Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a book called 'Recreating the Eighteenth Century Powder Horn' so that I would know how to make my own traditional powder container. I'm not interested in buying one already made. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone around me who sells raw cow horns, so I'll probably have to buy it online. I am looking for a 10 to 14 inch long horn that is mostly white so that I can decorate it with scrimshaw. I have searched for hours on the internet and have found many a horn, but none are quite what I am looking for, either they have too much black to allow room for scrimshaw or they're too small, look ugly, or too expensive. I don't want to pay more that $25 for one horn. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
15,339 Posts
Argentina is probably your best bet, but I have no idea how to import or how many you'd have to import to sort through to get the right color, shape and size. Mexico has furniture places that use piles of them, but I have no Idea where the supply is....besides cows.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently got a book called 'Recreating the Eighteenth Century Powder Horn' so that I would know how to make my own traditional powder container. I'm not interested in buying one already made. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone around me who sells raw cow horns, so I'll probably have to buy it online. I am looking for a 10 to 14 inch long horn that is mostly white so that I can decorate it with scrimshaw. I have searched for hours on the internet and have found many a horn, but none are quite what I am looking for, either they have too much black to allow room for scrimshaw or they're too small, look ugly, or too expensive. I don't want to pay more that $25 for one horn. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
This is an English cow horn that I made for a double barrel 12 ga mussel loader that's in the walnut case.
Problem is since the mad cow disease hit in England there are no more English cows imported. My brother has a custom slaughter house . That's how I got the horn.

Greg AKA Trainman

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
This was made from an English Cow horn banned from the USA

]This is an English cow horn that I made for a double barrel 12 ga mussel loader that's in the walnut case.
Problem is since the mad cow disease hit in England there are no more English cows imported. My brother has a custom slaughter house . That's how I got the horn.

Greg AKA Trainman[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Welcome Karp.

I've bought them at Mountain man shops. They usually have a barrel of them to pick thru. usually $10-12 rough, and un polished.

Generally where are you located? PM me.

·
Premium Member
15,339 Posts
Tandy was part of Radio Shack and closed most of the stores. They're still on line, though.
I always wanted to find a leather store and cigar store in the same building. Nothing smells quite as good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
cow horns

Find a butcher shop that takes large animals. They usually require that they kill the animal and thus would have horns from a steer or cow that they have to get rid of anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
try the places that cater to specifically to muzzle loading rifle shooters

a range of horns are available from Track of The Wolf

Books, and more knowledge than you want, available at www.hornguild.com, the Honorable Company of Harners site

Log Cabin Shop, on-line as I forget what, in Pennsylvania, also has this stuff

·
Registered
346 Posts
Years ago I was in a state that had a butchering business close by and I went in and asked. (I built a few powder horns in my life.) They looked surprised when I asked but they said come back tomorrow and I did and they had a big sack of them for me for free. I had to "core" myself but that was easy. Boil them for a minute or two and smack it against a piece of wood and the core falls out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Geez, sure find out stuff here! Never realized cow's had horns but never really followed one around town to catch any of the tooting!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts