Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a case of the M67 YUGO surplus ammo for my SKS's. I don't plan to shoot a lot of this as I plan to store most of it for a rainy day. I would like to shoot some of it to check for function/reliability in my rifles.

I shoot mostly cast-boolit reloads in my SKS's, but I figured having some good long-term storage ammo onhand couldn't hurt. The price has finally gotten down to a decent level, so I ordered a case of 1260 last week and it came in Tuesday night. The plan is to shoot 270 for testing and keep the 990 that I have sealed in a 50 cal ammo can for a rainy day.

After reading a good amount on the subject, I decided to mix a 10oz spray bottle of (4:1) (water:household ammonia). I plan to spray down the barrel of the rifle, along with the gas tube and bolt face, after i'm done shooting and clean as normal with hoppes/std solvent when I get home.

Does anyone have a (different) preferred method for corrosive ammo clean up, other than ammonia and water?

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Sounds OK

I use hot soapy water patches, wet patches, dry patches and oil patches to clean up after shooting corrosive ammo. G.I. bore cleaner also works well. Getting the corrosive residue out of the gas tube is important. I clean for at least two days to make sure I got everything clean. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Pretty much treated the guns fired with corrosive ammo like black poweder guns fired with black powder. The black color of BP fouling is just carbon, the "bad stuff" are various salt like compounds that don't dissolve in oils...so water based cleaners. Hot water works fine... black powder specific solvents work...just oil the parts before storage, and check on them the next couple of days.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I try to avoid shooting corrosive ammo. If I do; I use Hoppes #9 followed by an application of G.I. bore cleaner.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fill bore with Wipe-Out bore foam, Set rifle in a cleaning rest with the muzzle low, then shoot whatever else I brought for about 20 or 30 minutes, then clean.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Warm soapy water followed by boiling hot clean water. Let
it all dry then do whatever you can to get rid of any water
that is left. I use WD40 to get rid of water. It is a water
displacer. After all that, treat it like any other gun that is
dry and un-lubricated. The WD-40 is not a good lubricant.

Zeke

·
Banned
484 Posts
Been using good old Hoppe's Number 9 for about 45 years and it has always worked just fine after using corrosive ammo. Make sure you clean the bolt face and gas system, if any, in addition to the bore.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Tide, water from the garden hose, scub brush on my cleaning rod. My battle rifle is the M44 Mosin. I extend the bayonet and stick it in the ground and give'er a good wash.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Water is the "magic solution" for cleaning after corrosive ammo. For convenience at the range, original-formula Windex works well. Just begin your cleaning with wet patches, and be sure to clean every area touched by the gases -- bore, bolt face and bolt carrier, gas tube, piston. Clean, oil, then check it again once a day for a couple of days for incipient rust, just in case you missed a spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts