Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which da revolvers will hold up to a steady diet of warm/hot loads? I owned and carried a S&W mod 66 for years but mostly shot 38 spec.. I was always told not to shoot a steady diet of 357s because the gun would " shoot loose ". I retired this week and turned in my trusty Glock. Now I'm remembering my wheelgun days fondly and want to pick up a 357. However, I don't want to worry about the gun shooting loose. Weights no longer a problem since it wont be carried on my hip 8 to 12 hrs. a day.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,019 Posts
Yes, the Ruger's many .357 wheel guns should stand the full load shooting without undue wear. Also, the S&W Model 27 and 29 are heavily built to take the punishment. Doubt if you could get the Cold Python to shoot loose, either. I've still got my duty revolver, a S&W Mod 66. Haven't shot it for some time - will most probably hold up to full loads for the infrequent times it gets used.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Ruger, definitely Ruger. Even my wife's SP-101 is still as tight as the day we bought it, used no less, and since we got it the pistol has had many hundreds, probably over a thousand, full power .357 loads through it and the only wear is on the shooter. Who knows how many it has had through it total.

·
Banned
106 Posts
As most have already suggested the Ruger GP100 is a great choice. I've put thousands of rounds through mine and it's tight as a drum. It handles loads that match the original 357 ballistics fine as well.

If you prefer Smiths the S&W 686 isn't a weak gun and should last as long as you do shooting moderate to top end loads.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe that Ruger had designed the Security Six and Smith and Wesson had built the models 19/66 for lots of 38s and occasional 357s. They found that they weren't standing up well to constant 357 diets. The Ruger GP100, and the Smith "L" frame, (X86 family), are a size larger and stronger than their predecessors, and built to handle constant 357 loads. I think their design makes the Ruger stronger, but the Smith will take it.

Darrel

·
Banned
4 Posts
Dan Wessons, every bit as tough as a Ruger and excellent accuracy.

BTY Kdub most likely meant to type M28 and not 29 (a .44mag).

·
Banned
105 Posts
It really depends on your brand and action preference. The S&W "L" Frame series double action revolvers are built to take a steady diet of 357 Magnum rounds. They are my first choice, although I have several 357s made by other manufactures. How many magnums do you intend to shoot per month, per year?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I fired 200 rounds 357 mag, 180gr FNGC at full throttle and 150 rounds 44mag, 310 gr FNGC this weekend alone. Both out of Ruger DA's. By some standards this isn't much.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'll side with Majic on the Dan Wesson idea, you can't bust em'. The DW was my first revolver at age 16 and I've had it for 15 years. I mostly shoot full power 180gr loads with it, with a healthy dose of full power 158's as well. Shoots as well after 20K+ rounds as the day my father bought it for me. I own many different revolvers and I believe the Dan Wesson to be superior in design and accuracy to all others. The Ruger GP-100, or Blackhawk, are VERY sturdy revolvers. There is nothing wrong with a Model 27 S&W either, the only flavor currently available is stainless as far as I know, making it a M627 that doesn't look quite as nice as some of the older revolvers in my opinion. The tapered shroud is a "love it or hate it" I guess. I haven't shot a newer Taurus in the .357, but I've been very impresses by their recent efforts in larger bore revolvers. If weight is no issue, I'd personally pick up a used M27 S&W, especially if it is one that is covered by the lifetime warranty which came into play around 1990.If you can bear the price of a new DW with a factory trigger job, you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Naturally my first thought was Ruger. I think the L or N frame Smith will do it too though. Then Dan Wesson came up. They were my staple 357's for many years as a young man. Never shot loose. Never gave me any trouble if they came out of the box ok (DW had lots of quality control problems at one point). Super accurate. I got away from them and now all my 357's say Ruger on them. Still, if the current "Dan's" are as good as they were 23 years ago, then they are a worth option.

Great memories............ Bill M

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I owned a Dan Wesson back in the 70s and enjoyed it. However it was a bit heavy for a duty gun so I sold it and got a mod 66. I wouldn't mind picking up a Dan Wesson but the price of a new one is high. I worry about a used Dan Wesson because I heard they had some quality problem for a few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd go with the Dan Wessons myself. You can buy used ones on auctionarms or ebay for $200 to $250. I have 2 357's, a 44 and a 445 Supermag. I love them all. I have had a S&W 686 and a Taurus 357. I really liked them both and they were accurate guns, but they cannot hold a candle to the Dan Wesson for accuracy and durablity. I really like Rugers, but when you have the best (Dan Wesson) it is ahrd to justify buying the rest. The large frame and supermag frames are truly massive to carry, but the small frame is very comfortable for me. I have the 2 1/2", 4",6" and 8" barrels and I can use whichever suits the task at hand.

You just can't beat the Dan Wesson.

Roll Tide

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another vote for the GP-100 from Ruger. I have had mine since 1987 and have shot more than 25,000 rounds through it. No problems.
-Mike

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
1 vote for Ruger again--cause they build tank-like firearms
1 vote for Smith & Wesson models 27 & 28. You can't kill the hiway patrolman model either
but here's a twist;
1 vote for Colt, in the trooper series. I have had mine for about 2 years now and it'll spit out what ever she eats! Rock solid!

·
Registered
20 Posts
ruger Gp100/Sp101/S&W686+/have fired 1000's of rds. in them not a problem for me also like being able to take them rugers apart for detailed cleaning

·
Registered
112 Posts
So, does anyone know for sure how many full house .357 loads it would take to shoot a model 19 loose? I've always suspected this is largely a load of horse hockey, at least where factory loads are concerned. Does anybody have actual data or experience with this?

·
Banned
106 Posts
So, does anyone know for sure how many full house .357 loads it would take to shoot a model 19 loose?
I don't think there is a specific number. It's going to vary from individual gun to gun and depend heavily on the exact load that you're shooting. Some have reported shooting them loose in fewer than 500 rounds, others don't have a problem after 20 years of shooting magnums.

I've never heard of anyone shooting a GP100 loose. Reports of shooting a 686 loose are few and far between as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
My vote goes to the Rugers. The GP100 is a brute strong gun, but I also really like the older Security-Six revolvers. They are very strong, and markedly lighter in weight to the GP 100. Although the GP is a stronger gun, I've not seen any of the Security-Six, or Speed-Service-Six, come loose with a steady diet of full-house .357's. I still really like these older guns.

My 2 cents worth!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
13 Posts
m141a said:
1 vote for Ruger again--cause they build tank-like firearms
1 vote for Smith & Wesson models 27 & 28. You can't kill the hiway patrolman model either
but here's a twist;
1 vote for Colt, in the trooper series. I have had mine for about 2 years now and it'll spit out what ever she eats! Rock solid!

1)If you were to read the history, of the Ruger Security-Six(Also, applies to the Service-Six and Speed-Six)you would see, that Ruger designed these guns to withstand constant, .357 magnum, firings(Unlike the S&W "K" frame .357's). The newer, GP-100, is a larger gun(S&W "L" frame size)and was based upon the original design of the Security-Six-so, it is a little stronger(But, the Security-Six and the other Six-Series revolvers, are **** strong-and, have "Historically" been known to last and last, under the constant pounding, of , 357's)!

2)I like the older, Six-Series revolvers-because they are not only strong guns-but, also, because they are roughly the same size as an S&W "K" frame(Easier handling, than the Ruger GP-100)and(Just my opinion)look better than the GP-100! But of course, if the larger size of the GP-100, doesn't matter(Or, it's lessor, handling capabilities)then, the heavier weight of the GP-100, will aid in controlling the heavy .357 magnum loads! However, the Security-Six and Service-Six, were also made(In later years)in a heavy barrel configuration(Not as heavy as the GP-100-but, still much heavier, than the standard barrel, on these Six-Series, revolvers)! Lastly, Ruger actually made an update(Made the heavy barrel, even heavier)in around 1982-84!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts