Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where have all the primers gone?
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
The scarcity of rifle and pistol primers has not let up.
Does anyone have a line on when we can expect
the supply to lessen up?
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>
I put in an order with Mid South and they said
not to be surprised if the primers take six months
to come in.

Mike.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I bought .5K of Federal large rifle Saturday at the gunshop....$3.85 but I only paid that because I figured there might not be another chance for awhile and I wanted to try some Federals. Also because they were the first large rifle primers I've seen on the shelf for some time now. CCI primers cannot be had for any price or for any reason around here...or online. They just cannot be found here.

Wolf primers are online for $25, so a month or two ago I ordered 1K each of large rifle and large pistol.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm seeing a few up here in Maine. I picked up a brick each of small pistol and small rifle. He had more on the shelf but I didn't need them and wanted to give others a shot at them.

$44 for a brick of CCI small rifle and $39 for a brick of Remington small pistol (1-1/2?) at my favorite gun shop.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Primers seem to be readily available now in the great white north of MN, although the prices are not very nice compared to a year or so ago.

No shortage of 223 ammo either if you don't mind the price.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Primers have been coming back here in the Dakota's for past month. Went into one store recently that has sporatically had different brands/sizes of primers and there shelves were stocked with several brands in all sizes. Have noticed same in other outlets so assume the demand is dropping somewhat. Prices are in the $30/brick for regular and $35/brick for magnum/benchrest.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i picked up 1k cci200's at scheels in fargo on black friday for $35.00 they had a fair assortment but were allowing a maximum of 5 boxes per purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
for those in the DFW area. Bullet Trap in Plano has CCI BR2's and 250's. They appeared to have about 5 1000's of 250 and almost 600 of the BR2's

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
It depends

I picked up 1,000 CCI small rifle primers and 1,000 CCI large rifle primers in a local gun shop last week for $26.00 a brick. The only Winchester primers available were 209 shotgun primers. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
94 Posts
In the Pacific northwest, all the primers you want are available. CCI & WW about $35 per K, RP $39 per K. Now that the industry knows what price the market will bear, I don't think we'll ever see them at $12.50 per K again in our lifetimes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Around here you can generally find both large and small pistol primers, but rifle primers are a bit tougher to come by, especially large ones. I did pick up 4000 a few days ago, however, CCIs, both magnum and standard. The prices are below $30 per K which is still expensive, but better than I've been seeing. I've just been keeping my eyes open and picking them up here and there as I spot them, and think I've finally got enough to last me a few years if need be.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Only primers to be found here in Idaho a shotshell primers -nothing else! And nobody on line is taking backorders!!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
In the Pacific northwest, all the primers you want are available. CCI & WW about $35 per K, RP $39 per K. Now that the industry knows what price the market will bear, I don't think we'll ever see them at $12.50 per K again in our lifetimes.

Where are you finding them?

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
It saddens me to realize that I've been at this game long enough to remember when LP primers were selling for $8.50 per K when I started out. Adding insult to injury is the fact that currently hoarders have temporarily dried up the primer supply. As the others have noted, it is unlikely that I will ever see the $8.50 per K price again, however, since paychecks have grown larger over the years (but purchasing power has not) I will not hold it against anyone for charging what the market will bear. I would just like to see the availability of primers back to what it used to be.

·
Registered
110 Posts
25.00 per brick @ BVAC in Missoula Mt for CCI all sizes and they have lots.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It saddens me to realize that I've been at this game long enough to remember when LP primers were selling for $8.50 per K when I started out. Adding insult to injury is the fact that currently hoarders have temporarily dried up the primer supply. As the others have noted, it is unlikely that I will ever see the $8.50 per K price again, however, since paychecks have grown larger over the years (but purchasing power has not) I will not hold it against anyone for charging what the market will bear. I would just like to see the availability of primers back to what it used to be.

Having enough primers to keep you shooting and avoiding shortages isn't hording.

How do you think makes primers? Maybe the ammo companys? If they can't keep enough ammo on the shelves, how are they going to have extra primers to sell to handloaders? There are 2 wars going on and the military is using ammo by the freighter.

Ever since King Hussein was anointed, ammo and guns have been selling a record levels, so if you want to point the finger at a culprit, point it at his majesty Barrack Hussein Obama.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,986 Posts
Leave the politics out or risk the thread getting shut down.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I load so few rounds each year (normally) that a K will last me years. Now I'm down to 200 and I've got two new calibers to work up loads for.

Guess I'll keep looking and checking the online catalogs. Every time Ive checked they've said Out Of Stock - Backorders not allowed"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well DUUUH!

Is it any wonder there appears to be a shortage of any commodity when folks are buying "enough to last me a few years".
There's no lessening of supply, some of us need look no further then the mirror for any perceived shortages.
As some one else here said, here in the NW we can pick up a sleeve or two what ever we need.
Little hysteria buying here. Some places won't even sell ya more then a couple sleeves at a time.
Haven't bought a brick since the days I shot IPSC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts