Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your preference for magazines is? I love box magazines myself. My two Sako 75's have terrific box magazines and I have some spares, which is great in my part of the world. You never quite know what you're going to come across, and to be able to drop out one magazine and put in another with some more suitable rounds is something I really like. You can't do that quickly with an internal magazine with a floor plate.

I wish more manufacturers would at least make a box magazine an option but I guess it keeps the cost of manufacturing down. Maybe that's why they don't offer box magazines.

Anyway, what's your thoughts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay! Unloading has never been a problem for me and never lost a magazine, but interested to hear your thoughts. Losing magazines is too expensive to think about so I have never lost one

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Each has their pluses and minuses and there are many types, some not so common or a combination.

Detachable magazine (M16, Browning BAR Mk II)-quick to load/unload from rifle, quick to reload if you have another preloaded magazine, expensive single shot if mag is lost. Magazine can feed from bottom (Browing BLR, FAL), side (FG42, STEN) or top (BREN, Owen SMG). Some mags uses coils springs, flat springs or no springs (see below)

Internal with floor plate (Mauser 98/1903,Win 70) Can easliy unload by dropping floorplate without having to cycle rounds thru action. Can lose floor plate creating single shot rifle.

Internal magazine without floorplate (Rem 700 ADL, Mauser C96), magazine is always present but rounds must be cycled thru to unload. The M1 Garand has a fixed internal magazine that must utilize the 8 rd En Bloc clip to function as a repeater.

Internal magazine with side gate (Krag) Can unload and reload for side by dropping sidegate.

Rotary internal magazine (Savage 99) either fixed or detachable (Ruger 10/22)

Tubular magazine either under the barrel (Win 94/Marlin 336) or thru the buttstock (Spencer/Rem 66)

You also have straight feed (single stack, CZ 527, M1911) or double column feeding ie. double stack, staggered (M3 Grease Gun, Savage 110) or tapering to single feed (Beretta 92). Then there are box magazines that without spring tenison that feeds by gravity (Gatlin guns), stripper fed machine guns, belt fed machine guns. I like them all as they are sometimes unique in there design and function.

CD

·
Registered
287 Posts
One Shot, I am like you. I much prefer a detachable box magazine, for a number of reasons. It’s easier, faster, more convenient, and safer to load and unload than an internal magazine. So, if you are frequently having to load and unload your rifle because you are often getting out of a vehicle, off of a 4-wheeler, off of a snow mobile, or off of a horse, or having to frequently cross fences, streams, or steep embankments or rock outcroppings, a detachable magazine is superior. A simple flick of the mag release, and all your rounds are quickly, safely, and neatly removed in one motion, and easily stowed in a pocket until you are ready to reload, which again, is one easy, convenient, and safe motion. Pop it in, and you’re ready to go.

If you have to load and unload frequently, and your rifle has an internal magazine, you have to load each round individually and to unload, you have to cycle your action for every round in the mag, and after a while, this can get tedious and tiresome. In my opinion, it’s just inconvenient. Of course, if you don’t need to unload and reload frequently, it’s not really a big deal.

How is a detachable mag better than a hinged floor plate? Frequent unloading isn’t much slower than unloading a detachable mag, but frequent loading is, as each round needs to be loaded individually, similar to an internal box magazine. Once your detachable mag is loaded, until rounds are fired, you don’t have to unload the mag. Click, all your rounds are in. Click, all your rounds are out, in one neat package. Now, I’m not saying you have to stog your mag with 4-5 rounds, but if you like to keep 3 rounds in the gun, after a while, it can get tedious. Again, if you’re not loading and unloading frequently, not a big deal.

Now, let’s say you’re hunting from a tree stand, and you unload before ascending, and descending. (Please don’t tell me you don’t). A detachable mag is much more convenient, especially if you’re not a fan of heights, like me. Again, with an internal box, you have to cycle the action for every round that is in the magazine, and try to catch all the rounds as they come out, and not fall out of the tree stand. With a hinged floor plate, you need to catch all the rounds at once as they come out of the bottom of the magazine, without dropping any, without dropping the gun, and not falling out of the tree stand. It can be a bit of a challenge, and I speak from experience. Again, with a detachable magazine, all the rounds come out together in one neat little package. Some of you are no doubt more agile and coordinated than me, but when making a comparison, a detachable magazine is hands-down more convenient, if hunting from a tree stand. Plus, I’m anal about not putting wet and dirty rounds that have been dropped in the mud or snow in my guns.

How is a detachable magazine safer? With a detachable magazine, you can load the rifle with the bolt closed, thus not chambering a round. You can carry it around this way if you want, or not, and then unload the rifle, never having chambering a round. It’s difficult to accidentally shoot someone without a round in the chamber. With an internal box magazine or a hinged floor plate, you cannot close the bolt without chambering a round. If you have 4 rounds in a rifle with an internal box magazine, you have to chamber all 4 rounds before the gun is empty. Now, presumably, we all know the A.C.T.S. and P.R.O.V.E., but as I mentioned before, the less rounds being chambered, the less chance of a gun going boom when it’s not supposed to. Even if you chamber a round after inserting your detachable magazine, you only have to cycle that one round of the chamber. All the other rounds come out together in one neat group.

Some folks talk about losing “clips.” On modern rifles, the magazines are very tightly secured once in place. At least that is the case with Savages anyway.

Some folks don’t need to frequently load and unload, and some folks don’t hunt from a tree stand. But for anyone who does, a detachable magazine is faster, safer, and more convenient.

Of course, if you only chamber two rounds or less, a hinged floor plate is not necessarily slower or much less convenient than a detachable magazine. You do have to chamber at least one though to close the bolt, which you do not have to do with a detachable magazine.

I just wish you could get a Model 70 with a detachable magazine. I would buy one then for sure.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I prefer a detachable mag. IMO the pros outweigh the cons. I always carry a spare mag with me when hunting.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
I prefer the internal magazine with a floor plate. The only way to "lose" the floor plate, is if it BREAKS off. I do not like the idea of having a magazine that could be lost, not ideal for a rugged hunting rifle. I do not unload my rifle when crossing fences or climbing in or out of tree stands, i have enough faith in my 3 position safety. Even though i have the hinged floor plate many times i just cycle the action, it is so easy with CRF as you dont have to chamber any of the rounds, and you can do it on safe.

A blind magazine w/o floorplate is not very fancy, but it is set up to get the job done, and with only a two position safety, and a push feed bolt, there is certainly more danger. I really like what ruger has done with the m77 mkII, its like a more rugged pre 64 mdl 70.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BarkBuster, it sounds like you have a Model 70. Is it a pre-64 or post '92? I like the fact that you can cycle the action on an M70 the safety on. Unfortuanately, you can't can't do that on a Savage which only has a 2 position safety.

You mentioned that with CRF, you don't have to chamber the rounds when cycling. I don't follow. How is it that when you cycle each round that each round is prevented from entering the chamber simply because of the presence of CRF?

Many folks seem to consider losing a mag a con of a detachable magazine rifle. If you lose the mag while in the field, the rifle can still be fired as a single shot, thus you can still carry on with your hunt. A replacement mag can be ordered/purchased upon your return home. I believe all the current big rifle manufacturers make replacement mags. I know Savage, Remington, Tikka, Sako, and CZ do anyway.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
BarkBuster, it sounds like you have a Model 70. Is it a pre-64 or post '92? I like the fact that you can cycle the action on an M70 the safety on. Unfortuanately, you can't can't do that on a Savage which only has a 2 position safety.

You mentioned that with CRF, you don't have to chamber the rounds when cycling. I don't follow. How is it that when you cycle each round that each round is prevented from entering the chamber simply because of the presence of CRF?

Many folks seem to consider losing a mag a con of a detachable magazine rifle. If you lose the mag while in the field, the rifle can still be fired as a single shot, thus you can still carry on with your hunt. A replacement mag can be ordered/purchased upon your return home. I believe all the current big rifle manufacturers make replacement mags. I know Savage, Remington, Tikka, Sako, and CZ do anyway.

How old is your Savage? My M110 has a three position safety on it.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Given the option I will always opt for the detachable magazine. I love them. Have them on my 10/22's, obviously. Used to own some M100 Winchesters and a first issue BAR in .300 Win Mag. I wasn't so concerned about changing out different loads for another but for the reload capability. I always carried two spares of whatever I was shooting. Always had more back in camp too. And I have never lost one in the field. But, that said, I always checked a lot too. Hate surprises.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I like the DBM. But I like a hinged floorplate a bit better. Just suits my style more.

I despise blind magazines. They can be a real pain under a scope and with cold and/or gloved hands. Had a 700 ADL one time that shot well. But I sold it for the sole reason of the miserable, blind magazine setup.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I like the hinged floor-plate in my bolts. I like the regular detachable in my semi-autos and pumps. However, I expect I'll be using a single-shot from now on so I guess my preference of magazine is a bullet holder or my pocket ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wish you could get a Model 70 with a detachable magazine. I would buy one then for sure.
I'm definitely with you on this one. I love my Model 70 in 7mm 08, but I really would love to have one with a box magazine. Even if Winchester just gave us the option of a box magazine, I'd be happy to pay the extra to have a few. I also loved your whole reply too Savage Hunter.

Thanks for the other replies too guys! I don't want to have a crack at anyone for their preferences. I'm just interested to read what are our preferences out there.

I love the box magazine on my Sako 75's in 223 and 308. I've never lost a magazine in the heat of the moment and found them to release easily and be replaced into the rifle without fuss. I've never dropped one in the process either. The Sako 85 on the other hand has been modified, and I don't like it. The reason for the change my Dad and I were told by some clown in one gun shop, was that people found the 75's too easy to "drop in the snow!" Dad and I just looked at each other and tried to stop ourselves laughing. The 85 magazine is more clumsy to remove so we're both not sure what he was on about, and we've both never had a problem releasing the magazines on our 75's. What's that saying if it ain't broke? Maybe it was lost in the translation at Beretta!!!!!:D

Thanks again for your thoughts guys!:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am another that prefers the internal magazine with a hinged floor plate. I usually load the rounds on an empty chamber if I am climbing in a stand or keeping it in a scabbard. I can quickly get it into action. When dumping the rounds, I just unhinge the floor plate and they fall into my paws.

Box mags are good, but I don't like the thought of needing to replace the 80.00 mags on my BLR! Scotty

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only $80 Scotty!!!!!! Looking through my teary eyes mate, I'm relying on my touch typing skills!!!! LOL I think the last magazine I bought for my Sako was about $130 and our $ is near equal to yours at the moment to give you some idea. It was worth about 85 to 90 cents at the time I bought it!!!!!

If I was to time myself with my Winchester and my Sako in both dumping rounds and reloading for a full magazine, I know which wins hands down. It's not a contest between the two. Even better when it comes to dumping rounds, I don't have to fumble with rounds falling out of a floor plate magazine when compared to a box. The rounds in the box mag stay where they are and the mag goes straight in my pocket.

Just my opinions and experiences guys, and I'm not having a go at anyone on this topic. Each to their own systems for their own hunting. Really happy to hear what you guys like using!

This is a great website!

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Interesting answers so far. I own at least 10 rifles (plus two .22s) with det. magazines, but not a one of them is a bolt action. So, I guess I prefer floorplates on my bolt guns and det. magazines on the others:D

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Drop-plate magazine is my preference because - surprise! - that's what I grew up with in a Win Mod 70. Familiarity is a powerful condition, and maybe sometimes a hindrance to advancement! I have a Steyr Prohunter with a DBM, and I have no dislike for it, just not as familiar with it. I admit to not liking cycling 5 rounds out of a blind Mauser 98 action without the added expensive drop-plate mag! I have a Browning A-bolt with the drop-plate AND DBM. That is convenient for clearing the chamber of its round, closing the bolt, then closing the drop-plate with DBM with rounds on an empty chamber. Not any more convenient than pushing the top round down on a mod 70 drop-plate and closing the bolt with an empty chamber.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Savage Hunter, Those rifles with a blind or hinged floorplate do not have to be total unloaded when doing the activities you described. Just remove the round from the chamber if there and then close the bolt well depressing the rounds in the magazine. Bolt is now closed on a empty chamber and still with a full magazine. Its a manually operated bolt gun that is not going to chamber itself even if dropped. The M1903 Springfield even had a magazine cut off to do this. So does the Browning Auto 5 shotgun (using a tube magazine).

Shawn- Just about every Mauser 98 that I know of has a hinged floorplate. Might not be a push button but may required the end of a bullet to depress.

I don't care what I hunt with, only the fact that I'm allow to rare oppurtinutly to get out and hunt these days. Told the wife that during my Christmas leave my youngest son and I get at least a day afield. That might be at the end of deer season or after squirrel/rabbit.

CD

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am another that prefers the internal magazine with a hinged floor plate. I usually load the rounds on an empty chamber if I am climbing in a stand or keeping it in a scabbard. I can quickly get it into action. When dumping the rounds, I just unhinge the floor plate and they fall into my paws.

Box mags are good, but I don't like the thought of needing to replace the 80.00 mags on my BLR! Scotty

Beretzs, I don't know what you mean when you say "I usually load the rounds on an empty chamber". Do you do like others and hold the top round in place with one finger while sliding the bolt forward?

·
Registered
654 Posts
SH, yeap, that is exactly what I do. I load the magazine, hold down on the top round and allow the bolt to come forward on an empty chamber. Condition 3 for you old Marine types! Scotty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts