Shooters Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I own two 35's, one is a first year production Remington pump 760 in .35 Remington and the other is a Ruger M77 in .358 Winchester of which my favorite is the .358. I had the same rifle in 350 Remington Magnum but for what ever reason it kicked more that the .358 and I'm only 100 fps slower. I love the 250 grain spitzers at around 2275 fps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My favorite 35 caliber is the 358. It has it's challenges but the cartridge is easily worth working with. Brass has gotten easier to find in the past 5 years even though ammo is still rare in my part of the country. I reload for it so that doesn't bother me. I have fired 357 pistol bullets to sub-caliber groups and the spitzer bullets hold velocity well enough for any range that you might use a similar weight bullet in a 30-06. It is touted as being a short range brush gun but it will do well hunting game out to 300 yards. My Remington 700 has a 24 inch heavy barrel and is hard to beat on the targets out to 300 yards. I don't hunt at that range (self limited to 200 yds) but it shoots well under MOA at that range. (1.25 to 1.5" 5 shot groups)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sir, and Gentlemen.

Big fan of the 35s. A helping measure of game has fallen to this caliber in 358 and 350 Rem Mag (three different rifles0, using the 225 Nosler Partition- which for my money is the greatest hunting bullet ever devised. Four rifles in the safe this minute, Remington 700 classic in 350 and another in 35 Whelen, two each 358s- a BLR, and a Ruger Hawkeye.

My favorite, is the 350 RM. I have said that if there is a fire in the house, I'm getting the wife and kids out, the bible that my grandmother gave me, and my 350- in that order. Every thing else I feel like I can replace. I am hopeful that it finds its way into my son's hands- and I'm further hopeful after he whacks something muscular with that rifle, and afterwards the boy thinks "Dad knew what heck he was doing."

So, why do I like it? It doesn't seem like it would- but it does nearly everything that a rifle should do, and does it well. You would think that it wouldn't manage the 250s well- but they do, as my 350 produces slightly higher velocities with the 250s than its twin 700 Classic 35 Whelen. While the cartridge doesn't have the look of reach- it will shoot with a 165 grain 30-06 at distance with the otherwise excellent 200 grain Hornady Spitzer. With that Hornady bullet is tremendously accurate- routinely half MOA with the right chemistry. It did outshoot my Rem 700ADL 30-06 (using the 165 gr bullets) at 300 yards. When the bullet gets there, it really whacks them, too. I am still shooting a box of 225 Partitions over 4320 that I loaded in 2001. I fired three rounds from that lot to confirm the zero in 2001 and since then every busted cap has been an entry in the game log- one round and downed.

All said, and in all honesty, I don't hunt with mine that much anymore. Some days that are special, I'll take it out- but since it is in semi-heirloom status I don't want to get it banged up. Also keeping a fairly Scrooge like hold on the brass, for reserve and future use. Loading for the 350 things can get sparse. The Ruger 358 (stainless synthetic) is the one that gets banged up- and I have taken the 35 Whelen with its laminated stock out a bunch of times, but that rifle was born under a bad sign- not lucky at all.

Ugly, short- pudgy little guy that nobody likes, and I have no idea why. Figure it has to be- along with the 35 W, one of the most versatile cartridges in the world.

I think if you settle on the 350, you'll be pleased. I'd like to add another one with a synthetic or laminated stock- and if I found one so equipped I am doubtful I'd hunt with anything else at all.

best to you fellows.

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok now for my 2 cents worth you said you were not going to hunt with it.. if not why have the recoil go with something like the 35 remington. i made one up an a arisaka action several years ago. as i am a cast bullet shooter i decided it would be about perfect, and i was correct. now for another advantage lets suppose you dont like the 35 remington well run a 358 winchester reamer and you have a more powerful cartridge and more recoil... then if you dont like that run a 35 whalen reamer and you get more power burn more powder and get more recoil. i could go on to the 358 norma but i think you get the idea. if you like recoil just go big if you like shooting more go for small.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The OP explained very clearly why he likes recoil back in post #9. But since he hasn’t posted on this thread for nine months he probably already decided what he wanted to do.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The .35 project has gotten delayed due to this virus stuff, but I have been thinking lately about getting it going again. Have decided to go with the .350RM, as I found a set of dies at a bargain basement price and also about 150 7MM RM brass also very cheap. I've already formed about 30 .350RM cases out of these and am ready to go. Just need to get the barrel ordered (it is for T/C encore) I am not very recoil sensitive, although I know that there is a day coming where I may be....................... but today is not that day!!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I believe it was Mr. Townsend Whelen himself who said, "A .30-06 is never a mistake", so how could the very same cartridge case with a .35 caliber bullet stuffed into its neck not be even better?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I believe it was Mr. Townsend Whelen himself who said, "A .30-06 is never a mistake", so how could the very same cartridge case with a .35 caliber bullet stuffed into its neck not be even better?
I wonder if Townsend Whelen would say that a larger case sized up to .350 would be even better????

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what I have read of him he didn’t chase velocity as the end all. Accuracy and penetration were what he desired. But I could have interpreted it wrong. More in the Elmer camp than the Jack camp I think.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Finally got the .350 RM barrel ordered. It will be in, in about 4 months. Got about 30 rounds of brass formed from 7MM RM cases. Looking at bullets and powders now. I like the 220 speers and I think I saw a Sierra in 220. Was wanting to know if any uses cast bullets in either .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen or the .350 RM. I like cast for sighting in and practice but know that sometimes cast will not shoot well in certain cartridges. My last project was a barrel in .256 Maximum (basically a rimmed .25TCU) It shoots great with Jacketed in the 85 grain range, but so far really, really terrible with 85 grain cast....................................

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Finally got the .350 RM barrel ordered. It will be in, in about 4 months. Got about 30 rounds of brass formed from 7MM RM cases. Looking at bullets and powders now. I like the 220 speers and I think I saw a Sierra in 220. Was wanting to know if any uses cast bullets in either .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen or the .350 RM. I like cast for sighting in and practice but know that sometimes cast will not shoot well in certain cartridges. My last project was a barrel in .256 Maximum (basically a rimmed .25TCU) It shoots great with Jacketed in the 85 grain range, but so far really, really terrible with 85 grain cast....................................
The 220gr Speers have a great reputation, including from some 350RM shooters (look at Midway reviews for this bullet). As the BC on that FN bullet is equal to that of most of the stubby 200gr PSP, it looks to be a pretty good match at moderate speeds. I bought some a good while back with the idea of loading them in brass I also got a while back for my 350RM, but the rifle & brass went down the road to a Buddy's house a month or so ago. I kept the bullets tho. Sierra makes an excellent 225gr SP that I've used in my 358s and Whelen and a good friend used in his Whelen @ 2700 FPS to kill a big Georgia boar.

Reactions: Blackhawk355

·
Registered
514 Posts
Years ago I loaded for a friend’s .350 Ruger, used the RCBS 200 over 40.0 grains of IMR4064. As I recall the velocity was short of 1900 fps. It shot pretty well, around 2 moa.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts