Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is crazy! I can't find small rifle primers anywhere.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That, .224 bullets and most powders that will work in 5.56 are fairly scarce right now. My LGS happened to have some magnum primers on hand. At one time some of the internet dealers had some bench rest and some other higher priced ones, but I haven't checked. Sometimes your LGS can put you on a waiting list to get some.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,581 Posts
Like people hoarding toilet paper, pure silliness and selfishness. Primers last forever if properly stored, but if you have more than you and ten friends can shoot on a lifetime . . . . . . .

Anyways, I'm not sure who has any.

RJ

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. If anyone has any leads give me a shout.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your not gonna believe this but I found 5000 standard Federal primers. I bought them all. Might be the last in the country. Nobody new this guy has a few things for reloading. He is an old match shooter who doesn't reload anymore. He runs a small gun shop that has been around for years.

·
10,581 Posts
Good, b'cuz you ain't gettin' none of mine.

😁

RJ

Reactions: sparkyv and Darkker

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Glad you finally found some primers. I like a story with a happy ending. Hope this panic buying passes sooner rather than later. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This stuff is crazy. I don't normally hoard but they are forcing you into it. If you want to shoot you have to follow suit. I have held out as long as I can. You want it you better get it while it's there.

·
10,581 Posts
I haven't bought any primers since January. When I go to a store that has what I use I get a "brick" maybe two or if Larry has free hazmat. I'll go through 2-3000 a year maybe more depending on my mood or ground dwelling rodents population.

RJ

Reactions: Blade and Darkker

·
Registered
85 Posts
I normally go to my LGS once or twice a week to check for powder. Last week they of course didn't have the powder I wanted, but I did buy the last four boxes of small rifle primers thinking I was nearly out. Only to get home and realize I had plenty of small, and needed large. They didn't have those either though.

At this point I'm pretty much just shooting whatever I can get supplies for at the time. Hopefully this all gets better after the election/pandemic/whatever is over. I really just want some Varget, H4350, and Reloder 26.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Around two weeks ago, I ordered two boxes of Hornady 45 grain .224" bullets, from Midsouth. Normally they are very fast in processing orders and I would receive it in 2 to 4 days. Now, with what is going on these days; they've and also other online stores, are either out of supplies wanted or very slow in processing one's order. I also hope things will return to normal soon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Primers are an investment in the future.

Unfortunately it's expensive to sit on several thousands of different primers. I'm low on small rifle primers, but I have overcome the urge to have everything always stockpiled. I'm alternating stockpiling different primer types, shooting what I have, not worrying what I don't have.

As an example of investing, I purchased a five thousand case of Winchester primers with a promotional mail in rebate a while back. They were dropped shipped direct from Winchester. I knew it was a great deal and after it was all said and done, shipping, hazmat and tax, it totaled about $25/box. I already had some and didn't really need them, but I can shoot my large rifle calibers for years without any worries.

Primer availability is event driven and therefore cyclical as buying surges end up in over satisfied demand. The rebates on primers were a consequence of the last election as no one was concerned about future availability. It will happen again. Invest when you can.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,321 Posts
The manufacturers are most likely shut down. The entire country is collapsing.
Defense contractors are "essential", they got the same letter from Homeland that we got. 😉

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Primers are an investment in the future.

Unfortunately it's expensive to sit on several thousands of different primers. I'm low on small rifle primers, but I have overcome the urge to have everything always stockpiled. I'm alternating stockpiling different primer types, shooting what I have, not worrying what I don't have.

As an example of investing, I purchased a five thousand case of Winchester primers with a promotional mail in rebate a while back. They were dropped shipped direct from Winchester. I knew it was a great deal and after it was all said and done, shipping, hazmat and tax, it totaled about $25/box. I already had some and didn't really need them, but I can shoot my large rifle calibers for years without any worries.

Primer availability is event driven and therefore cyclical as buying surges end up in over satisfied demand. The rebates on primers were a consequence of the last election as no one was concerned about future availability. It will happen again. Invest when you can.
Remember, back several years ago, one could simply drive down to their local gun shop or sporting goods store, and shop. Now, it's becoming a big deal finding and paying for any reloading supply item. I long for the good 'ole days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good, b'cuz you ain't gettin' none of mine.

😁

RJ
I've got more than that - bought during the "Obama years". But I store mine in airtight MTM boxes with a dessicant packet inside. Like you said "primers last forever if properly stored", so I am taking the extra steps to ensure "proper storage".

·
Registered
289 Posts
There's a difference between "investing" and "hoarding" It's a gray line depending on your state of mind at the time.
One of them is being a smart investor and the other is just, well lets just say I want nothing to do with that kind of people.

·
10,581 Posts
Having more than you can use in a couple years is hoarding, trying to keep a step behind the hoarders, that's investing.

When the 65 kneadmore craze hit H4350 and Federal GM210M primers were like hens teeth even though most 65 kreapmore shooters couldn't/wouldn't reload let alone change a tirere it seemed they still needed components. Fast forward about six years and low and behold, both are plentiful again so I make sure to get some for use in my POS 700 LongRange 25-06 varmint rifle (along with a few other POS Remington 700's and 788's) and have a few for friends.

This COVID pandemic rolls around and now you can't but toilet paper to literally "save you a$$" and the panic hoarders start buying up 5.56 components, not .223, 5.56!!! So now small rifle primers, any powder usable in a 5.56, brass and .224 bullets are getting hard to nearly impossible to find.

Well, to the sorry people who hoarded toilet paper, potatoes, eggs, milk and are now buying up all my .223 COMPONENTS:

I hope the pack rats make nests in all that toilet paper, then the roof leaks.

RJ

This humorous satyre is intended to be a bit funny, non provoking look at how folks react in general to the unknown when common sense should prevail. Now here we are once again staring stupidity in the face

KJS:

MTM boxes and desiccant should be excellent for primer storage. Good practice.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,130 Posts
Buy at least one presidential administration ahead, maybe two. That's just being smart.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts