Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

I've been wanting a .45 Colt Ruger for hunting/heavy load plinking for years, and always wound up putting it off for something else.  I've decided that I'd really like to pick one up.  I'd like the Bisley frame, and a 4 1/2" or 5 1/2" barrel best, and I'm pretty sure I'd like adjustable sights.    This all ads up to the Bisley model, I guess.

I hear a lot about the throats being improperly sized...should I check for that at a dealer, or just expect it and deal with it after the purchase? How would I check for it at the dealer?  (I have a set of dial calipers for reloading, and a set of mics as well.)  What's the best way to get my chambers/throat/barrel/forcing cone all taken care of?

What upgrades are necessary to have a good and reliably operating piece for heavy load shooting.  I don't plan to shoot it a whole lot, as I'm a very active Highpower Rifle competitor and that takes a lot of time.  However, I would still like a reliable piece.

Thanks for your time, ya'll.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am sure you will get some sage advise here.

My input, for what it is worth, is to get the Bisley (I have a Vaquero in 45LC and love it!) and attempt to wear it out.

Considering that the gun will probably last several lifetimes if you do not exceed Max loads, you should have your work cut out for you.

Before spending a bunch of bucks fixing what may or may not be broken, play around with loads and bullets for a while. I think you may find that the gun is capable of shooting better than you can.

Removing one leg of the trigger spring can help alot, as can installing a Belt Mountain Base Pin.

Investigate John Linebaughs site and his articles (he is partial to the Ruger .45 I think ;*) as that will give you some insight into the fine handgun you have chosen and still your fears that you need to do a major overhaul before you have a fine plinker and effective hunting handgun.

Most of all, have fun, enjoy the grand ol' .45, and keep us posted.

I am sure the boys will give more constructive input in the next few days.

Blessings from North Pole, Alaska

Scotty

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
New Guy,

I'll echo what Scotty had to say, and add simply this.  You'll most definitely need to open up the cylinder throats on a new production .45LC to maximize the accuracy potential of the gun, if this is to be a new production gun that you purchase.   The new guns have throats that are from 0.4495"-0.450" in diameter, and as such, the bullets are under the groove diamter of the barrel before they ever hit the forcing cone.  Jacketed bullets shoot like a house afire, cast bullets need the throats opened up to 0.452"-0.4525" for best results.

Outside of this one modification, your new Bisley will be an outsanding companion for years to come, as it is, right out of the box... and yes, doing the poor-man's trigger job will work wonders on the trigger pull.

Check this out:

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.php/26" target='_blank'>http://beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.php/26</a>​

Let us know how you make out with your new sixgun!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, where do I get the throats opened up?  I read about the Taylor throat treatment...is that what I want?  What company does it well?  Also, do I need one of those Belt Mountain base pins?

Also, where should I get the barrel shortened?  Apparently the Bisley only comes with a 7.5" barrel?  I'd much prefer a 5.5"...but where?

(Edited by New guy at 5:26 pm on Sep. 29, 2001)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ditto what has already been said. I can add a little. All of the "popular" sixgun 'smiths will open you throat and you will only have to send them your cylinder. The popular ones are Bowen, Linebaugh, Huntington, and Clements. I am sure there is more, but that is whole other question. I prefer Clements (  http://www.clementscustomguns.com/ ). He built my 500 Linebaugh and does quality work at a good price. All of these 'smiths will also cut you barrel down, but now you are adding plenty of dollars to your bill. Two other options here- First, a company name accusport had Ruger make a bunch of 5.5 inch stainless Bisleys. There are probably still some around. Inquire over @ Sixgunner.com. Two- Have you ever thought about a standard Blackhawk, 5.5 inch barrel, with a (dare I say it) Hogue or Pachmayr grip? They have models that allow your whole hand on the grip. This package would be the cheaper route.

Good luck,
Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive seen several folks talking about "inquiring at sixgunner.com" but I don't see a sixgunner.com forum there...jsut a lot of ads for different smiths...does anyone have  a link for the forum?

I don't like the BH grip at all, so if I go that route, I'll have to get it converted.

·
Registered
572 Posts
New Guy,

Go to http://www.sixguns.com/ and enter the discussion board "The Campfire"

Them guys know their sixguns.

When faced with your dilema, I wound up with the Stainless Bisley Vaquero. I had to forego adjustable sights, but feel that for my purposes I realy only needed one or two loads to hit at point of aim. I needed a heavyweight to back up clients while guiding (and to defend myself while dinking around in the Northwoods) and a somewhat lightweight for plinking and "stewmeat" while foraging the forest.

I am not fully there yet, but the gun is satisfactory and I am proceeding slowly untill such time as my shooting catches up to the guns capabilities. As it was, from the box, it was a shooter and capable of meeting most requirements at close range. I believe that further work will serve to only extend the range. That extension will depend as much on me shooting alot as it will on the tweeking of the firearm itself.

Most of the "tweeking" needs to be done to me at this point! I am still early in the learning curve.

The "Bisquero" carries well, shoots well, and is stout!!
I packed it for over a month, day in and day out, in the bush this fall, and never felt like I needed something "better". Improvements will come slowly as real need develops. I expect your experience will be similar once you hear a certain model "call your name".

Enjoy,

Scotty

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
New Guy,

One of your questions that hasn't been addressed is your question about Taylor Throating.

Taylor Throating does not apply to the throats the other responders are referencing. The Ruger .45's are known for the throats in the cylinder being undersized. The cylinder cavities are constructed to hold the brass and then narrow down into the "throats". As you can imagine, if the cylinder throats are small than the groove diameter or the barrel, the bullets will be undersized when they enter the barrel and poor accuracy will occur.

The "Taylor Throating" on the other hand is applied to the barrel and not the cylinder. The primary function of Taylor Throating is to relieve the constriction that typically occurs in wheel guns where the barrel treads into the frame. For a more complete understanding of Taylor Throating, I'll refer you to one of the nationally known gunsmiths, Jim Stroh, that advocates Taylor Throating for improved accuracy. Another process for addressing the barrel constrictions is fire lapping, which can be done by you without a gunsmith's assistance. You will find several thorough discussions of fire lapping on this Beartooth site. The web site for Jim Stroh (Alpha Precision) is:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alphaprecision/revolveraccuracy.html

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, DOK!  

I'm really getting a lot of good info both here and at the sixgun forum.

BTW, I found that the company isn't "Accusport" but Acu-Sport...  that eliminated the search engine headaches.

Thanks to Mark, too!

(Edited by New guy at 9:51 pm on Sep. 30, 2001)

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
New Guy,

Our pleasure and yes, those gosh, darn computers are particular about spelling! They must be female?

One item I forgot to mention that I highly recommend to both rifle and handgunners is Marshall Stanton's "Tech Manual".  It covers a lot of ground and comes from hands-on experience, written so even folks like me can understand. You can order the manual from this site and I found it to be a very cheap investment for my education.

Dan

·
Registered
572 Posts
New Guy,

For the "dreamers" in the group, there is always this route!

<a href="http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/45backpacker.htm

If" target="_blank">http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/45backpacker.htm

If</a> only Ed McMahon would come a callin...

Perhaps someday when my Bisquero grows up.

Scotty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts