Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about another Encore Barrel and I want to play with a) a wildcat, improved, or proprietary and  b)a 6.5 mm (260)  caliber. So what are your suggestions? Keep in mind I would at least like dies to be available, and some data from source. I don't mind expirimenting but I would like to start on solid ground. Thanks, Sean

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Sean,

You might consider having a talk or e-mail with one Mike Bellm. He's a good guy and will give you some great insight on your pet project and a T/C 'smith's perspective.

http://members.tripod.com/bellmtcs/index.htm

Regards,

:cool:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would first check out SSK's line of proprietary rounds.  A friend of mine got a Contender barrel in 6.5 JDJ and he loves it.  I believe they make the Encore in a hotter 6.5mm round based on the '06 cartridge.  If it's half as good as their Contender rounds it will be worth a look.  JD also sells dies (quite reasonably priced) and provides reloading data for his rounds.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Lone Eagle....One of the best 6.5 rounds I ever shot was the wildcat Parker Ackley put together after World War II. Lots of GI's were bringing back 6.5 Jap rifles and wanted to shoot them. Parker took a .257 Roberts reamer and added a 6.5 pilot and the 6.5/.257 Roberts was born. The case capacity is about perfect for IMR 4064. Reamers are available from J.G.S. @ Coos Bay. Loading date is available in Parker's book. It should be noted that what has made the 6.5 famous in the past is its ability to stabilize long heavy bullets...ex. is the 6.5 Swedish vs the new .260 Rem. On a custom barrel you should ask for a 1 in 9 twist. This will let you shoot the great 160 gr. bullets! The other 6.5 that is interesting, since we have the very slow burn powders, is the 6.5-06. However, a long barrel is needed to burn that slow powder or there is no real gain. Both wildcats use brass that is easy to get.
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 8:40 pm on June 10, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Great info James!

By the way, Mike Bellm was PO Ackley's son in law. He worked under Ackley's tutelage and now has all his reamers and tooling for all the Ackley cartridges and the like. I think over few hundred of them.

Regards,

:cool:

(Edited by Contender at 7:33 pm on June 10, 2001)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts