Shooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
You love to pick on me dontcha.

The .358 Norma, is it the same as .308 Norma, or .300 Norma Magnum
I don't like to pick on anyone, but I like talking about guns n' stuff.

The newer Norma Magnum offerings are not the same as the older, belted versions. The 308NM and 358NM were sister cartridges, both being shortened and "improved" rounds based on the 300/375 H&H parent, like virtually all "magnum" rounds for many years. The original Norma Mags came out in the late 50's. They were basically factory versions of a whole host of wildcats that were available at the time. Norma helped legitimize their rounds by providing factory ammo and chamber reamers, which went a long way toward establishing them as somewhat of a standard, for a time.

Then the 338 Win Mag came along and stole most of that thunder. What little popularity they retained was completely undermined by the release of the 300 Win Mag in the early 60's.

The newer Norma offerings, being based on the rimless 375 Ruger case, are probably better cartridges, but should not be confused with the older ones.

If you'd prefer I not comment on your threads, I am happy to let someone else come along and set the record straight.
I was just joking around with ya bud. I knew the old .308 Norma was nothing like the new .300 Norma. But I hadn't ever run into the .358 Norma, so I wasn't sure which side of the fence it was on. I just want a .300 PRC case necked up to .338 to take the place of my .338 Win Mag.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The Whelen I don't have any interest in,but you know I love the .308 and its kids. I've been thinking about a compact Hawkeye in .338 Federal. Use it with 160 TTSX and 210 Partitions.
That old Handloader article also had the 338 Fed and IIRC used the 210 Partition but around 2550 fps? I can't remember if it used 160 TTSXs. I like the Whelen, but I agree, great performance out of the 308 based cartridges.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As an aside, cell phones were 40 years in the future when I was killing elk with Dad's M99f in .358 Winchester or I'd have pictures to share. We never thought to take Mom's Brownie Hawkeye.

Now that M99f is no target rifle, but a nice bolt action in .358 Win might surprise you as well as the guys at the next bench. ;)

RJ
Well, Mr. RJ, for what it's worth, I killed my first elk with that same 35 Whelen AI in my attached picture, long before cell phones were invented myself. ;)
And I also have one of those sweet little Savage 99s in .358 Win that you like so much, though I've not killed an elk with it. Mine, like yours, is no target rifle either.

Either one of those will go a long way to satisfying the OP's desire for a 35 bore.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The Whelen I don't have any interest in,but you know I love the .308 and its kids. I've been thinking about a compact Hawkeye in .338 Federal. Use it with 160 TTSX and 210 Partitions.
That old Handloader article also had the 338 Fed and IIRC used the 210 Partition but around 2550 fps? I can't remember if it used 160 TTSXs. I like the Whelen, but I agree, great performance out of the 308 based cartridges.
A light weight .338 Federal would be nice. A carbon fiber wrapped 26"-28" barrel. Carbon fiber stock, and a 1 in 11 twist. It wont shoot 250's, so the 1:10 is not needed. With that light, long barrel, it might give you 2700 with a 225, with no recoil to the speak of. 210 at 2850 or so?

Well, what about a .35 built using the new Weatherby RPM case? Easily built on a .30-06 chassis, and I bet it will out perform a .35 Whelen, .358 Win, or even the 350 Rem Mag and .358 Norm.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nosler data is typically showing pretty good velocity and the 338 Federal is 2,428 fps with a 225 grain bullet and a 24-inch barrel. Not going to get near 2700 even with 30 fps/inch and use a 28-inch barrel.

Nosler shows 2,529 fps with a 210 gr bullet, it won't get near 2,850 with a 210.

338-06 may do it, that long barrel should get pretty close to the velocity numbers if 30 fps/inch is achieved.

But not going to get close with a .308 based round, just don't have the case capacity.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Always wanted a .35 cal in the collection. Been looking at lists of cartridges, pictures and specs. I am leaning toward a .350 Remington Magnum. More than I need for anything. More than likely will not hunt with it, just shoot it at paper from time to time. More than likely, I will add a barrel in that chambering for my T/C Encore. Ya'll have any favorite .35's?
I'm a huge fan of .35s. I've hunted with and killed big game with; .356 Win, .358Win, .350RM and .35 Whelen, I've also used, to bracket the .35s, .338RCM and 9.3x62(3 of these). Of the .35s, I LOVE the .358 as found in the BLR. Lightweight, fast handling and accurate. Mine is sub MOA shooting 225gr Sierras at ~ 2500FPS.

You can buy commercial loads today for the .358 that will match the 200gr Remington load for the .35 Whelen, while shooting a MUCH better bullet (200gr TSX). Unless you reload, ammo can be problematic for the .350RM, and when found, not cheap. The .35W will match it's ballistics at much lesser cost for ammo.

For what's it worth (nothing...lol), I love the .338 RCM with 20" tube paired it with a 9.3x62 for all N.A. large game.

https://www.realguns.com/archives/168.htm

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A good projectile could be the 185 grain TTSX in the 338 Federal. It has a touch better sectional density than my holy grail of bullets for the 35 Whelen AI, the 200 TTSX.

Can't get the velocity from the smaller case capacity 308 based round that the Whelen or AI gets, however it isn't the case that launched it, it's the bullet that does the work. It'll be a solid 300-yard gun even with a more standard length barrel and not going with the 26 inch or 28 inch option.

I can't remember which weight Coni Brooks shoots in her 338 Win Mag. The 160 grain or the 185 grain?

Either way Barnes shows the 160 as a recommended bullet for elk, so the 185 would be fantastic as well. I have never found lighter weight bullets in any given caliber, when shooting the X, to leave anything on the table performance-wise compared to a much heavier traditional style bullet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For what's it worth (nothing...lol), I love the .338 RCM with 20" tube paired it with a 9.3x62 for all N.A. large game.
https://www.realguns.com/archives/168.htm
Post deleted - I missed the term "large" referencing game, when I wrote a few lines about a two-rifle battery for all NA game. But you clearly wrote "all N.A. LARGE game" and I think you're spot on about that.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
172 Posts
338 RCM is one I haven't read much about, going to read up on it a bit.
I have been reading a lot about it lately because I just acquired a nice Commercial FN Mauser 338-06, and though there are a LOT of older data for it, there are not a lot with the newer powders (like the Power Pro 2000-MR that has been amazing me in my 35 Whelen AI, and ought to be a touchdown in the 338-06 too). In cross referencing the loading data between these two cartridges, they are, in many sources, interchangeable. Not 100%, but I have yet to find a cross reference where the listed starting load for the 338 RCM would not be OK in the 338-06 "A-Square" (since they actually SAAMI-ized it). And in some cases, the max load for the 338-06 exceeds the max for the 338 RCM (odd since I think the RCM has a couple grains more capacity).
I have found PP 2000-MR data for the RCM that I think will be applicable to the 338-06. If this investigation bears fruit I will post the findings.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yeah a bit of reading I have done since the last post says it could be a really good round. I won't pursue it because it's just not going to do anything the Whelen AI doesn't.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
35 Remington toppled many big mid-western bucks, a couple moose, and three bears for my Uncle Larry during the 1960's. He hunted in Michigan, Wisconsin, and eastern Canada. This older cartridge does not have the long range lethal performance of the others, but within 150 yards or so it is a genuine keeper!

TR

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Absolutely agree! I'd be happy to hunt with something that didn't have as much ranging as the 35 Whelen AI, but I would pass up shot opportunities.

Dark timber is harder to come by in Colorado because of the massive beetle kill in the elk woods. It's not safe to walk in what is left because the wind picks up and those trees blow down.

Best bet is to know the travel patterns and catch them when they are working through open areas. They may be less than100 yds away or they may be 350 yds away or anywhere in between. The 35 AI is a perfect ticket with the 200 TTSX. Looked at my notes and I've been shooting that bullet since 2012 and have four elk along with two mule deer bucks through last season, 2018.

Heading out tomorrow for the second half of the deer and elk season here in Colorado.

Poor weather for 4 season tent camping (larger amounts of snow in the high country up north vs the past 10 or 15 years) came in over the weekend and through the first days this week. We changed our dates and will hunt the second half of the season. Weather looks to be clearing Wednesday and hopefully the animals are active and we have some good success.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Anyone here own a 358 STA ? one of my dream calibers but correct headstamp brass seems to be unavailable now .
Isn't that the 8mm Rem Mag necked up, like the STW is a 7mm made from the big 8 ?

If I made a .33 cal from it, would that be essentially a .340 Weatherby?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Isn't that the 8mm Rem Mag necked up, like the STW is a 7mm made from the big 8 ?

If I made a .33 cal from it, would that be essentially a .340 Weatherby?
Yeah pretty much , I was going to buy a cz 550 in 375 and rebarrel it but seems like waste and I cant see waiting 8 months to have it rebarreled .

There was a custom rifle company sellings rifles chambered in such a round it was the full length h&h case in 338 but without the 340s double radius shoulder . Cant remember what they called it back then .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Never met a 35 I didn't like. They are a great hunting round if you don't want your quarry to go very far. Most are bang flop. Never had one that wasn't accurate either. About the only one I have never shot is the Norma Magnum. Just never ran into one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 358 Norma Magnum is fantastic Bear and Elk cartridge. Killed better than anything else that I used including the .375 H & H. The old Speer 250 gr. Grand Slam was the hot ticket for me. Also a great deer cartridge but a bit more than is needed. I usually leave the deer to the Whelen.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts