Shooters Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

The Shadow (Super Mod)
When the 65 kneadmore craze hit H4350 and Federal GM210M primers were like hens teeth even though most 65 kreapmore shooters couldn't/wouldn't reload let alone change a fire it seemed they still needed components.
C'Mon RJ, not all of us are always dopes. I've never bought, nor will I ever buy; Federal primers. 馃槤;)

Cheers馃榿馃榿

Reactions: recoil junky

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
I will !! I will !!
:D

Registered
I try to keep a three year supply based on my current use. I keep an inventory and it has a minimum "on hand" amount that I maintain. This goes for all reloading components.
With loaded ammo I keep 2 years worth of stock as a minimum and replace it as used, or a bit more.
That kept me from running out of 22LR when it was hard to find. I compete in small bore silhouette and go through more than most. I keep a lot on hand so I can maintain practice and compete.

Registered
Hoarding can be stopped by the retailers if they're smart enough and would just limit the amounts when they see it coming. Anytime someone walks in and wants to buy say 5000 primers at once they need to make it a special order to the distributor instead of drawing that from their current stock and put a 1000 primer limit on any purchases within a month or so. And if things get really bad they can drop it to 100 primers at a time. Which is about where we're at now.

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
How many of the cashiers at Murdoch's or Sportsman's or Cabela's would know the difference between primers and 22 shells? They just scan and take your money, half of them can't make change.

At Murdoch's there's still plenty of primers, no limit, but you pay through the nose, $4.99 to $5.99per 100, no discount for 1000, bricks are not sold.

RJ

The Shadow (Super Mod)
Hoarding can be stopped by the retailers if they're smart enough and would just limit the amounts when they see it coming. Anytime someone walks in and wants to buy say 5000 primers at once they need to make it a special order to the distributor instead of drawing that from their current stock and put a 1000 primer limit on any purchases within a month or so. And if things get really bad they can drop it to 100 primers at a time. Which is about where we're at now.
What I may or may not be able to afford for my hobby, isn't your concern; or the concern of a clerk at a store.

Registered
What I may or may not be able to afford for my hobby, isn't your concern; or the concern of a clerk at a store.
I'm offering a theoretical solution to the problem of hoarding which is a huge problem. Retailers need to be on the lookout for these people and take corrective action. It can drive away a broader base of customers that return time after time for small amounts of something that are crucial to the sale of other items. That can hurt the business more in the long run then what little profit they make off of a item in short supply. It's just poor business thinking. Being able to afford something really has nothing to do with it during a time when one certain item is in short supply nation wide. I blame the retailers as much as I blame the consumers. Some retailers will act after the horse has already left the barn so they need to see this coming sooner.

The Shadow (Super Mod)
In the non theoretical world, a primer salesman's job is to sell primers. It's not to get up in my business, about why I may spend more on this hobby than you do. Nor to presume that because I may, it must automatically be because of some nefarious purpose.

Registered
It has nothing to do with "why" a customer buys them. I could care less but to a retailer who has thousands of possible customers who come into his store he needs to consider the needs of a broader spectrum of them. Some reloaders might reload 100 rounds a year or so and that guy buys other items for hunting or camping or whatever. Once a local business reaches a level of stock lets say 10,000 or less primers on the shelf it would be wise of him to sell those 100 primers at a time to those people who reload on a small scale every year. That way he has many happy customers instead of just one. Placing an order to his distributor for one particular customer for that 5,000 or 10,000 order and waiting a few weeks for it would be much better overall.

The Shadow (Super Mod)
Your theoretical solution doesn't even sort of address the theoretical problem of hoarding; without asking why. Ignoring the why, and forcing equal usage rates across all people, is tap dancing a little too close towards communism for me.

We've off tracked the thread enough.

Registered
This is crazy! I can't find small rifle primers anywhere.
You can always buy from the price gougers on Gunbroker. I keep a list of them and will never buy anything from them in the future.Pathetic.
Hopefully the supply will get better soon.

Registered
This makes me wonder if the government isn't buying it all up in preparation for some conflict. This is a nation wide shortage.

Premium Member
Just after Clinton came into power, it was leaked the gov. had INQUIRED about limited life primers. The run was on reinforced by the EO to no longer sell military surplus ammo cans and other stuff.
I had primers bought in 1961 for $5/1000 that were worth double that retail and some were scalping them for two bucks a box. I traded thousands of old primers for the promise of replacement two for one in three years. I got paid back in new Remingtons in 5k cases. When primers got scarce again when Obama was head gun salesman, I had primers to give and sell to friends. I just gave some more to a good friend with a new AR and a Rock Chucker.
I've never had a savings account in a bank, but I can reload ammo and shoot .22s no matter who's driving the train.
When you get a chance, buy! They don't eat and they don't go bad and you can't make them but need them. It makes sense to have plenty of them. PRIMERS and 22 ammo are good investments!!

This makes me wonder if the government isn't buying it all up in preparation for some conflict. This is a nation wide shortage.
Nope, hoarders
RJ

The Shadow (Super Mod)
Nope, hoarders
RJ
I heard it was the Illuminati;)

With everyone losing their mind over the flu: lockdown, stay at home, whatever phrasing, orders were issued.
That was except of course, for "essential" businesses and protesting.
So farmers and the Ag industrykeeps trying to feed the world, and defense contractors keep providing materials to governments and law enforcement to keep the peace.

A guy looking to do something with his extra spare time at the range, isn't defending the herd, and providing him with leisure components isn't deemed "essential". So production to fill that marketing segment isn't high on the "to do" list.

Cheers

Reactions: recoil junky

Registered
Nope, hoarders
RJ
To hoard one must be able to buy. When the distributors can't get them then it's something above them......
The patriot act gave the government the power to purchase directly from the manufacturer and the power to tell them to keep it a secret. This went on during the Obama ammo crisis a while back when the distributors could not obtain ammo in any great amounts. It simply was not in the distribution system. That's not hoarding by civilians.

Which is why you buy a few here and there when supply is "normal" not when hoarders are buying up everything and price gouging putting the average reloader in a panic.

RJ

Reactions: Davers

Registered
I would guess the original question of where can he find small rifle primers at this point in time and the answer is nowhere in the normal retail system. All manufactured primers are being 'diverted" to places they're unobtainable to the retailers or the citizens. The other sources are the scalpers located throughout the country. I would prefer to just shoot already loaded ammo at that point which is still available and heightened prices but still available none the less. But realistically I've stopped all recreational shooting till this is over. I have enough .22 ammo to practice with for a long while so that's my plan for now.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts