Shooters Forum banner

Where for hogs?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Stranger 
#1 ·
I was wondering if you good folks could recommend a place for wild hogs.  I would like to take my father who is a seasoned handgunner as a present to him to celebrate his beatinig cancer.  I'd like to "spot and stalk" for a couple days and then if unsuccessful be taken out over dogs so we could bring home hogs.  I would prefer to camp over staying in a lodge, and would like to take care of our own animals as we have processed 30  or 40 deer how different can a hog be.  We will be shooting handguns.  Pop can hit a clay bird offhand at 100 yards more often than not with his old 44.  If you divide the distance by 4 I can do it too :).

Thanks

#2 ·
The biggest swines, that I know, of hang out on Capital Hill in Washington, DC. There there are the hogs in training also known as lawyers.
I've not gotten any recent info on bag limits and the actual seasons. It might be a good idea to check with your state's eviromental protection dept., under  toxic waste disposal.
Jim

#6 ·
Closest place for you would probably be Tenn.

I would suggest heading over to the Sixguns/Sixgunner forums and posting this question, give your location, and perhaps Jeff Quinn or someone in Tenn can point you in the right direction.

There may be a few places in Missouri, but I don't know if there will be as many opportunities.

I'm in TX and we sure have plenty of hogs but it would be quite a drive.

#7 ·
MIke:  Do you know any good places around Tyler or Atherns area?  

My father in law lives in Athens and he hooked me up with a place I could hunt for free near Corsicana. My brother and I hunted for three days and didn't see anything.  I don't mid paying a reasonable fee.  

Matt

#8 ·
To those who know
   While we are talking hogs, I'd like to know how you handle a dead hog. I remember growing up on a sustainencefarm back in the 30's annd 40's and we 'd always raise a couple of pigs along with a few lambs , a calf  and other animals to provide our meat . I also remember how we used to scrape the hair off of the hogs. Do you skin a hog ? IN the field? i know we have feral hogs here in the southern part of New Mexico and they are a nuisance' I'd like to hunt them.
tbc

#9 ·
Matt,

I generally hunt South Texas (south of I-10).  I haven't hunted in north-east TX, sorry.

Caster -
scalding and scraping is kind of impractical in the field, as you might guess.

We gut them, skin them, cut the head off, then quarter and put into ice chests w/plenty of ice.  Mostly it's way too hot here to let one hang overnight, unless you have a meat cooler.  Skinning is easier if you can find a tree to hang them up for that operation.

Nothing real fancy, just throw away the parts you don't want to eat and put everything else on ice.

Good luck if you get to go on a hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.