Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So living in Southern California has it's ups and downs. Beautiful weather and plenty of good places to eat are offset by expensive and inconvenient ranges. My brother and I are looking for a place, in all likelihood out in the desert, where we could park our motor home, build a camp fire and unload a few hundred rounds without having to pay range fees.

As I understand it, once you get out into the Mojave desert you can shoot pretty much anywhere. What I am looking for is suggestions on good places to camp out AND shoot. Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
517 Posts
You are correct about the Mojave. What you are looking for is BLM land. Or, also National Forest land. You'd need to check w/the National Forest on that as they are going to have closures. Check the BLM website for the area you are focusing on and it will have closures listed...usually near an urban area or in a OHV area.

Don't overlook Imperial, or Riverside, or San Bernadino Counties in the BLM land.

My Bro-in-law lives in the Long Beach area. They drive about 1.5 hours east...I don't know to where. But, I assume going towards Barstow and shoot out in the desert.

I'd look for an area that you like, not focusing on the shooting as pretty much everywhere that you go to will be shooter friendly....once you get off of the LA metro map.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you checked the Owens Valley area? Just about anywhere between, say, Olancha and Bishop oughta do it. Ask around, but, I think you should be ok up there. Do you know where I'm talking about?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wherever you go out in the desert areas, make certain you have a very good, substantial back stop for your bullets. Out in those comparatively flat desert areas, without a good back stop those bullets can go way, way, way down range, addressed "To Whom It May Concern." :eek:

I lived in Los Angeles for 36 years and I and my buds often were out in the Mojave Desert, and other desert areas. We had bullets fly our way a couple of times, merely because some unseen fools were cranking off rounds without backstops, and didn't see us as we were not in their view.

While you're out in the desert, don't fall in any abandoned mine shafts. They're out there and more than a few people walking around oblivious to their surroundings and "desert dangers" have fallen into old shafts.

Good luck.

L.W.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you take State Route 78 East to Ocatillo Wells and take Split Mountain road South past the entrance to Fish Creek (Fossils, not live fish, this is the desert) and before you get to a Gypsum plant, turn east again. There is both shooting (very informal --- we need to take more out that we leave behind or they'll close this too) and camping. However, it is un-improved camping (actually primitive) -- no hookups or facilities. Make sure you bring spare tires, I cut a tire on a sharp rock last time I was out there. There is also BLM land just as you drop into the desert from Julien, its closer but I haven't explored it yet. You could also go our to Lake Lucerne area (dry lake) if you are in the L.A. area.

BearBear

·
Registered
834 Posts
As of now all the National forest in my area is locked up because of the situation in Washington.Pretty silly when there is never any Forestry Personnel out there with the exception of locking or unlocking the gates

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in San Diego, what part of SoCal are you in? i know of a few places around here and out towards Indio and the Salton Sea....

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a area out by shadow mountain (shadow mtn road) off the 395 bout 15-20 miles from Adelano that is a designated shooting area I frequent quite often. Plenty of area to set up a RV or anything else and can shoot a considerable distance (500+ yards) with shadow Mtn as a back drop. Steel jacketed or core ammo how ever is not allowed as per the FS guideline.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
It do blow here. These are some excellent suggestions. I don;t live far from Ocatillo Wells. There are a couple areas in the National Forrest near Idyllwild that are closed more than they are open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts