Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing a lot of thinking on this. The .300 RUM, just doesnt fill a niche I need filled, and I could use the cash out of it. I have however been looking (hard) at the Rem CDL SF in .257 Wby, and the Ruger .375 in the African version. I'm probably getting out of the .30 caliber business, and will also sell my Boat Paddle .300 Win Mag. I'm keeping the 7mm Rem Mag because it's the wifes and she loves it. I will also keep my .338 Win Mag, unless I get a .375 or .416, then I have no need for the .338 either.

I just do not have time to handload for them all, and work up accurate loads. So I'm now looking at owning just ONE, high powered rifle to cover me on everything. Less hassle, with only one cartridge to load for. Im not interested in owning tons of guns anymore. I've also considered a .378 Wby Mag.

I hope to, in the next few years, to get to hunt Elk, Moose and Bears. I know the calibers I have are fine, but just looking to change things up, as a lot in my life is changng.

To me, the .375 Ruger African makes a lot of sense. 23" barrel, plenty manuverable, and powerful. The 300gr Interlock would probably make a perfect all around bullet. I am open to suggestions (and trades) here, as long as it isn't in the .30-06 family.

So, what ya got guys ?

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i too like the idea of a 375 for an all around rilfe but my thoughts lean towards the 250 & 270 grain weights for north american game. that and i'm still inclined to give the 376 styer a try, i know its not what you are looking for but for some reason i'm kinda hung up on it... whenever i think about the 375 bore it keeps coming to mind as i know that i don't need much more than what it offers.
i can see selling your ultramag but i'd keep the 300 & 338 win mags...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Just ONE rifle :eek:

OK

Looking at your list of hunting priorities, and assuming you will likely hunt east of the Mississipi, far more than west of, I'd just keep the .338. It's not what I'd want to carry all day in the woods, but maybe you're up to that for a good time. I dumped my .375 M70, when I picked up a .35 Whelen. It's been good for three elk, and worked just as well as my .375 or 7mm Mag did, it's way lighter, and far more pleasant to shoot than the .375.

I have 14 rifles and shotguns, including .22's, and my TC black powder rifle. I guess if I had to get rid of one of them, it would be either the .243 or 7mm Mag. Not that I don't like 'em, just that they are the least versatile, to me. If I could only keep one serious hunting rifle, I'd go with the CDL Whelen.

·
Inactive account
330 Posts
Tang, anything that drives a 33 caliber or bigger bullet at a reasonable velocity 2500 fps or faster and you will achieve your goal. I always used to be a 7mm bullet kind of guy and still love the .284 caliber but over the last ten years I have come to embrace the .358 caliber bullet as a true hunting bullet. Moose, several elk, and many whitetails have fallen to a hand loaded 35 whelen. I don't care for the 30-06 but I do like the case as a parent..

Even though I have a couple .30 caliber rifles and they are perfectly capable I don't have much time for them. The .284 and .358 calibers cover anything and more than I would use my .308 caliber rifles for, so they just don't get much use anymore.

This will be easy for you. It just depends on what cartridge you want to use. There are many that will get it done all the hyped up cartridge names and glamor of something really does not matter. Only the velocity and caliber of bullet on target. What it comes out of is really immaterial.

Its fun to talk about but when the bullet leaves the barrel it really does not matter anymore.

p.s. .358 Norma magnum

good luck
GF

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Two options:

350 Rem mag w/ 22" barrel. 225 gr Barnes TSX @ 2830 fps

375 Ruger Alaskan w/20" barrel, if you still want something that will rattle your teeth. 220 gr Hornady SP @ 3085 fps, 270 gr Hornady SP @ 2730 fps.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two options:

350 Rem mag w/ 22" barrel. 225 gr Barnes TSX @ 2830 fps

375 Ruger Alaskan w/20" barrel, if you still want something that will rattle your teeth. 220 gr Hornady SP @ 3085 fps, 270 gr Hornady SP @ 2730 fps.

Lever, I found a beautiful M77 MkII in .350 Rem Mag. Would go great with the other three Rugers in my safe if I keep those.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
You could buy my .444 Marlin, and all the reloading setup, and you would be pretty happy with it. Plus it would put that Craig Boddington 7x57 #1 in my safe a lot sooner :D.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt, Im trying to work up a trade on a Stainless M77 MkII .350 Rem Mag. I have a Boat Paddle stock that would look good on it.

Is $600 a normal asking price for the MkII .350's ? there are 4 on GB

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They had one a week or so ago that sold for $440 that I wish I had bid on. I've seen others for $500.

Good luck!
Im trying to get them to give me, their rifle and $250 for my Sendero. Id love to have another SS boat paddle Ruger in my safe. I think I'm going to stick with all Ruger from now on.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
There's not a thing wrong with the .350RM (I do own one!). That being said, I'd recommend you look at max loads for bullet weights over 225gr in both the .350RM and the .35Whelen. I own both and like both, but I believe you'll find the .35Whelen actually handles the 225s and especially the 250gr bullets better than the .350RM. Take a few minutes and check out loads listed from Double Tap Ammo, Stars and Stripes Ammo and Conley Precision Ammo to give you some numbers to compare these heavier loads. Using 200gr loads, it's a toss-up, but when you get into heavier/longer bullets, the .35W pulls away from the .350, due apparently to the longer bullet's intrusion into the short .350 case. The newer Remington Model Sevens in .350RM are also sporting much faster twists than the older Ruger and Rem rifles. I believe the new ones have a 1:10" twist to help with the heavier loads. Both are fine cartridges and I think what you are looking for can certainly be found in the great .358 niche.

Good Luck with whichever you choose!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love the .358 Norma since it uses the same brass as the 7mm Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag.

But, as much as I love the 20" barreled Ruger Alaskans, I think I need atleast one wood stock rifle in my safe. Im leaning heavily towards the .375 Ruger African.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know if it's still a problem but at one time Ruger was having problems with its stocks breaking with the 375 Alaskan from what I've heard. You might want to check that out. You can't go wrong with the 375 H&H as an all around caliber.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
Man, I would vote for the 338 Win Mag staying in your safe. I kinda think it is the most versatile of the bunch, you have lower weight bullets like a 200gr whatever to hunt deer with at 300 Mag speeds, and then you can load up to 275gr bullets for really big stuff. I kinda think if I was limited to two rifles it would be my 270WSM and 338 Win Mag.

I also agree about the 35 Whelen being a hair more versatile with heavier bullets. I am having excellent luck pushing 250's to 2550 with 0 issues and they are insanely accurate for a box stock factory CDL. The only reason this rifle wouldn't make the cut as an all arounder is I wouldn't trust to wood to stay stable in extremely wet weather, other than that, it is an awesome cartridge.

The 338 Win Mag is very useful for alot of big game hunters and puts serious holes in big game. It is not needed for alot of smaller big game, but it doesn't hurt anything either. The 375 Ruger or H&H would be a just about as versatile, but it is alot of bullet to hunt Va deer with! Either way, sounds like you are on a mission. Scotty

·
Inactive
654 Posts
The 358 is a very cool cartridge. Pretty good round out to 300 yards and maybe a bit more with the correct bullet. It surely puts the hurt on deer in woods. One of my favorite rifles to carry in the New York deer woods. Scotty

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
There's not a thing wrong with the .350RM (I do own one!). That being said, I'd recommend you look at max loads for bullet weights over 225gr in both the .350RM and the .35Whelen. I own both and like both, but I believe you'll find the .35Whelen actually handles the 225s and especially the 250gr bullets better than the .350RM. Take a few minutes and check out loads listed from Double Tap Ammo, Stars and Stripes Ammo and Conley Precision Ammo to give you some numbers to compare these heavier loads. Using 200gr loads, it's a toss-up, but when you get into heavier/longer bullets, the .35W pulls away from the .350, due apparently to the longer bullet's intrusion into the short .350 case. The newer Remington Model Sevens in .350RM are also sporting much faster twists than the older Ruger and Rem rifles. I believe the new ones have a 1:10" twist to help with the heavier loads. Both are fine cartridges and I think what you are looking for can certainly be found in the great .358 niche.

Good Luck with whichever you choose!!
Not my experience at all. The 350 RM has more case capacity and operates at a higher pressure the the 35W. I get higher velocities from my 22", 350 RM than my 24", 35 WHelen with 225's and 250's. I'd speculate that only by loading the 35 Whelen excessively could you match the 350 RM velocities.

Remington's have always had a 1 in 16" twist (including the new ones on their website), Ruger's a 1 in 12". My Remington 673 shoots 225's and 250's very accurately.

BTW...long bullets protrude into all cases and displace powder. The amount of powder displaced is inconsequential.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
Leverite, I think you are probably right, but the 35 Whelen is loaded so anemically, I think the only way to make it really shine to handload with it, and your right, you are going to be above normal pressure. I know Alliant does list data showing 59.0gr of RL15 behind a 250gr Hornady in their load data. This is what I use, and I am sure it is above factory specs, but between measuring out my brass before and after firing, and primers and bolt lift, this load seems entirely safe and not "pushing it". The 350 is loaded hotter, but if you can load a 270, 280, 25-06 to higher pressures, shy is the Whelen held back so much? Not arguing, as I think your right, but I don't think the Whelen is really behind nor in front of the 350RM, just the same, through a long action, and it does have a little more powder space with the 250's and above bullet weights. Scotty

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I don't own a 35 Whelen, but I'll agree that the 350 RM at least matches, and in my case as well it exceeds many listed velocities for the 35 Whelen.

Cases are easier to get with the 35 Whelen, which is handy, but my case life has been good with the 350 RM, despite its "spare tire".

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Mines a Remington 350 RM, but I think the Ruger has a better setup with the faster rifling twist and a longer magazine box.

I got a close out buy on the Remington and it shoots very well, so no complaints. But if I was starting over, I'd go w/ the RUger.

Certainly would not knock a 35 Whelen, as I have one and load it hot, too!

But, the 375 RUger puts them both to bed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.