Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been thinking about getting a .45 and was wondering if anybody could help me

also, i've shot a friends xd and was wondering if anybody could tell me the difference between that and the xdm

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm not telling you you have to have a 1911, but you should at least shoot one a little before making your decision. I won;t ever be without one (or three...) ever again.

As far as the XD is concerned, unless something has changed, the XDm is not available in .45. The m had some different grip patterns and maybe a higher capacity by one round, but again, is only available in 9mm and .40, I believe.

If you want a polymer (plastic) gun, make sure you also check out the S&W M&P series, I like them a lot.

Outside of all of that, got to a shop and fondle some guns, see what feels right for you as far as grip, balance etc...

Is this your first handgun?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Glock 21SF.

i just picked up one....shoots great.

Can you be more specific about which type of 45 you'd be interested in?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm not telling you you have to have a 1911, but you should at least shoot one a little before making your decision. I won;t ever be without one (or three...) ever again.

As far as the XD is concerned, unless something has changed, the XDm is not available in .45. The m had some different grip patterns and maybe a higher capacity by one round, but again, is only available in 9mm and .40, I believe.

If you want a polymer (plastic) gun, make sure you also check out the S&W M&P series, I like them a lot.

Outside of all of that, got to a shop and fondle some guns, see what feels right for you as far as grip, balance etc...

Is this your first handgun?
XDM is now in 45. But I agree with you, I won't be without a 1911. I have two. An old Springfield that I have shot thousands of rounds through and my carry gun a DW CBOB. Love them both.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes you have to have a 1911.So many reasons mainly easy and relitively cheap and easy to trick out to suite your needs

·
Banned
397 Posts
I bought a 1911 S&W stainless target. I'm very happy with it.
All I had to do was get the trigger worked a little bit. It shoots
great.

Zeke

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a Springfield stainless, 5", 1911 and it is more accurate than my .357 S&W 686. I don't know why, but that 1911 just flat out-shoots my 686, and it conceals better than my 686.

Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gota get a 1911. I got this Springfield mil spec a couple years ago. There made real good and I wanted to make it a shooter. It's been a lot of fun and I still have more to do to it. I must say it's a real good shooter now.. Have fun with whatever one you go with..
URL=http://img191.imageshack.us/i/b4andafter.jpg/]
[/URL]

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
there are a lot, (make that a HEAP ) of people on this planet that went thru a couple wars, and after having been in combat, believe that the 1911 pattern single-action auto is the finest combat handgun ever made. I too subscribe to this idea. the gun manufacturers have come up with all kinds of other guns, but if I had to go into combat this minute, I would want a 1911 auto on my hip, and preferably, two of them.....the only way you can beat a 1911 in your hand, is to have one in EACH hand...........just my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help guys i think ill go check out the 1911, although i will still think about the xd it just automatically lines up great

AVIVIII ive been shooting a beretta 9mm and decided to move up to a big boy gun =)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have the 1911 model in COLT, Springfield and Kimber! They are all excellent pistols. However I do not carry any of them for self-defense anymore do to arthritis in the hands. My thumbs will not let me move the safey.

I do however carry the GLOCK model 21-SF and it does a great job. I hate plastic with a passion but this Glock has been tested to Hail and Back!!! It has 14 rounds in the gun for starters (13 in mag & 1 chambered) It is very accurate for my needs at 20yds. I also carry the Glock model 20 and the model 29 which is a sub-compact 10mm cal.

You just make sure that pistol fits your hand like an expensive leather glove before you lay your money down on the counter. If it does NOT then move on to something that does and you will shoot it a lot more accurately.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
CLazyR,
I like my Spinger XD45 though not the M. The M also is reported to have a match grade barrel I believe. I carry my XD45 when I am wearing a shirt over my T because of the greater magazine capacity. I carried my Colt Government Model for many years before I lost the over-shirts and went to T's and jeans. Like a lot of these guys I switched to a snub nose Cobra in 38 on the ankle, not the pocket. I believe you would be happy with the Springer 45 but as others have stated you've got to have a couple of 1911's. As suggested try as many as you can then buy what fits and shoots well in your hands, both of them. You never know which hand you might have to shoot with.
Welcome to the Forum!
Greg

·
Registered
978 Posts
One thing about 1911s, as a beginner in my case, it is hard to get your hand accidentally behind/above the slide.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have carried a 1911 in the form of a Colt Commander for 30+ years. I have a great number of 1911 platforms... and one plastic gun - a KelTec P3AT. I have never felt under-gunned or handicapped in doing so.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'll chime in favoring a 1911 pistol like so many others. There's good reason this is the favorite of so many people 100 years later with so many manufacturers they a difficult to name. There are also so many oppinions as to which is best and which to buy. I was a dealer for over 25 years. My best advice... go with a 1911. Buy the best you can afford. If it's low end ask the dealer what he will do if it doesn't work properly. (I always swapped it out for another gun if it didn't work.) Try out a used gun before you buy it if possible. Dealers who have a range should be perfectly happy to let you do this. Here are my recommendations in 4 different price ranges sarting with the lowest. Auto Ordinance, Springfield, Kimber, STI.

P.S. My recommendations on manufacturer are based on experience with customer service and warranty as a dealer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Another vote here for the 1911 platform. There are lots of good ones out there, Kimber, Springfield, Sig, Para Ord., Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, STI, and the list goes on. Shop around and handle a bunch of them. Shoot a few if you can and picked the brand and size that fits you best. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts