Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice, based on experience, on which of the following .22 rifles to purchase. I will use the rifle for plinking, small game hunting, and generally for low cost practice. I have pared down the list of rifles that I am considering to the following; Ruger 77/22 stainless steel with iron sights; Taurus stainless steel with 23" barrel, Marlin 39?, Marlin 25N. I realize that the price range is from $150 to $400 without scope, but this will probably be the last .22 that I purchase so the price is not a consideration. I will probably mount a Leopold scope later on. I like the idea of stainless steel and a plastic stock, for ease of care, but also blue steel and walnut for the beauty of the rifle. I can go either way regarding these choices. What I would primarily like is comments from those who have experience with the above rifles regarding their accuracy, etc.. Thanks DGR

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
The practical (?) choice is whichever one most closely matches your centerfire hunting rifles.

However, I can tell you that my 39A is a tack driver, with a 6x Leupold scope......

·
Banned
548 Posts
DGR160 -

Your list is an interesting mix of candidates. All quite different from each other. I guess I don't like the safety on top of the Taurus bolt, and the Ruger 77 is overpriced. The 25M is really a hunting rifle, not for targets and plinking with the 22 Mag ammo - at least in my book. The M39 is classic and accurate, so probably the most tempting in your group.

·
Registered
88 Posts
DGR,
Being a Ruger fan, i would have to recommend the 77/22 as a rifle deserving of careful consideration. I really feel Ruger offers great value for the dollar. I have had a blued 77/22, sporter weight barrel for several years now. I topped it with a limited edition Leupold Alaskan 6x scope. The scope has a 7/8" dia. body. I had a local gunsmith turn out a pair of bushings to fit the scope with the 1" Ruger factory rings supplied with the rifle. The only accuraccy modification was to install a Volquartsen trigger sear and spring (a drop-in part). Shooting Federal match and ultra-match cartridges results in about .5 to .75 inch groups at 50 meters- good enough for me and head shots at grey squirrels! Sorting other brands of cartridges with a rim thickness guage also results with "good" groups. Good luck with your selection!

·
Registered
238 Posts
DGR160 - The Marlin .22 is the choice of that list of rimfires. The hard part comes when you try to choose between the 39A or the Texan! :) That's what I'm trying to decide on now!
P.S. Anybody want a Rem Nylon 66 Bicentenial ?

·
Banned
548 Posts
CEJ -

Speaking of Marlins and your Nylon 66, have you checked out the Marlin Model 795 autoloader? 4.5 pounds, 10 shot clip, composite stock, 18 inch bbl and digests everything without a glitch. I got mine retail for $125, topped it with a Red dot ($35 from Midway)and brother is it fun to shoot.

Good trigger and perfect ergonomics smake it pointable and as quick as a carbine can possibly be. Even with the light weight, you can hold the dot on a coke can at 25 paces and empty the clip in 3 secs without a miss.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
dgr160

Would you be interested in a Ruger 10/22???

email me.....
Chris~;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for the offer on the 10/22 but I've been there and as for the Marlin auto it is a nice rifle but since I got my 1895GG I've had the urge to pick up a Marlin lever action 22! I don't know how this happened since I was a confirmed bolt action man, but something about the way the 45-70 handles in the nasty stuff just makes me a happy camper! The nylon 66 never shot well at all no matter how clean it was or what ammo I used, so I couldn't in pawn it off on one of you guys. I'll always have a bolt action with me when I head to camp but the 45-70 is what I'll grab when it's time to head into that nasty cedar swamp! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts