Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please suggest places to look for 6.5mm cast bullet molds. I plan on casting bullets for the 6.5x50 Japanes (A) Type I which may have headspacing problems which I need to test for.

have not check serial #'s of bolt and rifle yet as I am away from gun

plan on hunting Wolfs in Idaho

·
Registered
429 Posts
Where do I find 6.5 cast mold?

Try Mid South Shooter's Supply; I purchased the "Swede" from them last year that is marketed by Lee. (Lee does not show this mold on their website.) The mold throws a long, 170 grain 6.5 cast bullet and is a "double cavity", gas check design.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idaho is varied

I'd have thought wolf in Idaho would be a long range proposition; and would be using a 130 grain spitzer jacketed bullet to reach out 250+ yards.

But if you want cast, Lyman makes many 6.5 molds (checking your mil barrel as to actual size). Try Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment
Expect to order the mold from any gun shop, but few places stock them.
Thanks for the info and suggestions. the cast bullets are more for practice. Yes the 130 gr you mentioned would probably be a great bullet to use.

Ranges can vary greatly

Most of my hunting shots are around 75 yards - yes 250 to ....500 plus yards are common for many and I take those shoots as needed but I like close distance hunting rather than target shooting

My last large Muley walked up behind me as I was kneeing and looking into the wind. He snorted and I turned around to see him at 35 yards - he ran to 75 yards and stopped, turned, and presented me with a broadside shot - now that is better than any long range for me.

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
HarryS,

I'm afraid they discontinued that mold. I bought one of the last ones on close out awhile back. Now .284" is the smallest Lee size mold they show. They do have a couple of Lyman molds; a 140 grain and a 150 grain, here, and one RCBS 140 grain mold here. These are double-cavity rather than single cavity.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Kev7griz,

I suggest you buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Lyman lists many 6.5mm moulds and also lists reloading data for those bullets.

Webley

·
Registered
137 Posts
Check with MP molds:

Mp-molds

Mihec, the maker of the molds, is currently tooling up to make a run of 6.5mm brass molds. They have a sign up sheet on another forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
See if you can put a link to the list in. Even if it's on another forum, we don't mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts