Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm building a stock for my rifle and I'm about to Glass bed it. I've got it sanded down to 100 grit and i'm going to bed it then finish sand it. Should I put the Tru oil finish on before checkering it or after? I know i would have to tru oil the checkering when i'm done but I'm not sure of the best way to do it.
Also, is it best to bed before finishing?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jim

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I won't say this is how you "should" do it, but it's the way I've always done it. I bed the stock before final-sanding and finishing. After it's finished is when the checkering is applied, and then a very light application of whatever finish is being used is appled to the checkered areas. This way, the checkering does not get filled in with finish or damaged by sanding between coats of the finish.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
ILO using "an old toothbrush" for finishing the checkering with Tru-Oil, cheap ($1) toothbrushes are available at many Dollar Discount type stores these days.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Permalyn sealer is great for checkering , If you are going to use stock oil cut it 50-50 with mineral spirits . Fill and seal the grain after finish sanding and mask the checkering before you apply any finish . Tru-Oil wouldn't be my first choice , or second , or third , you get the idea !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts