Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 1873 and an 1892 Winchester last year. I can't seem to find any ammo for either one.
I need to find 32-20 and 32-40 loads. I live in Delaware and all I keep hearing at the local gun shops is that they are "seasonal" but they never seem to be "in season." I'd really like to shoot these rifles. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
My advice is to learn how to reload.

My 1897 mfg'd Mod 94 in 32-40 gets steady diet of gccast and Trailboss powder. An easy cartridge to load for.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Welcome to Shooter's Forum, Mike!

In normal years, when there isn't a huge increase in demand for all types of ammo, companies DO make seasonal runs of obsolete ammo. That probably isn't happening right now because manufacturers have all they can do to make the more common stuff.

To own guns chambered for the old cartridges you mentioned...is to be a reloader. There's just nothing else for it. You lay in a supply of brass, primers, powders and bullets, then load what you want, when you want.

My '92 in 44/40 gets a mixed diet of 200gr cast boolits, with an occasional tubeful of 200gr XTP's, loaded to original WCF specs. Darn good little rifle! :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
The cheapest I have seen 32-20 is $35.00 per box of 50. Just what has been said above. If ya plan on keeping these fine rifles learn to reload. Reloading is not a cheep investment, but it is very rewarding. Once you get the tools and components you will not have to rely on going to the store to buy bullets anymore. If ya learn to cast bullets you can save even more money. Those old rifles were designed for lead bullets, so feed them what they like.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently bought my first Model 92 32-20 rifle and carbine, bought the components and loaded my own. I Love it!! You will have an initial investment but it is well worth it, if you do not load your own you better have some deep pockets or not plan on doing much shooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts