Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which bullet would work best for deer and black bear out of a 300 wsm. I need a bullet that works good at close range as well as long range. Expansion seems to be a problem when shooting deer at close range when using the ammo designed for medium-heavy game. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
296 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm a big fan of Barnes bullets, but in this case, I'd go w/ a Nosler Accubond in a premium bullet...or a Hornady Interlock in a non bonded.

Actually, a Remington corelock would probably be fine as well. It might not hold together on a close shot, but so what? It'll still kill.

·
Banned
107 Posts
We've found the 165 Gr. Accubond to be a great bullet for deer, bear, and elk in our 300 WSM's, plus they are pretty darn accurate.:)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Barnes TTSX will work well

I love TSX bullets or the TTSX, it's an extremely fast opening bullet that'll work on anything thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're handloading I've had excellent results with Hornady 165 BTSP Interlock and equally well with Sierra 165 SBT GameKing. Great accuracy and performance at ranges from 25 yds to 400 so far shooting NC deer. Meat damage kept to a minimum and they drop real quick. Federal Premium may offer a factory loaded Sierra? I've used the 165 Nosler Partition in a Federal Premium factory load and found that to be great, although only took deer beyond 200 yds with it, nothing in close.

I'd suspect you'd want a heavier bullet for bear, so suggest looking to 180 gr., or can probably use a lighter bullet if in a Barnes.

If looking at a factory load, suggest you stay away from the ballistic tip bullets. I have not had good experience with those at all, despite their great accuracy. At close range in the 300WSM they seem to fragment and blow grapefruit sized holes in everything. At long range, well, they blow grapefruit sized holes in everything....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I am considering the 165 or 180 grain Federal Fusions. I have heard from a few others that the tipped bullets are devestating as far as tissue damage. Is there any reason why you wouldn't think the fusion would be just as effective on a big blackie?

·
Banned
991 Posts
What ever would work good in a 30-06 will work good in the 300WSM, if it is black bear choose a 180gr bullet and you won't have any problems of course that is if you have good shot placement.

·
Banned
415 Posts
If looking at a factory load, suggest you stay away from the ballistic tip bullets. I have not had good experience with those at all, despite their great accuracy. At close range in the 300WSM they seem to fragment and blow grapefruit sized holes in everything. At long range, well, they blow grapefruit sized holes in everything....
Ditto. Those ballistic tips I think must be sent from the devil. The first deer I shot with the winchester ballistic silvertip (.270 WSM, 130 grain at about 70 yards) was the last one. It killed it dead alright...it didn't even twitch. But I have NEVER seen so much meat damage on any deer, with any caliber or bullet. I've never tried the Barnes TTSX, but I hear they're good...and the Barnes TSX has ALWAYS been good. Personally, I'd take one of them.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If you are using a .30 mag of any type, do yourself a favor and use a atleast a 180gr Bullet. It's just a waste to use anything less. 180gr Hornady Interlock, 180g Gameking, 180gr Accubond, 180gr TSX/TTSX, or first and foremost the 180gr Nosler Partition.

Yes there are a lot other good bullets out there, but for me the Swift A-Frame doesnt offer anything over a Partition to cost THAT much more. Same with the Scirocco vs the Accubond.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you are using a .30 mag of any type, do yourself a favor and use a atleast a 180gr Bullet. It's just a waste to use anything less. 180gr Hornady Interlock, 180g Gameking, 180gr Accubond, 180gr TSX/TTSX, or first and foremost the 180gr Nosler Partition.
I agree with that completely.

·
Banned
484 Posts
No black bear is going to walk away laughing after a decent hit with a good deer bullet.

However my choice in all of my hunting rifles is the Nosler partition, because it is accurate, does a LOT of damage because it opens fast and sheds a bit of weight (shrapnel), but it also penetrates very very well. I have taken about 40 head of big game with .270, .308 and .338 Partitions and have recovered only 3 bullets. I put a 200 gr. .30 caliber Partition all the way through a 14 year old Alaskan Brown bear and that bullet may still be going as far as I know.

For your deer and black bear bullet, you can't do better in my opinion than the 165 or 180 gr. Partition...but I am prejudiced.

If you just standardized on the 180 NP, you would be set for everything with one load, and simple is always best.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'd never feel like an Accubond or Partition wouldn't do the job. The Ballistic Tip is fine for deer, but not for Black Bear.

Nosler's E Tip is also a good choice and the 7mm 150 grain has been extremely accurate for me, this bullet has an unlimited velocity potential and is quite a bit cheaper than the Barnes TTSX.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nosler partition in anything 150 and up will work awesome for both. In fact, I believe it is the best option to do both jobs very, very well. Quick enough for deer and the back end passes through bear. I do not believe it could be beat. You give up the super shock on the deer end if you get to stiff. This is why the original hybrid bullet is still a huge player and may still be the best. John Nosler really did come up with a masterpiece, agreed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto. Those ballistic tips I think must be sent from the devil. The first deer I shot with the winchester ballistic silvertip (.270 WSM, 130 grain at about 70 yards) was the last one. It killed it dead alright...it didn't even twitch. But I have NEVER seen so much meat damage on any deer, with any caliber or bullet. I've never tried the Barnes TTSX, but I hear they're good...and the Barnes TSX has ALWAYS been good. Personally, I'd take one of them.

The last deer I shot with a 150gr ballistic silvertip the bullet went clean through the deer leaving the exit hole the same size as the entrance hole. The shot was about 70 yards and I always assumed the bullet was just moving too fast? I was expecting a huge hole. However I did shoot an armadillo the other day from about 10 yards (back through the belly) and it completely blew his internals out of his stomach.

BTW this was from a .300WSM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts