Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt. I've been using Hornady 300gr XTP's for hunting with full power loads. For more mild loads I use a Lyman 452664 (250gr FN) that I drop out of a 4-cavity mould. What I would like to know is, which heavy 45 bullet is best for hunting and the Ruger cylinder length (6 shot)? I'm up in the air on the gas checks because I don't believe they are necessary at the velocities that will be attained with this revolver. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, because I would like to purchase only one LBT syle mould for this revolver.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
I am partial to the 300gr. and 335gr. WFN.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I'll echo J Miller;
BTB's 265's are super accurate!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the Keith type bullets. Nice shooting M141a, what load are you using there? I don't really care for the Lyman mould I'm currently using because it is a bevel base, which I was unware of when I ordered it from Midway. I'm looking for the maximum power and penetration I can get out of the gun. Sledgehammer, something along the lines of what MikeG is talking about. I need to know which bullet will give me 300 or more grains while maximizing the powder capacity in the Bisley/Blackhawk cylinder length. The XTP's work well for deer, but I'm possibly going elk hunting next year and black bear for sure. I'm going to leave the rifle at home for the bear hunt and I want an exit hole,no matter the angle. I know the revolver can produce the steam, I just need a good projectile that will give good/excellent wound channel with maximum penetration.

·
36,230 Posts
Hick, either the 300 or 335 should give a pretty good wound channel, measured in feet not inches! I guess the edge would probably go to the 335 but that's more of a guess than fact.

I can tell you, I put a 335 through a hog end-to-end once. That's penetration! And MV wasn't all that high, probably between 1,000 and 1,100fps. Marshall has very few reports of customers recovering any of his LBT-style bullets.

My thought is, use whichever one gives the best loads. In my case I get a lot better ballistic uniformity with the 335s, probably due to the slow lot of WW296 that I am using. Bigger bullet = a bit less powder and also more resistance before the bullet gets moving, should be more uniform ignition, at least that's what I've experienced. Trajectory on any of the big 300 grainers is going to be similar, no matter the nose profile.

Sometimes the heavies will cause you to run out of front sight. Can't shoot them in my 1976 Blackhawk, no problem with the 1990s production Bisley though.

If you want to really ensure best possible penetration, look to the LFN nose. The meplat isn't much less, should still have a good wound channel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike G,

Thanks for the info. I'll never run out of front sight on my Bisley. I had a tall post installed when I had the cylinder throats done and a Colt style bushing installed to go with the oversize base pin. I bought the gun used and the guy had an electroless nickle finish put on it, only problem was the ****off had the front sight nickled as well. Some peoples kids. Anyway that front post and the cylinder mods made the gun shoot groups half the size at 50 than was previously possible, with good confidence to 100yds with a good rest. I'll get the 335 or something similar from the new mould maker being discussed in the bullet casting forum. When I get my mould and cast some slugs,I'll be pestering you for load data. I think the WFN will provide adequate penetration.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
That load was 8.0 grains of Hodgdon's Universal Clays. I used a CCI large magnum primer just to deliver a hotter spark. It was roll crimped and loaded to 1.60" exactly! That load will group like that in the Blackhawk also.

·
36,230 Posts
I'd just file the face of the front sight, enough to get the nickel off, then cold-blue it. Maybe checker it a bit to cut down on glare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts