Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the plunge into bullet casting, I want to cast bullets for a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I want a 245/250 grain Keith type bullet with a plain base, which mold would you recommend? Would I be better served with a double cavity vs. a four cavity mold for consistancy and accuracy? I already own a 4500 lube/sizer, a melting pot and an ingot mold. I have Lyman double cavity mold handles, I'm set up with a mold, sizing die and top punch for my 45-70, so the Lyman molds would probably make sense but I'm not opposed to buying other manufacturers molds and handles so I am open to suggestions from experienced bullet casters.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Either Lyman's 429421 or the RCBS Keith molds (2 cavity) are what you want. Either will work with those mold handles. For faster production, get two molds and alternate between the two. Or cast with the 45/70 molds along with the 44's. When I cast, I do so with at least 4 different molds, this method keeps the molds from overheating for a longer period of time. You might cast quicker with a 4 cavity mold, but the mold will overheat sooner than 2 doubles.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I'm partial to the Redding/Saeco molds. They are more expensive than either Lyman or RCBS molds but Saeco molds are built for lengthy casting sessions and do not rapidly overheat. Just look at the Saeco sprue plate, it's about twice as thick as other brands and the rest of the mold is made with the same quality. Having said that, Lyman and RCBS molds have a strong following should you wish to opt for a less expensive mold. Since you are starting out in bullet casting, suggest your first mold be double cavity. Double cavity molds offer greater control while casting and provide a good supply of bullets for the time expended. When you can cast really good bullets with the double cavity, branch out to the four cavity. Anything bigger IMO, tends to get tiresome quickly unless you have arms like Popeye. Just my dos centavos, other opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i have 6 lymans and i cant say anything bad about them lee is ok that is the only two brands i can make a educated comment on

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I too suggest a Lyman 429421. As a matter of fact, I just finished casting about 100 in my single cavity 429421, and I'd really suggest a 2 cavity mold...:p

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,176 Posts
429421. I can see a pattern here.

I've been casting 429421's for 40+ years. First ones were with Dad for his 44 special, now for my Redhawk. (same mould by the way)

If you have a 357/38 I'd recommend Lyman's 357421.

RJ

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the Lyman 421 for my S&W, however it is just a mite too long for my ruger bolt rifle magazine. Looking for a mold that brings the cartridge closer to the max oal for the cartridge. Ly man has one for "cowboy shooting " I think. Anyone has any data on this mold?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If the 429421 is too long, then Lyman's 240gr FN (429667)mold is as well. Both have the cannelure the same distance below the end on the bulllet nose. I have the same problem feeding from the magazines of my 92 when these are loaded in 44 mag brass.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,176 Posts
The 429421 can be seated to the top of the first driving band. That's how it was intended to be loaded by Elmer (ptooey) in the 44 special as S&W's cylinders were rather short back in the day.

Still might not feed that well in a bolt or lever gun though. Others might have a hands on experience?

RJ

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I sure learned a lot in this thread. I have to start casting one day. For now, I am making another order with Marshall. A question for those that have responded in this thread and use the Lyman 421. What diameter bullet does your mold drop before sizing, if you do?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The 429421 can be seated to the top of the first driving band.

RJ
If loading for a rifle, the only problem is, the bullet will get pushed back into the case when loaded in the magazine seated that way. Unless you're working with a case full of powder that's heavily compressed. With a revolver (super blackhawk)it's fine crimped into the cannelure.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I sure learned a lot in this thread. I have to start casting one day. For now, I am making another order with Marshall. A question for those that have responded in this thread and use the Lyman 421. What diameter bullet does your mold drop before sizing, if you do?
Lyman's 429421 was a bust for me for this very reason... With my wheelweight alloy, mine barely dropped .430", probably closer to .4295" ...I need a mold that drops .431" ~ .432" I've heard that RCBS' 250gr Keith mold drops a fatter bullet and plan to try that mold next.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You will not find a better mold than the Veral Smith's Lead Bullets Technology. In addition to the revolutionary LBT style molds he make authentic Keith style bullets to exact tolerances
"44 240 gr. - 45 310 - 45 250 gr are available. These are exact copies of Elmer's specs. Specify desired diameter and, if desired, gc, through that will leave only the nose authentic, but performance better than Elmer experienced. If you want a 45 bullet that looks like the original 44 Keith, ask and you shall receive. Weight will be about 270 gr. All length dimensions and lube groove will be identical to the original 44."
http://www.lbtmoulds.com/moulds.shtml

·
Registered
53 Posts
If the 429421 is too long, then Lyman's 240gr FN (429667)mold is as well. Both have the cannelure the same distance below the end on the bulllet nose. I have the same problem feeding from the magazines of my 92 when these are loaded in 44 mag brass.
Thanks guy, have too check a bit further

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are a lot of really great 44 molds but I really like the Lyman's 429421. I have used it in several 44 mags and one 44 spl. It is a winner IMO.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My old Lyman single cavity 429421 mold casts bullets at .430" with Lyman #2 clone. Lubed up they all weigh in between 248 and 249 grains.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts