bullets and have a long range 45-70. the no.1 chaimbered in .458 lott is a great looking rifle and the barrel is huge compared to bolt actions in this caliber. your local dealer should be able to find one somewhere. you wont regret it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts

So grab a .35 Rem and welcome to the club!!!!! :D

·
Banned
199 Posts
I think it's fair to call the .375 a "medium" bore when talking expressly about big game rifles only.

Owning a gun like the .458 or .500 Jeffery that necessitate a change of pants after the first shot might sound good in theory (?) but if you have no use for it you're probably better off without it. Downloaded with cast projectiles they are more than manageble and most people I know shoot them like this to get used to the rifle and how it handles. Shooting at a buffalo with your adrenalin up, you're not so likely to notice the recoil from a full house load.

But if you just buy one and don't have any buffs or elephants, shooting those full house loads at paper is going to leave you with a flinch that will take a lot of concentration to get over - and it will probably ruin your trigger control for the other guns you shoot too, at least temporarily. I know maybe two people who can shoot the really big guns well, all the time - the rest are just human like me...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
According to Craig Boddington the #1 is being chambered in 450/400 because of an arragement between Hornady and Ruger . I think someone needs to buy one and let us all know if it kicks or not!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts