Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a bolt action rifle (243) and would like to know source of information on comparison of different brands (Remington vs Brownings) etc.

Any suggestions/direction would be appreciated.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Danny,
What kind of comparisons or research are you looking for? Action strength? Type of bolt (pushfeed vs. CRF), barrel lengths, styles, ???

Let us know what your specific needs or questions are and there's several here that can help. Most of us have a mixed bag of rifles in our own personal collections.

Whichever one you choose, if it meets your needs, I'm sure you'll get a good quality rifle. Rifle manufacturing companies today, especially companies like Winchester, Ruger, Remington, Browning, Sako, Savage, etc... produce really good quality products. Just got to find one that fits you, your preferences and what you want to use it for.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
Just got the latest "Shooting Times" and Jaimson has an article comparing features on current bolt action rifles. So good timing.

Doesn't really 'rate' them as that would entail a lot of personal bias, but as stated, ask away with specific questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. I was interested in a Remengton 700 BDL until I read in the HunterAmerica Forum that Remington has lots of trigger and casing extraction problem. I just want some expert opinion how these common rifles are ranked in terms of accuracy, durability, special features, resale values etc... It is just like reading the Consumers Report or Road & Track before buying a car. The more you know the better decision you make. Regards... Danny

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Danny Leung
Well if you have friends that shoot and have the same caliber your interested in ask them if you could shoot thier firearms- if not go to your local gun shop and see what the offer in what your looking for - If your lucky an have a shop with a range they may let you shoot them before you buy.
I got to ask, are you a first time buyer? If you are take some one with experience with you to the shop when you want to buy/look at the guns. But don't let them change your mind on something that fits what your looking for- and read, read, read!!!

MikeG- was right if you've got questions you can ask here we have many experienced shooters/and hunters here. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike:

Thanks for the reply.
I am a first time buyer into center fire rifle given that I own a 22 rifle. Have been to a few shops and found the sales not very helpful (they will try to tell you stories to close the sales rather than give you ideas on different products). I will go to book stores this afternoon and see if I can find some magazines as suggested. It is an exciting time to go thro' the buying/selecting process and I will take my time.
Regards... Danny

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Try GUNTEST magazine. They are pretty impartial and choose their "test" guns by going to the stores and picking out say, 3 .357 revolvers... or 3 3006's.
I've gotten their magazine for about two years now and it really has helped me evaluate a few of the purchases I've made.

I think they have a web site, thry www.gun-tests.com

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
See what you can borrow from your friends to shoot. Stock fit, especially under recoil, is a VERY subjective thing. Even a small centerfire can be uncomfortable if the stock is smacking your face.

It would be nearly impossible for someone else to recommend the best stock design to you, and honestly, that's probably the single biggest feature that will make a difference in how the rifle shoots for you (aside from a decent trigger which no rifle maker seems to be able to get right from the factory).

As far as feeding, extraction, accuracy, and so on, most rifles of any brand will do fine if you operate them properly and keep them maintained. About the only debate people can manage to scare up these days is the trend back towards controlled round feeding, and let's be honest, you will not be shooting dangerous game with a .243 (or shouldn't be, anyway). So don't worry about that.

What are you going to do with the rifle? If hunting, what and where? Stainless steel might be a consideration if you expect to have the gun in bad weather conditions.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Boy oh boy!! How many readers here have just had their memories jogged back to their own First New Rifle purchase? Not counting the one Grandpa gave them, or one picked up at the pawn shop for $10 or $20 just 'cause you had the $$? (Back when prices were there and whatever age you were didn't matter?) Savor the moment, Danny, and thanks for the memories!!

Regards from NW Montana,

Denurban

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks:

I will sign off from here and say that I really appreciate your advice.

I have reviewed a number of articles from gun-tests.com and have confirmed my understanding that Browning rifles are excellent choices in terms of quality and accuracy. Having looked at the A-Bolt stainless steel Stalker, I think my mind is made up – it is cool. As suggested, the stainless steel version does have the advantage in bad weather. The Browning with the BOSS option is on sale for around Can$900 plus 15% taxes.

In terms of caliber I will settle on 243 for target shooting. The 243 cartridges are popular and not too expensive which is an important factor for me. I don’t think I will go deer hunting right away but I may team up with some friends and give it a try later.

The only decision left is what scope I would put on the rifle. There are relatively few choices in silver color unless one wants to spend into the Can$600+ range for a Peupold. I will sit on that for a few days and then go to buy the package. I really look forward to doing this finally.

Regards… Danny

·
Registered
268 Posts
Danny~

I own a Miroku M-bolt extreme stainless/synthetic .308 (No- boss) which is identical except for the name stamped on it. I have also shot with a Browning A-bolt hunter .243 (No-boss) excellant passed the Deer stalkers certificate with it.I have no hesitation recommending the A-bolt. From my experince they will shoot better than you can ! Mine can head shoot the Beartooth prarie dog target at 200 yards on the range can't ask for better than that ! And thats my deer load !

I love the detachable box magazine, its one of the reasons i bought it.My stainless barrel is light weight and lookins very thin, i was very worried about quick heating effecting my groups............ do not worry, i put 30 rounds though fast as i could load and aim at 200 yards the group was plenty for deer, dispite the fact i could not touch that thin barrel !

RE- Boss...... I have no experinces of them, but i know many do not like them, so i would ask more on this subject im sure others here would be happy to help...............

Cant see how you could go wrong with a A-bolt , i tried them i love em !

Englander:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts