Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted a .35 cal in the collection. Been looking at lists of cartridges, pictures and specs. I am leaning toward a .350 Remington Magnum. More than I need for anything. More than likely will not hunt with it, just shoot it at paper from time to time. More than likely, I will add a barrel in that chambering for my T/C Encore. Ya'll have any favorite .35's?

·
Registered
45 Posts
.358” calibre

Blackhawk -

Howdy !

I whole heartedly recommend .35 Remington.

This cartridge became better known for its inherent accuracy due to many users shooting
It in Metallic Sillhoutte ( IMSA ).

These days, one can have .35 Rem chambering in Contenders, CVA Hunters, Marlin M-336; and even in
2 barrel package H&R Ultra Rifle’s ( Southern State Primitive season ).

A lot of people don’t realize the .35 Rem has a case capacity that Is ideally situated in the powder burn rate range to happily accommodate “bench rest” powders such as: H4198; VV133, LT-32, H322; and the like.

I have a CT-made Marlin M-336 XLR .35 Rem from their last years production. For whatever reason, the rifle escaped the factory w/ a 1.5oz (;yes, ounce ) trigger ! I was elated to have found this particular rifle, buying it when I first heard Marlin was selling-out to Remington.

I wanted the rifle specifically for use in area “score” shoots. ( Factory class ). I have NO intention of using the rifle in the field, to shoot live game.

I have been concentrating on shooting reduced loads in the gun. I right off the bat had set a project goal of finding a consistent load that would shoot 5 shots @ 100yd into an average of 5/8” .
I used a mould and casting resign to form a combo bi-pod mount / barrel & magazine block.
This item locked the barrel to the magazine securely, and allowed me to us my home-made bi-pod.

I afixed a 2X boosted T-36 for my target work.

I have ( at another website ) been eluded to as being a liar, after reporting my son shot the first 5-shot
100yd 5/8” group with the “benchrest” rifle. I was not able to match his performance until the following month. My best 5-shot 100yard group w/ the XLR measured 7/16”; including in it a 3-shot sub group
of 1/4”. I had been shooting surplus Remington .358” 1500PSPs, but unfortunately consumed the 500ct bag, and have not been able to secure any more.

But.... I am now working w/ “Cutting Edge” superb 150gr Extended Range Raptor bullet.
This is a turned-brass hollow point, that has an aerodynamic polymer cap.

I am working up my reduced load(s) for use w/ this bullet slowly, intending to find the most accurate load that also features the most minimal recoil possible. While I already have found a load using H4198 that shoots into a ragged hole @ 50yd, energy is so low.... that the bullet go unstable before reaching
100yd. Heck, the first “Trailboss” load it tried impacted the dirt 35yd in front of the rifle.

My point:
Consider a .35 Remington. I have a CVA Hunter .35 Rem that I have yet to fire.... the Marlin having done so well. But the Marlin’s retirement IS looming, and the CVA is simpler to shoot single shot
( IMHO).

With regards,
357Mag

·
Registered
304 Posts
Go with the 35 Whelen!

35 Whelen punches above its weight, in spite of mediocre SD and BC numbers on paper. I have had excellent results on whitetails, using both factory Speer Super-Performance 200 grain SSTs and hand loaded Speer 250 grain Spitzer boat tails. The 250 grain is my favorite. I have also had good results with 220 grain flat nose projectiles, but they have poor BC and can be hard to find anyway. It is very popular in MS for so-called primitive weapons season, which requires minimum 35 caliber single shot with exposed hammer. I mean, how much more primitive can you get? Right? (The MS regulation requiring an exposed hammer does disqualify the Ruger No. 1, unfortunately.)

One advantage of the 35 Whelen is the availability of 30.06 brass if you want to form your own cases, but 35 Whelen brass is readily available and relatively inexpensive. I would really like to see Winchester offer the 35 Whelen in its 1885 single shot, as it is such a classic, and with the 28" barrel, the achievable velocities are a plus.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
.35 whelen is the most common name I hear in the .35 cal club.

I’m not a member. Just seems like if I were to join, that would be the most common round to go for. Seems to be a solid choice. My neighbors son uses one to hunt hogs off of his ranch in central Texas... I think his is a ruger #1.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How about Winchester's relatively new 350 Legend? It's straight walls and specs look pretty attractive.

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I've got a CVA Hunter, chambered in 35 Remington. Also have a 358 GNR, but that's pretty obscure.

I make 35 Remington cases from 303 British brass, allowing me to safely push the pressure up to ~50,000 psi. I'm driving the 200gr FTX to around 2,350.

You could achieve the same with an Encore barrel in 358 Winchester, and your brass situation would be a lot simpler. For just punching paper, the 357 MAX is an excellent choice in a single-shot action. I don't know if I'd choose the 350 Legend, if you're a handloader, because case length is always going to be critical when a round headspaces on the mouth.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Always wanted a .35 cal in the collection. Been looking at lists of cartridges, pictures and specs. I am leaning toward a .350 Remington Magnum. More than I need for anything. More than likely will not hunt with it, just shoot it at paper from time to time. More than likely, I will add a barrel in that chambering for my T/C Encore. Ya'll have any favorite .35's?

I read your other post in Wildcat section. I shoot 35 WhelenAI and I really didn't look at other 35 cal.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I make 35 Remington cases from 303 British brass, allowing me to safely push the pressure up to ~50,000 psi. I'm driving the 200gr FTX to around 2,350.

you can make 30-40 krag out of 303 british too, although i don't have them. aslo, the 35 krag(35-30/40 krag) would be nice too.

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Yall have put me onto a lot more .35"s than I knew was out there. Should add to this post that when I got the Encore a few years ago, I got it with a .45-70 barrel on it, as I've always had a fascination with this cartridge as well. Found out with the .45-70 that I kind of like that push back into the shoulder as that big projectile goes racing down the barrel. Might be a similar mindset to the guy that likes stomping the gas pedal on a muscle car and feeling that power surging up underneath the hood, or having a real powerful horse under you. So, I really want my .35 to be one of the bigger boys that are out there.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts