Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any significant difference between the RCBS and the Hornady? Main difference I see is the Hornady has a lever you move up and down to tighten on the bullet, and the RCBS has a lever you turn sideways. The price is within a couple bucks.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Having both and using them over the years I can say without reservation that the Hornady is the better puller. The time it takes too turn the RCBS collet draw bolt verses the Hornady Cam Lock has too be experienced before appreciation for the cam lock can be completely understood. Final verdict is the increase in production with the cam lock during the same time interval. Gave my RCBS unit to my nephew several years ago and haven't look back.

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
Bullet puller...

I have the RCBS; it works great.
I, too, have the RCBS. I find just a quarter-turn will both tighten and loosen the collet enough to both grip and drop the bullet. Once you develop a technique with it, you can remove the bullets quite quickly.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I like the idea of Hornady's cam lock puller. Seems to me it would be considerably faster. Since I have a RCBS and a bunch of collets I'll just stick with it, I don't do much bullet pulling anyway. Bet with a little fiddling around I could rig up a cam lock on the RCBS.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
I thought the same MontyF but dropped the idea when gave it too my nephew. Sad part was I had all the collets for the different bullet diameters. Stumbled upon a fantastic buy at DTGCA show in Fargo few years ago where I acquired the collets. Really wouldn't be too hard making cam conversion now that I think about it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I'll go Hornady.

I've used the inertia puller before and its a pain.

I've been testing a few different loads in three different calibers, and loaded up a bunch of rounds in the loadings that worked on paper. After shooting four deer and a coyote with them, I decided to tweek them a little for better terminal performance. (Great accuracy, good killing power, but only 1 of the 4 deer had an exit hole.) The cost of the salvaged bullets, powder, and primer will pay for the puller.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Hornady is screw-adjustable for how much the collet can close with the lever. And there's a lock nut on the adjustment (they just added it a couple years ago). So once you set it up for just the right amount of grip but not too much to damage the bullet, there's no guessing how much to tighten the collet on every pull. With the RCBS, it may be only a 1/4 turn, but it has to be the same 1/4 turn every time.

Mine even works in my Forster Co-Ax press. An RCBS won't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anything is fine for one or two rounds, but pull a cupla boxes and you'll luv the Hornady. With the lever you can pull slugs about as fast as you can seat them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.