Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you find more reliable, and if you were under attack
which would you prefer to have in your possession to ward off
and assailant...a semi-auto pistol or revolver? Why?

Kindest Regards,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
541 Posts
Another one of these huh? :p

I think whatever you are proficient at would be the best choice of equipment, regardless of caliber or style or any accessories, or ammunition, or anything else. Any amount of do-dads wouldn't help one bit if you can't hit what your shooting at.

If the equipment is well understood and looked after, I don't think you'd have a problem with either.

Remember, the gun isn't the most important thing in your self-defense tool box.

Take my advise with a grain of salt, I am Canadian after all. :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
Revolver. Hands down.

One pull, one boom. No boom? Pull again! No tap-racks, double feeds, mag fails or fail to eject.

For that matter, I rely on a SxS, external hammer 12ga as well. As a "character" reference....

Realistically, I don't expect too many problems that can't be handled with 6 rounds of 357 and 2 doses of 00Buck.

If for whatever reason one does arise, I have additional fighting iron in the reserves!

·
Banned
43 Posts
It doesn't matter what you carry - the way you're trained is the way you will react when tested. Find whatever you feel most comfortable with and find a formal training class.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Modern hand guns today, both pistols and revolvers, are equally reliable.
BUT, if the pistol fails to fire it will require more assessment and correction than the revolver, which only requires you to simply pull the trigger again. Thus for those who do not wish to spend the time to become very proficient at the immediate action drills need to handle the different stoppages encountered with the pistol, the revolver is the best choice. And this is 95+% of the people who get a gun for self defense. ;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
12 ga. pump shotgun :D

Oh and hey, if it's just handguns, and I know it's coming.... I'll take my .500 JRH. Can't way to see the look on some miscreant's face looking down that barrel!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Modern hand guns today, both pistols and revolvers, are equally reliable.
BUT, if the pistol fails to fire it will require more assessment and correction than the revolver, which only requires you to simply pull the trigger again. Thus for those who do not wish to spend the time to become very proficient at the immediate action drills need to handle the different stoppages encountered with the pistol, the revolver is the best choice. And this is 95+% of the people who get a gun for self defense. ;)
Its not that I don't want to be proficient (I believe that I am, though by no means an expert) I just don't want to put down the rifle/shotgun/club that I may be carrying in the other hand to do so!

·
Registered
332 Posts
My personal order of trust: Single barrel shotgun, double barrel shotgun, modern revolver, and then the rest.

I most often carry a revolver (S&W442 or sometimes a Taurus 66), but I do have a certain autoloader (SIG 239) that I really do like.

For home defense it is either a H&R 12ga or Stoeger coach 12ga.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I would put my trust in a revolver just due to simplicity. I hope I'm never in a situation I can't get out of with six shots!

·
Banned
484 Posts
I sally forth every day armed with both; a Glock 19 in a belt holster and a S&W 638 in my pocket. I consider both to be relaible. I carried a backup gun for 25 years in uniform and it's a habit that's hard to break (as if I wanted to).

·
Banned
674 Posts
I have both, used both extensively, am comfortable with both, have had both have failures. Diagnosed failures, corrected problem and continue to use. Only gun in my possession with a function problem is at the gun doctor. When I get it back it will once again become primary HD gun and its a Dan Wesson revolver and you really don't want to know how many rounds have gone through it. Last gun that went in because of problems was a 1911A1 NM pistol, works fine now.

Answer to your question, no choice, both are reliable and I would trust either.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Myself.

I've been trained to make effective use of whatever tools are present in the situation. Use your head and practice everything you think could use to prevent or end an attack.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My pick is a G26 with CorBon 115 gr. 2 shot mag extension for 13 shots. Im able to hit a lot better than I can with a comparable revolver. Sometimes I use a 44 mag Taurus Tracker but its rare.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Agree with the posts recommending using what you like or are comfortable with. A SASS nut with a single action "cowboy gun" could wipe out a couple BGs quick. I would put hours of practice ahead of a particular revolver or pistol. Imagine Jerry Miculek and Bob Munden in a "duel" - Under the best circumstances for each Jerry would be a dead man. Now if both had their guns out - who knows.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I believe the question here was about your opinion on the 'reliability' of the two types of equipment.
From strictly a mechanical stand point, as I stated above, there is very little difference with good quality modern hand guns.
But from a training stand point there is a big difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts