Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a strong action 45 LC in a 20" or longer barrel. I have heard both good and bad about Rossi and Win loading/chambering . A Marlin 1894 CB is pricey.
I am leaning towards the Win 94 .
Does anyone have experience with it using 300 gr casts or jacketed HP?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a Win 94 "trails end" in 45 Colt.  It's a 20" barrel, and shoots pretty good.  I would prefer a legacy model, as it has a pistol grip, rather then the straight grip of mine.

Anyway, I've installed AO ghost ring sights on it, and a Pachmyer prefit decelerator.  I've only shot 250 and 300 grain cast bullets (laser cast) thru it.  I've loaded up to 22.5 gr WW296 under the 300 grain, it chronos at 1564 fps, I imagine you can get more if you want.  7.0 gr of reddot and a 250 LSWC average 1080 fps, and are a nice plinker.  I've got more loads yet to chrono.

It's a hoot to shoot - I am going to try for a mule deer buck this fall with the 300 gr load.

HTH, Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tom thank you. I am leaning strongly towards the Legacy myself.
I bought, early on in my 45 LC owning days, a couple hundred 300 gr Hornady HP XTP to reload. since then I've settled on a cast Keith 265 gr for my Blk Hwk and I load that 26 gr H110 . have killed a bunch of critters with that Blk Hwk and that load, Including deer,hogs,bkl bear. all 1 shot kills under 50 yds and most with no trailing job needed.
I cannot imagine what critter I would need to use any heavier load on from a rifle, with it's longer barrel.That I will hunt. and if need be I can always breakout the 45-70

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 45 Colt Win 94 Legacy with 24" barrel.  Loaded with 325 gr fngc and 20.0 gr H110 I get 1400 fps.  The book says it can go to 23.0 gr  which would be a real thumper.  

The bore was rough when received but has polished up with hand lapping and use.  The rifle is a hoot to shoot and nicely accurate.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Win 94.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ordered the Win 94 Legacy. I think the $$ were fair . I paid $369.00.I should have it in a week or less. I had seen one on Guns America used for $325. while there I saw a Marlin CB Limited in 45 Colt with it's straight stock and Oct. Barrrel she sure looked sweet. But well over $500.
Well anyway "MY" Win is ordered .
Do you guys think it would be wise to run a couple hundred jacketed down the barrel before trying casts?
And can I load those .452 casts I  use in my Blk Hwk (.452  265 gr Keiths) when the time comes?
thanks again

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I've got the 16" Trapper in .45colt.   Shoots real well and handles like a .22.   The 20" is what I went shopping for, and came home with the 16"...Have taken 3 deer in VT. with 325gr. bullets.[pics avail]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I slugged my Trails End when I got it - measures at .451", so if yours is close, your .452" bullets should be fine.  That's what I am using for sizing in my two bisleys and the Win 94.  The bisleys throats were reamed to .4526", and slug about .451".

You should be good to go.

Tom

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Morning guys.
I purchased the Rossi 92 in 45 Colt last summer. I ran a bunch of the lapping loads thru the barrel and began to search for the load. I had a delightful Saeco 300 grain GC'd SWC on hand, for casting bullets for my buddy's .454.
I've found that 20 grains of H110 with this bullet sized .454 will put all the bullets in the same place in both my 92 and my Anaconda.
It's a pure delight to go out to the range and plink away a 50 and 100 yards with both the rifle and Anaconda. When the barrel on one gets hot set it down and shoot the other.
Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Win. Legacy in 45 Colt and seems to be a strong well built rifle. Had a 4x Nikon on it for load testing and my most accurate load to date is the 300 gr XTP and 20 gr of 2400. This is a hot load so back off to 17.0 and work up slow. This load in my rifle groups about 1 1/2" at 100 yds. and one day i shot 8 rounds under 4" at 200 yds.

I just bought some 265gr wfngc and put AO Sites front and rear and need to site it in.

oldpete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm sitting here looking at my new Legacy, she's a beauty ,though the butt stock to reciever fit isn't the finest work I've ever seen. Spoiled as I am by old 94 smooth actions this one is stiff. Hopefully after a few hundred rounds she'll get slicker.
Much as I distain scopes on a lever gun the fact remains if I wish to shoot it I need one. Darn tri focals. No matter how I try to hold my head the front sight is just a blurr. I have a Weaver K2.5 I'll mount on it.
Now I have a 357 Trapper,a 44 trails end ,and this Legacy in 45 colt. Needed this one like a hold in the head. But any true gunner knows sometimes a guy just got to have another gun.
My old woman couldn't tell a 22 from a 12 ga...but she always says she can count!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just in from shooting the Legacy for the first time...she did very well with consideration too the fact I was just shooting loads for my 45 colt  Black Hawk 16.0 gr of 2400 under a fn 255. I have no idea what the fps out of a 24" barrel is and if anyone knows I'd like to.
After bore sighting a 2.5 power scope then shooting a 3 shot group I easily moved the crosshairs to 1" high at 50 yds. And proceeded to fire 15 rounds that could have been covered with a fifty cent piece.
If she shoots a 300 gr bullet with about 23 gr of H110 that well, I'll be more than pleased. That load will kill anything I'm going to hunt with it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hope you like that rifle! I just ordered the new Win 1892 Short Rifle from Davidsons. (It is the jap. model) It was pricey but I have three of thier other guns and they are nicely done. I can't wait to shoot it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts