Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your experience and expertise.......Looking for a DA revolver to just shoot and enjoy and for defense if ever needed.

There seems to be dozens of Smith & Wesson models over the years, plus Taurus, Ruger etc.

A longer barrel, 5" plus, just looks better to me and I've always loved blued on long guns, so those are my only preferences.

Thanks in advance for your time and info!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,963 Posts
For strength, durability, accuracy and cost, it's pretty hard to beat a Ruger. I have all three you mentioned and would pick the Ruger if I could have just one of them.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Henry,
you can't go too far wrong with any of the makes you listed, unless it was a early Taurus, they where not what they are now in the early days. Since you're not doing concealed carry from the sounds of it, I'd buy one of the models with a larger frame. If you want a blued S&W you're going to have to buy a used, or new previous production, model because I dont believe they make blue revolvers anymore. The Ruger GP-100 is a very sturdy, accurate revolver that is very pleasant to shoot with any .357 loads in the 6" barrel length. Taurus makes so many different models, your best bet would probably be to peruse their website to see what they have if you haven't already done so. HERE is the link to their website. My favorite DA revolver is the Dan Wesson. They are a little pricey new, but are worth it. Good examples can be had used for around $300. These revolvers feature barrels that can be replaced with several different lengths(at home), are very durable, and exceptionally accurate. These revolvers will also accomodate any style of grip that you can think of. HERE is a link to their website if you are interested.

I forgot to mention that the Dan Wesson will be referred to as a "small frame" on their website, this is in relation to the monster hand cannons they produce. Their "small frame" is a full sized revolver without a doubt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for your posts kdub and kciH......just the kind of information I was looking for.

Lots of fun looking for a new gun......I've had various rifles and shotguns over the years but this will be my first handgun.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dan Wesson, I love my 445 supermag. I guess I am biased because I am a Dan Wesson NUT. The others are good but if you want the most versital revolver out there then the Dan Wesson is the way to go. You could change barrels from 2.5 inchers up to 10 inchers and have them ported or not. But you wont need any porting for a 357 mag with any load.

Accuracy will be much better than the rest you mentioned too. Extreme accruacy is the call of the day with a Dan Wesson around.

Good luck with your search.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts