Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just left the field and stream store at exit 180 to Erie PA. nice place but very little loading supply and only four marlins there all new 1895 4570 and very short on ammo .

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yep, owned by Dick's the anti-gun store. strange.

I think that is exit 18 not 180?

Most of the big box sstores are sold out of stuff as newbies only know of those places. small gun shops seem to have more supply. Got two cartons of small rifle primes in bait shop at the PA/Ohio state line.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Butler PA. visiting the wife's family her brother and father will run me allover the country side today. Will be checking out all the backwoods gun shops ..maybe I'll find a keeper or restock some low on shooting supply. .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Found a new 444 marlin in sportsmans supply in Butler PA. I just had to have it ..fit and finish look great ...I'll get it back to Tenn. and go through it.. slick up the inside. .stretch the action.. a little work on the trigger ..and make sure the lockup is to my liking. ..they also seem to have plenty of reloading supplys. I picked up some needed small pistol primers

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Now that I know you are in Butler, I was going to recommend Sportsmans Supply on 356. Actually I went to rural King in Butler yesterday, was going toSS, but wife was hungry, ate at Beacon Hotel (near Butler Airport). Our paths probably crossed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Had a small 3 store chain open a store here in Idyho Monday. Had piles of 9mm ball ammo and I picked up 1 k of small pistol primers. I'm pickled tink!:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
HarrySS. Funny I was in Rural King Thursday. ..we eat at Rachael s for supper. . Hear at 422....I'll go target shoot with the wifes cousin in the morning till lunch he's a cop hear in Butler. then we'll hit the road back to Tenn. I really liked sportsmans supply good people. ..

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
I have a chance to buy about 60K primers of all sizes, all Win. CCI and Federal but in boxes dated when bought 1994-1998. Stored in a dry AC room. They're 2,000 miles away, too. How can a fair price be determined in times of primer famine?

Reactions: jimboro

·
The Shadow
7,481 Posts
. How can a fair price be determined in times of primer famine?
Fair is what someone is willing to pay for them. Famine or otherwise.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,729 Posts
I have a chance to buy about 60K primers of all sizes, all Win. CCI and Federal but in boxes dated when bought 1994-1998. Stored in a dry AC room. They're 2,000 miles away, too. How can a fair price be determined in times of primer famine?
I'd be very skeptical about such claims unless I'd been to the house several times in the time since those primers were purchased. The how and why of their collection would need to be scrutinized as well. I've purchased some WW large pistol primers from a peddler at a gun show that were probably 60% duds. During the last primer panic I picked up a 1K of WW large Rifle primers for a mate that was damaged and there were at least 100 gone but I still paid the full primer panic inflated price under duress assured that the guy behind me would gladly pay the full asking price, no haggling.

Nearly 60K primers of mixed sizes and brands seems, in my mind, too good a deal to be true.

I'm not sure how many I have on hand, but I know the "where, how and why" of their storage since date of purchase.

I know this gets talked about frequently here, but short of dousing in some "inertifying magical solvent" primers just don't deteriorate on the shelf unless, and this is a theory only, they are subjected to drastic heat and/or humidity fluctuations where the brass can corrode and react with the priming mixture?

RJ

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All my primers go in zip lock freezer bags as soon as I get them home . I know I have primers that I bought 20 yrs. ago and I've had no dudes except the usal one out of a thousand and that's with cci .. sportsmans supply in PA. Had plenty on hand and more powder choices than I've seen anywhere in the last four months

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
RJ-- This is the estate of an old friend, great gunshop customer, career military at home packrat and shooter. I saw all this stuff last year. The (385) guns are mostly gone, now its ammo and components.....literally tons of components. What does two pallets of shot weigh?
He dated every purchase but five gallon buckets of reloads are just scrap at this point. There are five gallon buckets of once fired brass, new brass, and tens of thousands of bullets. Also, Stacks of ammo cans of ball ammo is very good merchandise, but they come with the buckets of reloads and at least 60K primers, 200 lbs of (mostly shotgun) powder and most of a shipping container of once fired trap hulls and sack of wads. ' All in a bunch' is how its for sale.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great idea I was thinking the same thing ...but it may be awhile. .thanks HarrySS. ..if your ever in middle TN. let me know. ..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice XLR 30 - 30 winchester at Logans in North Washington PA. if anyone is looking ..I was there Thursday also ..there a little low on reloading supply a small amount really. .but that little rifle almost ended up in TN.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just left the field and stream store at exit 180 to Erie PA. nice place but very little loading supply and only four marlins there all new 1895 4570 and very short on ammo .
Right now (Sept. 2020) it doesn't matter where you look. Everyone is out of just about everything. I can't even find 710fps sub-sonic, CCI long rifle rounds, and most of the common powders seem to be out of stock everywhere. When Alliant Unique is out of stock, you know things are bad.

·
Registered
617 Posts
LOOK ... Estate Sales
Shooter , reloader goes to the big shooting range in the sky , usually he has a bunch of stuff ...put it all in a big box and make an offer ... they will usually sell it all just to be rid of a bunch of stuff they have no clue what it is , what it's worth or how to get rid of it .
I only wanted the $35.00 Lyman All-American Turret Press sitting on a table full of reloading stuff... but an offer of $75.00 cash money got me the whole table and most everything I am still using ...
Best Deal I ever made !!!
Gary

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
This estate as a little different due to the amount of loading components and gear. There is a 20 foot shipping container of just plastic wads. Several pallets of shot....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts