Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to this forum but I've got a question that I can't find much information on. I live in Ohio, and in our gun season we are limited to using straight wall rifles to hunt deer. A little while ago I got a Marlin 1895 with a 22" barrel. My current load is 46 gr. of IMR 4198 and a 300 grain hornady interlock. It's a very potent cartridge at close range but I can't get any accuracy out of it at 200 yards which is the farthest shots that I have for deer. So I was thinking of switching it up and using either the beartooth 405 gr or the 425 to try for better accuracy. Which bullet or load in general do you think would be the best for my goal of accurate 200 yard shots.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Welcome to the forum! While I like your efforts to find a good load for the 45-70 and 200 yd shots, youd be wise to try the Hornady 325gr offering, designed for the rifle.

I've owned 3 rifles chambered in 45-70 and the best accuracy I found in it was the 325gr. My 1895G recently gave me two consecutive 3 shot groups of 3/4" and then 3/8".

What more do you want?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I've posted on here several times that with all my different 45-70 rifles I've had the most accurate loads with the heavier bullets. The Rem 405g JSP with several different powders will produce some very outstanding groups at 100 yds with repeatability. My preferred powders are either 4198 and Rel7. Several others work well also. The problem with shooting a 45-70 beyond 125yds or so is knowing the exact yardage. This caliber is like lobbing a mortar at the target at distances beyond that approx. 125yd distance. The further out you go, the more it arcs. I'd suggest two things if you're going to hunt with this caliber. First, get a range finder. Second, if you're hunting from some type of stand or sitting in the same spot, range some objects for reference before you see a deer. FWIW, I've never gotten very good accuracy with lighter bullets in this caliber. I've also never recovered a bullet from any of the deer I shot even when shooting bullets at very moderate velocities. It's a great deer cartridge, it's just not a flat shooting cartridge. Use if for what it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the input. Just gotta get something and work with it. Not too concerned about how flat it shoot as I always carry a rangefinder and mostly hunt from a stand. Just trying to cover some bigger fields a little better.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thank you very much for the input. Just gotta get something and work with it. Not too concerned about how flat it shoot as I always carry a rangefinder and mostly hunt from a stand. Just trying to cover some bigger fields a little better.
Of course a rangefinder is no good unless the exact bullet drop acceleration (4 inches more for every 100th of a second than it was each previous 100th of a second) for every five yards of distance after mid range trajectory for that heavy bullet must be known by heart. In fact I would rather stalk to closer or pass up the shot as wind deflection will always be an unknown, and wounding risk is high with a possible stomach shot.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Rancher, not so bad as I thought it would be: with the Buffalo Bore 405 gr ammunition sighted 3" high at 100 yards you will be on aiming point at 160 yards and not more than 5" low at 200 yards. I would do it. After that the drop should about double itself every 50 yards.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You really need to take your gun and bullets to a range and put them on paper. Up to 200yds...with known distances to target....you can place the bullet right where you want. Beyond that distance it becomes more of a problem. This "mortar" of a round is slow and drops like a rock past 200yds. An animal you could be shooting at beyond that distance can move after/as you pull the trigger and the hit will be somewhere else. It could even be a miss depending on what the deer is doing or getting ready to do. These are things you learn from using these old calibers. For a relaxed deer that's feeding it probably won't be a problem. For one that's been kicked out of somewhere and is moving to, or heading for cover, it's a different ball game. Just some things to think about.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,402 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well this is an issue I am dealing with too.Luckily I can shoot at home and just starting to try some combinations.The Hornady 325 gr ftx's shoot well enough but I surely do not like trimming the brass so short for the crimp required.I keep brass separate for this particular bullet for this reason.From what I read it could fracture to...but I am just beginning .I will happily share data with you.The fun is just starting

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
There are now dies available for the shortened Hornady 45-70 brass. The problem is that you need to keep it separate from the regular stuff. Nominclature is confusing enough without calling two different pieces of brass the same thing. Hornady should have called it 45-70H or something. Anyway, if you like it and reload just get the "new" dies for it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Welcome to the forum! While I like your efforts to find a good load for the 45-70 and 200 yd shots, youd be wise to try the Hornady 325gr offering, designed for the rifle.

I've owned 3 rifles chambered in 45-70 and the best accuracy I found in it was the 325gr. My 1895G recently gave me two consecutive 3 shot groups of 3/4" and then 3/8".

What more do you want?

+ 1, for 200 yards.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
45-70 bullets

The first thing I liked about my new marlin 1895 was it's incredible accuracy!
I found the 405 gr. hard cast from Orgeon trails silver bullet to be very accurate and a deadly round or elk and deer

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to go with the Barnes 300 grain TSX. They are monolithic and therefore they are longer for the weight and caliber. They have a great BC and can be driven at a higher velocity giving a flatter trajectory. I have great success with them in the accuracy department as well. Then there is the benefit of how they drop game.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Horn 325 FTX

Well this is an issue I am dealing with too.Luckily I can shoot at home and just starting to try some combinations.The Hornady 325 gr ftx's shoot well enough but I surely do not like trimming the brass so short for the crimp required.I keep brass separate for this particular bullet for this reason.From what I read it could fracture to...but I am just beginning .I will happily share data with you.The fun is just starting
Hello
I shoot the 325 FTX out of my Marlin 1895GS ported. I did not have to trim the brass down. Not understanding why the brass needs trimming?
Thanks.
Barry

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have a Rossi Rio Grande chambered in 45-70 Govt and it is probably the most accurate levergun I own. I force myself to say that as I am a 444 Marlin nut.

I designed three cast bullets for my use;a 310, 360, & 435 grain but the latter remains my favorite. I just took the rifle on a plains mule deer hunt and was prepared to shoot 225 yards but the hunt, once there, was a bust. We were rained out. Actually the canyon country was flooded out.

Cast with a 95/5 wheel weights/tin alloy the large bullet weighs in at 424-grains. The Rossi is a 336 clone so I don't load it as stout as I would an 1895 based action and instead use a max of 35.0K PSI. For my use that is 50.3-grains which produces 1895 FPS from the 20" barrel.

The rifle is scoped with a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 and what I've done is set it up for a 3" Point Blank Range which allows it to be "zeroed" at 150 yards. The minus 3" happens pretty quick at 175 yards but the rest isn't as bad as it seems as I use the reticle features from there. At 200 yards it is the horizontal crosshair across the back and at 225 yards the point of the lower post on the lower line of the chest. This works out really well. There are wind and spin drift considerations with a large projectile, any projectile really, and they must be compensated for as well for precision shooting. I've included my ballistic & terminal charts that I use, they run out through 225 yards as I consider that my limit of shooting on a game animal.

I hated that the hunt disappointed the rifle as I had always promised a mule deer. So last night I took it out back and found a large boar hog for it about 9:00. Not much to the 70 yard shot. I was pretty beat from my trip up into the Texas Panhandle so I just left it for the night and pulled it in this morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a reproduction Buffalo Rifle with a long brass scope. I shoot 350 grain cast reloads with R5744 powder--loaded light for a so called vintage gun. (this is a modern made vintage gun, so could take modern loads, but in my old age I load for minimum recoil rather than maximum energy) When my game is on, this combo will place 3 shots touching at 100 yards. You can clearly hear the smack in the dirt behind the target.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
While visiting family last year in MN, I spent a day on a range with a bunch of old fellows shooting a levergun big bore match. Most of the rifles were 45-70s. That day was the 600 yard shooting and it was extremely impressive, all open or receiver sights. The following day was 1,000 yards but I was not able to attend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I'm new to this forum but I've got a question that I can't find much information on. I live in Ohio, and in our gun season we are limited to using straight wall rifles to hunt deer. A little while ago I got a Marlin 1895 with a 22" barrel. My current load is 46 gr. of IMR 4198 and a 300 grain hornady interlock. It's a very potent cartridge at close range but I can't get any accuracy out of it at 200 yards which is the farthest shots that I have for deer. So I was thinking of switching it up and using either the beartooth 405 gr or the 425 to try for better accuracy. Which bullet or load in general do you think would be the best for my goal of accurate 200 yard shots.
I shoot Cowboy Lever Action Silhouettes with a Browning 1886 and use 400 gr. cast,Missouri Bullet Co. or Lyman 457193 if I have any cast on the rams at 200.28 grs. of AA 5744 works well.I use 300 gr.bullets on the chickens, pigs,and turkey's.IMR 4759 is better but some fool at Hodgdon decided to stop making it.Lucky for me I bought several 8 lbs. cans when I found out they discontinued it.I have a Marlin Cowboy 45/70 too.It shoots these loads well also.But at 7 lbs.vs 9.9 lbs. for the Browning recoil is more then I want to deal with for 40 rounds sometimes 80 in a couple of hours.The Browning will shoot 3-4 inch groups from the bench with peep sights at 200 and 4759. Not quite that good with 5744,but well enough for silhouettes.
As far as power goes millions of buffalo were killed with 405 gr. bullets and black powder at lower velocities then the above loads give

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's some load info you might be interested in trying that I found a few years ago at Nosler.com using the Combined Technology 300 gr, Ballistic Silver Tip bullet. For me, this has been the most accurate load I have used in my Marlin 45/70 GS. This bullet has produced D.R.T. (dead right there) results every time. I can't comment on how it performs at 200 plus yards or more as I generally don't shoot at those kind of distances, but it has been a very reliable performer on distances within the 150 yard range regarding accuracy and performance on game. If you think you might be interested in trying these loads, I've included a link to the web page at the bottom of this.

TESTED O.A.C.L. S.D.
300gr. RN 2.550" 0.204
CASE TYPE:
CASE HOLDS: 64.6
POWDER MUZZLE VEL. LOAD DENSITY
TYPE F.P.S. (VOLUME)
A-2015 58.0 MAX. 2128 ** **
Most Accurate 56.0 2053
Powder Tested 54.0 * 1968
IMR 4227 47.5 MAX. 2146
45.5 2078
43.5 * 1981
RL7 53.0 MAX. 2193
51.0 2092
49.0 * 2069
IMR 4198 51.5 MAX. 2228
49.5 * 2136
47.5 2022
H335 67.0 MAX. 2282 ** **
65.0 * 2210 ** **
63.0 2187
102%
99%
45-70 Govt. - 300 grain (Strong Action Only) 458 Cal. (.458")
MAXIMUM S.A.A.M.I. O.A.C.L. 2.550"
86%
82%
91%
87%
102%
99%
95%
86%
82%
79%
89%
CARTRIDGE
GRS.
Gr. WATER
WLR
45-70 Government 300 grain (Strong Action Only)
Winchester
24" Pac-Nor
1-20"
Version 8.0
B.C.
CT® Ballistic Silvertip® 0.191
* = Most accurate load tested
** = Compressed load
http://load-data.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/pdf/45-70-govt/45-70-Govt-300gr.pdf

1 - 20 of 25 Posts