Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: **SEE POST #18 OF THIS THREAD FOR THE LIST OF MANUFACTURERS I KNOW OF**

I'm curious about this, though why is not completely clear to me. Also curious as to how many actual manufacturers are out there.

I'm thinking mainly of the ones that don't say, like Accurate Arms powders (at least the ones I have). Alliant puts it on their bottles, and I think Hodgdon does on all the brands they own now? I've seen "Made in Belgium" before on I believe a Ramshot bottle, though I don't know whether they put it on everything.

As I recall, most/all of Hodgdon's "own" rifle powders are Aussie,
IMR rifle powders are all Canadian, aren't they?
Winchester powders: All American, or some foreign? 748 & 760 are American, I thought?
Accurate?
Alliant: Many of the Reloader rifle powders are Swedish, IIRC?
Ramshot: All Beligian? Some others?
VihtaVuori: All from Finland, AFAIK.

Whose am I missing?
Where are pistol & shotgun powders made? Is there more than 1 powder manufacturer in the USA? All I know of is the old Olin/Winchester outfit whose name I can't recall just now.
I thought I'd heard that there's a huge manufacturer in central Europe somewhere. Perhaps the Czech Republic? Do they make anything that we'd normally see in America?

Thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm curious about this, though why is not completely clear to me. Also curious as to how many actual manufacturers are out there.

I'm thinking mainly of the ones that don't say, like Accurate Arms powders (at least the ones I have). Alliant puts it on their bottles, and I think Hodgdon does on all the brands they own now? I've seen "Made in Belgium" before on I believe a Ramshot bottle, though I don't know whether they put it on everything.

As I recall, most/all of Hodgdon's "own" rifle powders are Aussie,
IMR rifle powders are all Canadian, aren't they?
Winchester powders: All American, or some foreign? 748 & 760 are American, I thought?
Accurate?
Alliant: Many of the Reloader rifle powders are Swedish, IIRC?
Ramshot: All Beligian? Some others?
VihtaVuori: All from Finland, AFAIK.

Whose am I missing?
Where are pistol & shotgun powders made? Is there more than 1 powder manufacturer in the USA? All I know of is the old Olin/Winchester outfit whose name I can't recall just now.
I thought I'd heard that there's a huge manufacturer in central Europe somewhere. Perhaps the Czech Republic? Do they make anything that we'd normally see in America?

Thanks for all replies.
The funny part about that Canadian powder is that although we make it here, you guys can buy it cheaper. Same as our beer. Go figure. :D

At least it's not all made in China. I'll bet that happens before too long.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Winchester comes from St Marks, Fla.
IMR now comes from Canada.
Hodgdon comes from Winchester, IMR & Australia

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Olin Corp has chemical manufacturing all over the world, so its only a guess where their base stocks come from.

As mentioned Hodgdon has taken over packaging for all Winchester & IMR powders.

All the powder that we see as reloaders probably only makes up about 30% of the powder manufactured.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, I am aware that Hodgdon has acquired a license from Olin to use the Winchester name on powders. I also know that Olin spun off the smokeless powder manufacturing facility in FL some years ago. I didn't/don't know whether they retain an ownership or controlling interest in the new entity, nor do I know whether there was/is any other source for the Winchester powders besides that FL facility? I know that Hodgdon sells IMR now, but do they own the IMR brand outright, or do they just license it from someone?

Is ALL IMR powder Canadian? Pistol, shotgun, rifle, everything?

I thought that some of the Hodgdon powders (The Hxxxx stuff that's not just re-branded Winchester) said made in the USA? Some of the pistol/shotgun stuff perhaps? I know that most or all of Hodgdon's non-rebranded-Winchester rifle powders are Aussie.

Accurate? Anyone know the source(s) for that stuff?

Are there other American smokeless manufacturing facilities besides the ex-Olin facility in St. Marks, FL? Things of this type seem almost obvious (to me) to be located in MT, ID, WY, or somewhere like that, but I don't think that any are?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
last i knew Acurrate Arms was using quite a few Czeck powders which are generally very good powders. most of the ramshot stuff is from belgium with one or two of their offerings being made in america.
as i recall Primex used to make the WW powders but i don't know if that is still the case or not... i do know that hornady bullets are made in nebraska tho!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
All of Ramshot's powders are made in belgium and packaged in Miles City, MT. Many of Accurate's powders are also Beligian, although I'm not sure which ones. They are also packaged in Miles City.

Western Powders Inc, is a warehouse for all makes of powders, including many that are not available to the public.

All of IMR's powders are made in Canada.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
The summary is: Winchester powders are all made in St Marks, Florida.

Everything else is made ... everywhere else.

At various times, I have seen "origin" stamps from Australia, Belgium, Sweden, Czech Republic, South Africa, France, Scotland and more. There are few countries on earth that do NOT make gunpowder of some kind, and much of it is exported.

I have seen at least three versions of some powders, all from different countries, but sold as the same thing. Some even looked different, but burned about the same (which is almost the only important thing).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Alliant says all their older type powders, (Herco, Bullseye, Unique, 2400, and the three "Dots") are made in America. Same with their PP, Am Select, and Steel. I don't know where their other stuff is made.

Hodgdon does make some powder in the states. Lil Gun and H110, at least. Dunno about the others.

·
Super Moderator
13,191 Posts
I read somewhere that the new Alliant Reloader 17 is Swiss. Don't know about the others. St. Marks is now owned by General Dynamics, I believe.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Hodgdon does not "make" any smokeless powder whatever. Never have. They repackage and label only. In the 70s and 80s, all of their non-surplus extruded powders were made by Imperial Chemical Industries in Scotland. ICI is long defunct and Hodgdon Extreme extruded powders are now made by ADI of Australia.

H110 is W296 are virtually the same powder made in St Marks Florida by General Dynamics formerly Olin(the only Ball powder facility in North America). They've always been manufactured in the US. LilGun is made in the same place. My source for this is Chris Hodgdon, who ought to know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
More like a slip of the mind, which is a bit more disturbing. Knowing better and typing better don't always meet in the middle. For me, at least. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I read somewhere that the new Alliant Reloader 17 is Swiss. Don't know about the others. St. Marks is now owned by General Dynamics, I believe.
Handloader #255 says the Reloder line is made by Bofors of Sweden, except for 17, which is from Nitro Chemie of Switzerland.

Handloader #253 says Olin sold its powder making to General Dynamics, but retained the Winchester name & logo, which is now licensed by Hodgdon. Hodgdon bought IMR outright, so yes, they are in the mfg business now.

·
Super Moderator
13,191 Posts
That's correct. I'd forgotten that. Talked to the rep at an industry show one time.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
EDITED:

So, we have these guys actually manufacturing powders:

General Dynamics American company that makes all Canadian-made IMR rifle powders, all Winchester Ball powders, some Accurates, the Alliant shpericals (PowerPro), and some Hodgdons.
ATK American company that apparently makes all American-made Alliant pistol/shotgun powders (the flake powders, basically).
Thales French company that owns ADI, makes all of Hodgy's "Extreme" rifle powders, plus some IMRs. At least 27% owned by the State of France, and 25.9% owned by Dassault.
Rheinmetall German owner of Nitrochemie. Makes Reloder-17. Don't know about other commercial powders.
Groupe SNPE French State-owned. Makes all Bofors (most of the Reloder line, and the Norma line) and Ramshot powders via their Eurenco layer.
Nammo Makes Vihtavuori powders, pending regulatory approval of purchase from Eurenco. Nammo is owned 50/50 by the State of Norway and Patria group. Patria is 73.2% owned by the State of Finland, 26.8% by Airbus Industries. So, Nammo is 50% Norwegian, 36.6% Finnish, and 13.4% French.

I cannot tell for certain whether Olin actually manufactures powder any more or not, but it appears they got out of powder manufacture with the Primex spin-off (which General Dynamics bought later). They (Olin) still manufacture ammunition.

I expect that the Chinese and Russians have sources for smokeless powder other than 'western' companies (potential non-allies), but I don't know of anything they make for the civilian market?

Anybody got anything else?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I believe that Nammo makes Alliants Swedish RL line of powders, which are similar to the Vihtavuori line.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There are some powders listed on Hodgdon's site that appear to be identical but labeled Winchester, or Hodgdon. H110 and W296 for instance, and W760 and H414 IIRC. Some others too. I had heard for years that H110 and 296 were the same powder with different labels. It appears that the data is identical right across the page on Hodgdon's site for a given bullet. It's interesting though, that the data for the two powders is slightly different in every other manual I've seen.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts