Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this fourm. I have been reading all the posts on the 444 Marlin. I am looking at the new 2001 Marlin catalog and just love the Model 444 and the 444P. I want them both but can only get one. I like the 22 innh barrel of the Model444. I have never shot a ported rifle and have been told that they make a loud bang. Has this been a problem with any of you that have hunted with ported model rifles?  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Yes, in my limited field experience with ported arms there is quite a bit of added muzzle blast and noise. One of the few gun writers I admire, Ross Seyfried, feels the same and will no longer guide hunters using such weapons.

Now does that mean the 444P is a passer? Certainly not! You'd have to offer me something pretty special to get mine. The handiness of the short overall length is something that can't be appreciated until one is in the field. I personally prefer the straight-grip stock as well.

I would say hit the gun shops in your area and try to handle both styles. They don't have to be 444's either. A .450 Guide Gun feels the same as a 444P, as does a .45-70 1895 to a Triple Four. Whichever feels better in your hands, buy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill
That is interesting about Ross Seyfried. I didn't know that. I also like Ross. You are right . I think that I will have to go to Portland ; to a Gun Show and try them out. I have a hearing loss in my right ear and know that it is from my youth when I didn't use ear protection. THis is a great fourm. Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Big Buck,

I'm somewhat of a .444 junkie.   Been hunting with one for nearly 20 years now.   I have an old 444S with the 22" tube that has put more game in the freezer than all my other firearms combined!   I shoot that gun very well, and it has always been the one I grab late in the season when I'm serious about hanging my tag on a piece of meat!  It's simply a great rifle.

Now,... page two!

Last fall I traded into a NIB .444P Outfitter.  That little gun is about the handiest and most intuitive pointing long-gun I own.   It accounted for three filled tags last year, not just in my hands.  The velocity loss from the short ported barrel only amounts to about 80 fps.   I can live with that trade off for the portability and joy of carrying in the field.   The porting doesn't seem to make much difference to me, the shooter, but is obnoxious to bystanders.   I'm a loner in the woods, so it doesn't bother me.   It would make a big difference however when hunting from the saddle.   I doubt that I will fire the .444P from the back of my mule for deference to his hearing!  Still, it's an awesome saddle gun.

The short of it is this, the old .444S will get awfully lonely in the years to come.   I wouldn't miss it if it dissappeared.

My opinion from a .444 junkie!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
47 Posts
Marshall, how can you say that about one of your own children??

I may have to call social services and have that gun put into the hands of someone who will love it and care for it, stroke it's lever and oil it's nice blue barrel.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Chris,

I would miss it if it disappeared!   It has a ton of memories wrapped around it!   Although it might not see use like it once did, it won't be going anywhere... I have a young son who thinks that's a pretty special gun!  There are memories for him too with that gun and I.  

I do surely like the Outfitter however, especially with a certain set of Ashley sights that an awesome bunch of gentlemen on this forum went together to buy for me!  Many thanks.

It's just hard to describe the total utilitarian value of this little package, especially with those sights.   I'll bet its blue job gets silvery edges in no time from my carrying it!   That's what they are for, and what happens when you use them!

Good to hear from you Chris!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have just purchased a 444P and I simply love it. It is a sweet shooting gun. Personally if I'm gonna shoot alot I use hearing protection. One shoot off my stand is not gonna maime me for life. I just don't want a gun that gonna knock me out of the stand or staple me to the back of the tree. Down here in La. your only gonna get one shot and I can live with one loud shot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I broke-in my new marlin .444p today. Fired 125 rounds through it. Loads from 17 grs. of unique to 60 grs. of H335. Bullets were my cast 250 sce gascheck and remington 240 scalloped jacket sp's. Nothing broke, came off or got loose. Returning home barrel had NO lead in it. I bought this rifle for plinking and playing.

Last year I bought a winchester timber carbine in .444. After 450 rounds it started to self destruct. THe stock cracked on both sides at the wrist. The forend slid forward 1/8". The dovetail for the magazine came loose under the barrel and it started snapping on live ammo. I sent it back to winchester and they sent me a new rifle. I scoped it and killed 2 deer with it last season. I'm going to "kinda" baby the winchester and keep it for deer hunting(its scoped) and use the marlin for plink and play. Hope it holds up. Probably will put 1000 rounds through it this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought an Outfitter and I love it. I wanted the longer barreled 444SS but the local shop didn't have one and showed my the Outfitter. I like the short barrel and the porting isn't as loud as I thought it would be. I'm glad they were out of the 444SS. So far I've only shot a couple boxes of factory ammo through it but it's gonna be what I carry in the woods this fall.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
WV Shooter,

Any chance you hunt the Panhandle? I'm often just over the border in Washington County, PA. If I hear a big boom in the distance, should I assume it's you collecting the winter meat? :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own the 444SS, and I have to say, it is by far my most favorite gun to shoot.  Out of my '06, 300WM, .243,etc...I will have to go with my .444 whether it's plinking or hunting for the mighty Wapiti.  I can drive nails with this thing!!!!!!  It is the best shooting gun I own.  Now, I just have to wait and see how she likes Mr. Stanton's Pet load w/ his 330 LFNGC....

To be contd......

God Bless all
Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts