Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Ruger LCR that I really like to carry and shoot. It is light (13 oz.) and I also carry in the pistol Corbon 110 Gr. hollowpoints. 5 of those in the gun barely adds anyweight to the overall weight of the gun being loaded.
These bullets are expensive, and I want to practice with a similiar weight bullet I can cast myself. Using the same weight bullets will replicate the carry loads, although slower than the factory loading because they will be WW alloy bullets. The Dilemma: I don't think there is a 110 grain RN bullet for .38 is there? I haven't found any modern offerings yet. Any ideas where something like this could be found? casting and reloading my own practice loads would be much cheaper than trying to practice with factory loadings.
Thanx in advance ........
Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Super Moderator
13,432 Posts
NEI mold #130A is a 115 grain SWC, which should be close enough. You don't need a round nose at close range for the shot placement to be the same. You'll find that bullet weight is what affects point of impact most in a handgun, and differences in charge weight matter less. So, shooting a lighter load with it should be fine. Hotter loads tend to raise the muzzle more, of course, but they also get the bullet out of the barrel sooner. For a given bullet weight at shorter ranges, those factors often cancel out.

If you talk to NEI, they may be able to back the cherry out enough to reduce the expected cast weight to 110 grains? You may need to tell them what alloy you are casting with to get that? I notice Lee has a mold for 105 grain SWC. Thats a less expensive route to go, and maybe inexpensive enough that you want to give it a try before committing to a more expansive mold?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay. Hope I don't get jumped on to badly, but here is an idea. Lee Molds seem to always drop a little larger in diameter than listed. The 38 or 357 is a .358 diameter bullet, whereas the 9mm is .356. Lee makes a 1 ogive rn mold for the 9mm in 102grs. States it is .356. But it will drop larger. (I have found my Lee molds drop .002 to .003 larger than stated) Casting with wws the bullet should drop heavier and should be good fit to bore without sizing. Should get you pretty darn close to 110grs. with a rn bullet.
Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts