Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k, o.k, I know from little tiny bees. But lately my supplier has gone out of business, and caught me off guard.
Now the best price I have found is 3 dollars a lb. from Texas.I thought about ( new ) toilet rings, but someone said that was a mixture of wax and synthetic blend.
Anybody have any ideas, thanks John

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Try Miller Honey Co.
3000 S. West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
801-486-8479

Havn't bought any for several years so have no idea on current prices. From my recollection, if you can get raw beeswax for $3, take it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
beeswax

Not being a wiseacre, but a few years ago, I got about 10 lb. from a beekeeper for next to nothing. Might look up beekeepers on the web for your area. Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Registered
162 Posts
beeswax

Not being a wiseacre, but a few years ago, I got about 10 lb. from a beekeeper for next to nothing. Might look up beekeepers on the web for your area. Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Paul,Now who wouldn't want to be a wiseacre with a set up like I started.It's only natural.
Actually my friendly source was a local beekeeper, but several years ago a wild virus of some kind came through and wiped out about 70% of the honeybees around here. It put most beekeepers out of business.
I was wondering however, now that I am out of wax, if anyone has been trying to use the wax toilet rings, The other day I opened a box, and when I ran my finger across it, it smeared like a stiff vaseline, petroleum jelly.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I use the wax rings for lube. Mixed with paraffin to adjust the hardness. I mix in a tube of Lyman moly lube to one ring and about 3/4 piece of paraffin. I have not had any leading with this to about 1200 fps.

It can be harder or softer as you want.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I usually see beeswax at muzzleloading rendezvous or Renaissance Fairs.
I have also used the toilet ring seals, apparently not made of real beeswax (the package doesn't say "beeswax" anywhere on it) with good effect.
But I only use beeswax in a bullet lube recipe used primarily for black powder. I've also used this recipe for lead bullet .357 Magnum loads up to about 1,200 fps.
At this velocity the ersatz beeswax worked fine.
But I prefer to use the real stuff if I can find it.
I paid $2 a pound for real beeswax at the annual Fort Bridger (Wyoming) Rendezvous last Labor Day weekend. This event, about 80 miles east of Salt Lake City, Utah is one of the largest rendezvous in the nation.
I think the advice to contact local beekeepers is excellent. A co-worker is a beekeeper and he gave me a pound of the stuff one day, when he heard I was looking for it.
If beekeepers don't have any for sale, they probably know where to find the real deal.
Also, call your local County Extension Agent (in the government pages of your phone book) and ask for the nearest beekeeper's organization, association or club.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gatofeo, My source use to be the president of the west Ky. beekeepers association. I have e-mailed the current president of the beekeepers assoc. With no reply, Now I have to look elsewhere? I had not thought about any rendezvous. good suggestion! I will also try the local co. extension. I keep forgetting they are here. NUTS
Thanks everyone, John

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr. Forest Punch, Thank you for the offer, I may need to take you up on that offer. But first I am going to look around some more locally. Monday I will call the county extension, and the co-op to see if they know someone locally who raises bees.
Thanks Halfbreed

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the ideas guys, I have written them down in the back of my load notes.
I have a few pounds now this will last long enough to find a good supplier.

Halfbreed,

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jack Monteith, come on now, fess up. How do you keep coming up with all the facts so often. You are right, this is the 'virus' that has been causing so much problem.
Several years ago, I had thought about getting a hive or two of bees for myself and friends.
then all this virus mess really went wild.

John

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Halfbreed:
One of the local ag broadcasts did an item on bee mites a few days ago, and that reminded me of this thread. A quick google search pulled up a ton of links, and I linked a couple from your stamping grounds.

Anyhow, I think beeswax will be in short supply for a few years, and you should stock up when you can, just like we did with primers a few years back. Russian mite resistant queen bees are going for $250 up here, which meaning the profit on a hive is zip, unless the surviving bees have a very good summer.

Mites are 8 legged critters related to spiders, and tend to be a mite small. :)

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jack," and tend to be a mite small" now that was bad even by my standards.
$250 bucks a queen, Now that really stings"
Halfbreed

·
Registered
4 Posts
beeswax at art supply stores

Beeswax can be had from big city art supply stores by mail order. Or in certain larger hardware stores as it is used as a component in furniture polish. I just bought some. Try Pearl Paint in New York City look up there website.
Jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts
I buy my Beeswax off ebay. Taht is where I get my best deal. I just bought 10 pounds of it last month. I got it for $3/#;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do a Google search on apiaries or apiary. Obviously your shipping charges will be a consideration. I recall the last time I bought beeswax from the Watsonville area in Central CA I paid 2 bucks a pound plus shipping, or 2.40 a pound with shipping. My order was for around 32 pounds and was placed at least a couple years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts