Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife asked me the other day what I wanted for our 20 th aniv.. Well I been wanting a levergun to go with my little S&W M60 3". I can't make up my mind between the Marlin 1884c and the Win. Trapper. I'm leaning toward the Marlin due to it's simple design I figure if I take it apart to clean I got at least a even chance of getting it back together. Then there's the Puma it"s so hard to make up my mind. The gun will be used mostly for plinking. Since my back injury hunting is pretty much a thing of the past. I would have to find some a place within a hour of KC with a short walk to my stand then shoot the deer on the side of a hill so I could roll him down hill to my truck. Then I could tie a rope to him and drag him to the check station.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Well, Matt, you sure have opened up a can of worms!!

Ok let's try to narrow it down a bit. You've basically got a choice between 3 designs, the Marlin 1894, the Win 1894, and the Win 1892. The Rossi is a copy of the '92. I'm not 100% sure what the 'Trapper' is that you mentioned *BUT* I think that they are based on the Win 1894. Anyway, there are Win 1894s floating around in .357 so it's an option even if the Trapper is based on the '92.

So.... let's discuss one by one. I have Marlins, I like Marlins, so I'm biased. Like you said the Marlin is easy to take down and clean from the breech. Also, they're easy to scope if you so choose, just be sure to check that the receiver is drilled & tapped for both scope and peep sights, I have heard reports that not all the current production are D & T'd. Saves 'em $0.50, I guess.....

Anyway, the big 'issue' with Marlins that you will hear is the Micro-Groove barrels. Well.... don't believe all the negative press. I have two Marlins with M-G barrels, one a .22, the other a .35 Rem, and both will shoot approaching MOA (and the .35 was with cast bullets, full power loads).

If the Marlin is D & T'd for a receiver sight, you can put a Williams peep sight on the gun quite easily.

Ok... Win.... not my strong point but here goes. The '92 is the smaller/lighter of the two (this the Rossi gun). I've heard nothing but good press on the Rossi. Downside, it's a pain to mount a scope, cases eject straight up. '92s are very smooth, strong actions - Rossi has a .454 based on this design.

If the Win is a '94, you may be able to mount a scope (the so-called "Angle-Eject" feature), someone with more knowledge will have to correct me if I'm wrong. It will be larger and heavier than the '92, also plenty strong for the .357 cartridge. Not as smooth action as the '92, so it has been reported by many folks.

I suspect that the Marlin will be in between the Win 92 7 94 as far as weight goes, if barrel length / contour is equivalent.

OK.... well I bet we can stir up quite a conversation on this one.

·
36,225 Posts
Oh and Matt, if you can drag a deer out of the woods, here's how to load it into your truck. You think a deer is a pain to load... try a pig sometime!!!

http://www.hickbuilt.com/gamehoist.html

This guy built me a hoist, it is such a wonderful tool that I took a picture of it with a pig and sent back to him as an endorsement. You could probably have it shipped by truck freight pretty reasonable, since you have a lot of time till deer season.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mattkc - I like the Marlin's myself, easier to scope, clean and just feel smoother than any Winchester I've ever had. Plus there are a number of styles in .357 to choose from.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do I buy this or that? Maybe this is better. Oh, but what about this one?

Marlin vs. Winchester...like Chevy trucks vs. Ford trucks. Personally, I bought the Chevy truck and Marlin 1894C lever-action 38/357. Both are running and shooting fine. They're keepers.

·
36,225 Posts
Marlin (lever guns) - Ford vehicles ('26 "T", '68 Bronco, 96 Explorer, 97 Ranger), Ruger Single actions, Rem shotguns, and for bolt guns, I'm apparently not too picky, got a little of everthing Win/Ruger/Rem/'17 Enfield/95, 96, & 98 Mausers....

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went with the Marlin

Ordered the Marlin from my favorite gun shop for $385. Doesn't seem a bad price but when you see Marlin 30-30s at Walmart for $265 it makes you wonder why you have to pay so much more?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mike G - Is that you with the pig? And you need to suggest that there be some sort of swivel in the middle of the upright, otherwise you have to pull the animal into the truck while you lower - if you are going to be lazy y'know....

FA18CUB - What Marlin are you selling? Don't you have 16" .45 Colt?

I am now seing a Win 94AE Trapper for $350 and a 94 Trapper for $325 = both .45 Colt, hmmm... makes you think.

Are the 94's not usually drilled and tapped from the factory?

The choices keep getting more and more varied!

·
36,225 Posts
Mike,

Yup, that's me with the pig. The guy making the hosts can now do them so the swivel in the middle. However, in my opinion, it's not entirely necessary. If all you are doing is loading the critter, just move the arm 180 degrees so it's over the bed. Then winch the critter up, swing into bed, and hit release. It's square tubing so you can position it every 90 degrees, make sense?

Actually, before I thought of that, I just pulled the pig up in the air, grabbed on ear, hit the release on the winch, and walked along side the truck. Laid it in the bed as neatly as can be.

Either way it's a pretty slick setup.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not sure if this is braking the forum rules but, it is a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. It has the Ashley Ghost Ring site and the Ashley Scout scope base with a Lpd. 2.5x Scout Scope(German #1 reticle) I am thinking of keeping the scope.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you are braking the rules, then the fault is mine, I should have contacted you in e-mail. I was just wondering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts