Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering one of the new Browning lightweight lever action rifles for elk, deer and black bear. I like the ballistics of the 300 WSM (short action, 22" barrel, 6.75 lbs) but for 250 yards and under the 308 (short action, 20" barrel, 6.50 lbs) will probably kill 'um just as dead. Then there are the 270 and 7mm WSM and the 358 Winchester.

Which one would you choose?

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd get the .358 Winchester. That way you could make use of the heavier 225-250 grain bullets when hunting elk and bear.
:)

·
Super Moderator
9,489 Posts
Count me as a fan of the .358, but I don't shoot all that far away (and if I were to shoot long distance, not too sure I'd pick a light weight lever gun as a platform). Just seems to me that a light weight lever rifle (it may be modern, but there is still a lever sticking out the bottom) is designed for fast shot field shooting.

Can I have one in .450?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a BLR in 7mmRem Mag. It shoots like a charm to the distances I am comfortable with. Also have it in 22-250 for the wee creatures. Like ribbonstone, I cant wait to get my hands on a 450!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BLR '81 LIGHTWEIGHT

Thanks for the input. My local dealer located one in .358. It will be here Wednesday 25 JUN 03.

·
Super Moderator
9,489 Posts
Hunted with a guy (Southern Texas) that would insist on taking his Browning Lever in 22-250 deer hunting....I don't recommend .22 centerfires for deer, but the deer are small, he never shot past 125 yards that I ever witnessed, and he stuck with 70gr. Speer's....it worked for him, but I suspect it was (1) he was use the the rifle and could handle it very well (2) was selective bout his shots (3) the brwoning lever hadles well in cover.

Your .358 should have all the atributes of his little 22/250 and none of the drawbacks. No real reason to cast bullets for lite plinking loads when the price of bulk .358" pistol bullets is decnetly low.

·
Super Moderator
9,489 Posts
Hunted with a guy (Southern Texas) that would insist on taking his Browning Lever in 22-250 deer hunting....I don't recommend .22 centerfires for deer, but the deer are small, he never shot past 125 yards that I ever witnessed, and he stuck with 70gr. Speer's....it worked for him, but I suspect it was (1) he was use the the rifle and could handle it very well (2) was selective bout his shots (3) the brwoning lever hadles well in cover.

Your .358 should have all the atributes of his little 22/250 and none of the drawbacks. No real reason to cast bullets for lite plinking loads when the price of bulk .358" pistol bullets is decnetly low (and if you've a urge to plink a few 'yotes that's fine by us).

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Nitro - give us a field report after you have tested your BLR .358. I would really like to know how they shoot and how they feel. I have a BLR in .308 and have taken several elk, a moose, and numerous deer and antelope with it. Would love to try the .358.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
We had an older model 81 in 308 that we had problems with . It was every fussy on ammo where you needed to site in with every box , type, load etc you used. Then you need a small base die for reloads. We finally traded.
I bought a sako to replace it.
Browning at that time had gone away from the straight grip.
I have read over time about the 358 W round that never really caught on . Had I had the info before, and had browning offered the straight griped lever in this round, I would like you ordered one .It should do everything that the 308 would do with the 35 cal. bullet.
For the reloader there is a wide range of bullets in 35 , including the RCBS 200 gr GG for plinking.
I have bought two Marlins , one in 45/70 and another in 35 rem. to do all the things the browning 81 in 358 would do.

Hope to hear how well your new browning shoots ,.

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Browninig in 358 Win

Hi Nitro!

I have a Win 94 BB in 356 Win., the rimmed version of the 358. It is one of the best guns I have ever owned. You will be able to get a few more fps and ft-lb out of the 358 than I can get from the 356. If you decide to shoot some 'yotes with it, check out Speers' reloading manual for the loads using 158 gr pistol bullets. They work pretty good on smaller animals. I load mine with 180 gr bullets for deer and 220 gr for bear. You will have a bigger selection to work with. I can only load those two because they are the only JFP bullets available in .358 dia. for use in a tube mag.

Good luck and good shooting!!!

Dave S

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's here.

The BLR .358 arrived at the gun shop yesterday and I picked it up today. As soon as the bases and rings come in I will mount a scope and head for the range. Meanwhile, I will be loading some Hornady 200 grain spire points and 225 grain Nosler Partitions and Ballistic Tips with healthy doses of H335, IMR3031 and AA2520. Does anyone have any pet loads?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts